Cornering: ass touching tail? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Riding Skills

Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

Old 12-16-12, 21:48   #1
Ricardo_

Default Cornering: ass touching tail?

After watching dozens of vids and observe millions of pictures, suddenly I realize everybory touches the bike's passenger seat/tail with their arses while taking corners.

Maybe that's why I'm having trouble to reach more lean angle and attack a corner at higher speeds; my body position sucks!!!!!

Look at this pic: left is me @ a trackday. This is a high lean corner with knee down... and in my right is a forum mate (dont remember who is, but he made a thread about his trackbike).

Look how I'm way too forward, and cant even put my upper body down.
And our mate, touches the tail with his ass and, because of this, his upper body is very low and he accomplishes a very good bp.

Im a small guy so maybe I cant touch the rear seat and keep my outside knee in the tank... so, Ill try as back as possible.

Now look at those pics ive found in google images... all touches the tail with their asses:

And watch this example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N3XbgPL2Qg
Well, its not a 100% good example because he lowsides, but I think the BP isnt the problem (throttle control maybe).

So, whats your thoughts about my "discovery"? Experienced riders please...

Im also following this BP while hard braking: http://www.sbkjapan.com/racerscorner...cornering.html
Alex Barros teached this to me in the school, but never said nothing about keeping as back as possible when leaning. Now makes sense only leaning chest and head, not sliding forward.

Last edited by Ricardo_; 12-16-12 at 21:57.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-12, 23:29   #2
aussieak

I have always been taught to move my arse back in the seat during cornering.
It has a number of benefits.
  • Puts more weight on the rear wheel and less on the front.
  • It also puts my wrists and elbows in the best position to take weight of the bars so I push the bars with lateral movement when starting the turn.
Whilst I don't practice knee down I do find I have much more stable bike in and out of the corner sliding back in the seat whilst cornering.
  2. WHITE OGGY KNOBS
  3. TRIUMPTH FACTORY ALARM
  4. TWINLIGHT3-COX RAD GUARD
  5. WATSEN FLUSH MOUNT FLASHERS
  6. GEL SEAT
  7. SHAVED STD SEAT

Old 12-16-12, 23:41   #3
dubguy85

I don't consider myself an ama rider, but I don't think I'm a slouch either.. I'm a coach for a trackday org here in the states, but here is some of my pics.. I don't touch my ass toward the tail at all.

Old 12-17-12, 00:05   #4
Rink675

It also depends on your body size....the general distance is to make sure you have a fist distance between your junk and the tank.

The biggest thing to consider when distance from the tank is if you can still get a good lock on the tank with your knee and how far you can stretch out off the seat. If you are too close on the tank you can't stretch out very far, if too far away you will be able to stretch out but wont be locked into the tank very well.

I could have my nuts on the tank or my ass on the tail of the bike, doesn't mean that all of the other riders do it means that it's right for me. Technique is roughly the same, however every rider does things a little bit different. Also those GP boys are taking corners with so much G force that it keeps them on the bike, look at Crutchlow and you will see his outside foot dangling off the peg on some of the deeper corners because his legs are short and he is off the bike so much.

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Old 12-17-12, 00:43   #5
louie3

From what I can tell and have learned, is body position is pretty subjective. Different people have different techniques and certain things work for some people and don't work for others. If you're crossed up, that's one thing, but far back in the saddle may work better for some people, and others sit closer to the tank.
There's no one way to do it, and there's a lot of wrong ways to do it. Lol I know that doesn't help much.

Just experiment with different positions and see what you ae comfortable with. I'm still learning it all too. And I don't think I will ever have it perfected, but I try to improve one or 2 small things each time out on the track.

"Life is all about maximizing experiences and minimizing regrets, and the last thing you want is to regret the experiences you didn't have." -MadMel

Old 12-17-12, 01:14   #6
MadMel

One thing you can do is put a bum stop pad on your bike. The second Google Image photo you posted has a big one. Particularly for shorter people, it can provide a stop for you to slide back against at the "right" distance. GP bikes are built to fit the rider, but production bikes will be large enough in the back-of-the-seat to handlebar span for a bigger rider.

eBay has the goods.

Last edited by MadMel; 12-17-12 at 01:19.

Old 12-17-12, 06:03   #7
Ricardo_

good idea, thanks.

well, i think im in the right path then... moving as back as i can, provides a good bp with my upper body low and arms correct for bar imputs.

maybe i can improve my corner speed this way

Old 12-17-12, 06:51   #8
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

I personally love touching a females ass in a straight away and corners.

Old 12-17-12, 06:53   #9
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink675 View Post
It also depends on your body size....the general distance is to make sure you have a fist distance between your junk and the tank.

The biggest thing to consider when distance from the tank is if you can still get a good lock on the tank with your knee and how far you can stretch out off the seat. If you are too close on the tank you can't stretch out very far, if too far away you will be able to stretch out but wont be locked into the tank very well.

I could have my nuts on the tank or my ass on the tail of the bike, doesn't mean that all of the other riders do it means that it's right for me. Technique is roughly the same, however every rider does things a little bit different. Also those GP boys are taking corners with so much G force that it keeps them on the bike, look at Crutchlow and you will see his outside foot dangling off the peg on some of the deeper corners because his legs are short and he is off the bike so much.
Crutchlow only does the leg out before a turn, he never does that during a corner. All his weight in on his legs, but the leg thing seems to be the new thing for most racers, yet no one really knows why they are doing. Most will claiming things like help slow the bike with more resistance or help with controling the bike while braking, but I think it is just a fad lol

Old 12-17-12, 07:25   #10
Ricardo_

i think he refer to his outside leg midlecorner.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement