Cold gas = more power? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 12-20-12, 23:59   #1
astat4

Default Cold gas = more power?

So I was at work and its like.... 43 degrees turned my bike on to warm it up. Warmed it up nd took off, so when I go WOT the bike pulled like a mofo.! Was it the cold air its sucking in cause I know motors work better with cold air yeah. But what about fuel? Does it make difference if the gas was cold cause I could feel my tank freezing on my legs..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-12, 00:18   #2
Tex2k2013

I can't answer your question definitively but I imagine the difference you felt was primarily due to the fact that air is denser when cold, as you pointed out that does increase power a bit.

Old 12-21-12, 08:48   #3
DecepticonDon
BOTM Marshall

Like Tex said, it has to do with the air being cold and therefore more dense.
Cold fuel actually atomizes poorly.

Side note: I like riding in cooler weather because the throttle response is so much crisper

Old 12-21-12, 12:25   #4
Smoke

Yep, as illustrated by our super/turbocharged resident nutters, our bikes are restricted by air, and not fuel, intake.

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Old 12-21-12, 12:49   #5
CitadelPilot

I remember back in the day racers would chill their fuel...especially in F1. I think it's due to the lack of vapor running through the lines, pure fuel.

Old 12-21-12, 13:31   #6
Serious

Yes fuel like most fluids is more dense at colder temperatures.

Old 12-21-12, 13:58   #7
wfire19

If i recall correctly back from my automotive class in highschool... you want cold air and warm fuel.... Cold air is more denser you thus giving you more oxygen which is the key to the gas igniting, then you want warm fuel as it being warm helps the gas vapors atomize better allowing for it to mix better with the more denser air.

It follows the same principles, i believe, of using NO2 super cooled, dense air mixing with the fuel gives better HP....

please dont quote me any of this, this is just things i think ive picked up over my short years here on earth

Old 12-21-12, 14:48   #8
Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfire19 View Post
If i recall correctly back from my automotive class in highschool... you want cold air and warm fuel.... Cold air is more denser you thus giving you more oxygen which is the key to the gas igniting, then you want warm fuel as it being warm helps the gas vapors atomize better allowing for it to mix better with the more denser air.

It follows the same principles, i believe, of using NO2 super cooled, dense air mixing with the fuel gives better HP....

please dont quote me any of this, this is just things i think ive picked up over my short years here on earth
Sorry that's not the case. You want the charge to be as dense as possible therefore colder is always better. Fuel chilling has been banned in almost all racing series for a reason.

BTW, cool fact, the mclaren SLR actually uses the AC system to cool the fuel before it's injected.

Old 12-21-12, 19:34   #9
Dewilmoth

I'm not sure the info about cold fuel being better for power is correct. I know for a fact that turbine aircraft heat the fuel prior to sending it to the motor.

Old 12-21-12, 19:50   #10
jardineD675

Does it heat it for aircraft because of the freeze point and for high altitudes? Having it banned from competitions sounds like it def gives an edge.

Sent from my X10a using Motorcycle.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement