Jennings Track 12/16 with some pics and media - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Track Days

Track Days Track days and other non-racing related track events

Old 12-17-12, 10:49   #1
SeoulMan

Default Jennings Track 12/16 with some pics and media

Finally got back to the track after recouping from an ankle sprain from the previous track day. Thanks to TJ's help and advice had the bike ready to go well before the ankle was 100%.

My goals for the day were have fun, work on reference point sighting and entry speed, smooth throttle control, and commit my body into turns a little bit better. My first two sessions I felt really hesitant and nervous about the speed so naturally I was lazy entering corners and my line was rather crooked. I asked one of the control riders, Travis, to tow me and watch me for a couple laps and naturally he was happy to oblige. After following him and getting a feel for the speed my nervousness subsided and I was able to rest of the day to try and accomplish what I had set out to accomplish.

All of the subsequent sessions were a blast and I felt like I had started to make headway in my reference point sighting and entry speed. I tried to limit my brake use to get a feel of exactly how much speed a could and would need to enter the corners with to stay on line. Travis after one of the later sessions of the day pointed out my feet were lazy and my toes were a little out of position. Did one more session working on my foot placement and it felt almost like my toenails had to be on the pegs maybe it's just the boots. I was pretty beat before our last session so I decided to pack up instead of going out one last time and ending up with more character on my bike and leathers.

Here's some pics

Here are a couple compare and contrast photos

Before

After

Before

After

Again constructive criticism and pointers are always welcome! I'll post the videos once they are uploaded on youtube.

Last edited by SeoulMan; 12-17-12 at 11:19.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-12, 13:14   #2
Hokie

Looks like you're on the right track. Watch your toes as they are pointing out. You could also get off the bike more.

Old 12-17-12, 16:50   #3
SeoulMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
Looks like you're on the right track. Watch your toes as they are pointing out. You could also get off the bike more.
Do you mean my toes are just dangling off too much or is my inside toe not supposed to be turned out? Any suggestions on hanging farther off the bike?

Old 12-17-12, 17:21   #4
sittingturbo

Great progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 12-17-12, 18:00   #5
Hokie

Keep your toes tight on the side of the bike. Right now you're riding with your feet pointed outwards. As you lean more and more, you'll start dragging toes, which can get nasty if your foot catches and it breaks your ankle.

As far as hanging off more, just force yourself to do it. Ride slower than you normally do and make a point to do it. Outside nipple on the Triumph logo of the inside of the tank, basically.

Old 12-17-12, 20:14   #6
SeoulMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
Keep your toes tight on the side of the bike. Right now you're riding with your feet pointed outwards. As you lean more and more, you'll start dragging toes, which can get nasty if your foot catches and it breaks your ankle.
Yeah I definitely want to avoid the broken ankle. May I ask with my toes tight to the bike how do I manage to get my leg/knee out? I was trying it a little earlier and it felt a little awkward. Would you know any helpful videos or pictures?

Old 12-17-12, 20:58   #7
SeoulMan

Here's the link to the media forums with the videos

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...776#post895776

Old 12-18-12, 09:53   #8
TRMN8TR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulMan View Post
Yeah I definitely want to avoid the broken ankle. May I ask with my toes tight to the bike how do I manage to get my leg/knee out? I was trying it a little earlier and it felt a little awkward. Would you know any helpful videos or pictures?
It does feel awkward, but try and think of it like this. Keep your toes on the pegs, rotate your heel in as much as you can instead of turning your toes out. You can only turn your heel so much, it will hit the swingarm and heel guards. But it will help keep the toes on the pegs where they belong. Being on the balls of your feet will also help.

And finally, dragging your knee at the speeds you are probably going isn't always necessary. Some people try so hard to stick the knee out just to get it down. As you go faster, that will happen. Then, as you go faster, get WAY off the bike and get your head WAY down. Focus on actually pushing the bike up and away from you, and you'll find that you can carry the same line through the same corner at the same speed, with WAY less lean angle. Then, go faster till you have reached the maximum lean angle while being off the bike, and you'll be the next DiSalvo. It's simple!

Old 12-18-12, 10:18   #9
SeoulMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8TR View Post
It does feel awkward, but try and think of it like this. Keep your toes on the pegs, rotate your heel in as much as you can instead of turning your toes out. You can only turn your heel so much, it will hit the swingarm and heel guards. But it will help keep the toes on the pegs where they belong. Being on the balls of your feet will also help.

And finally, dragging your knee at the speeds you are probably going isn't always necessary. Some people try so hard to stick the knee out just to get it down. As you go faster, that will happen. Then, as you go faster, get WAY off the bike and get your head WAY down. Focus on actually pushing the bike up and away from you, and you'll find that you can carry the same line through the same corner at the same speed, with WAY less lean angle. Then, go faster till you have reached the maximum lean angle while being off the bike, and you'll be the next DiSalvo. It's simple!
Awesome, thanks for the additional visualization of what should be occurring on the pegs. I remember reading about the "pushing" the bike back up during the corners and not really needing all the lean. I felt a little of that in my right hand turns during the sessions but my left turns felt slightly awkward at times, I think I needed to adjust my hand positions and maybe relax a little more on the bars.

Old 12-18-12, 13:01   #10
mprunty

Default It was nice to meet you Sunday

I was on the STR. I'm fine BTW.

You looked great out there! And, this is an awesome thread for instructive purposes.

Our AFJ gang will be back down there in force the second weekend in Feb.

mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement