Dainese vs A Star - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Riding Gear

Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

Old 12-16-12, 20:35   #1
Rink675

Default Dainese vs A Star

I never really looked into the Dainese racing gear until today, I have always had my eyes set on the Alpinestars gear but after seeing video reviews and seeing what is available on the website I am starting to lean towards Dainese.

One thing I really like about the Dainese 1pc suits is the W zip up system and the titanium shoulder and knee protectors as well as some other things too but I am a shorter guy at 5'5" but I have always had a more stocky build especially in the shoulders and one of the reviews I watched was saying that the W system helps with broader shoulders and not pulling the suit up and making the crotch area tight like I have with the suit I currently own.

The suit I am looking at is this one: http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbi...gender=2&cat=9

I think for the price it really offers a lot, it's not the lightweight kangaroo material but it's 10X better then what I have now (cortec latigo)

I also really like the gloves and boots more then the A* gear as well but around here there isn't any place that sells that high end race gear to try on and compare for myself.

If you were in the market for new gear which company would you be looking at and why?

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-12, 00:11   #2
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

RS Taichi will be my next brand of suit most likely and jacket. For gloves I stick with Held. I like RS, just because their gear is held to a very high standard out of Japan, their sizing is typically weird, so hopefully I can find a good suit that fits me, but right now my Alpine is still in great condition and have no reason to replace it.

My Alpinestar suit I got from TJ for a awesome price, but other than that I always think Alpinestar at their normal price is way to high for what you are getting compared to others until you get into their higher end stuff, and I think most of their gloves are total shit from my experience. Dainese makes great stuff, but all the bigger names do. Rev'it, Alpinestar, Teknic, Cortech, Held, Heroic, etc.

Just find one that fits you properly is what is important. Looks should be last on the list.

Old 12-17-12, 00:17   #3
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
RS Taichi will be my next brand of suit most likely and jacket. For gloves I stick with Held. I like RS, just because their gear is held to a very high standard out of Japan, their sizing is typically weird, so hopefully I can find a good suit that fits me, but right now my Alpine is still in great condition and have no reason to replace it.

My Alpinestar suit I got from TJ for a awesome price, but other than that I always think Alpinestar at their normal price is way to high for what you are getting compared to others until you get into their higher end stuff, and I think most of their gloves are total shit from my experience. Dainese makes great stuff, but all the bigger names do. Rev'it, Alpinestar, Teknic, Cortech, Held, Heroic, etc.

Just find one that fits you properly is what is important. Looks should be last on the list.

Oh it's not looks, it's a benefit but not a priority. I was just hoping that someone similar in size to me can say what brands they found to fit better and others to not. I really wish there was a local store here but guess I will have to wait until I get out to CA and then I can go to the actual Dainese store and try the stuff on.

Old 12-17-12, 03:19   #4
Moeman

Go to sportbiketrackgear web page and check out their RS T AICHI videos
Look up gloves such as EVO & WRX
Jackets such as T- Raps , GMX Motion , J826
Suits I do not have an example as I do not own one
Premium quality gear , awesome features , fair prices in comparison to how well the gear is put together if you decide to purchase the guys from sportbiketrackgear are top notch and will take good care of you in my humble opinion RS TaICHI is just as good but a tad cheaper

Old 12-17-12, 04:54   #5
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Dont know what RS Taichi gear you are looking at but it is typically not "cheaper" they are actually very weird about pricing and allowing stores to sell their stuff at a certain price. They are top notch gear, but it comes at a price which I am all for if the product is top notch.

Old 12-17-12, 08:48   #6
Victor Ward

You could go to Ducati Minneapolis to try on Dianese, SSB to try RS Taichi and Motoprimo for A*'s.
If you describe yourself as stocky RS Taichi may not be the way to go.
You may have to wait a while as inventories are pretty low.
CRA holds its new rider seminar in March at Motoprimo. They usually have loads of suits in at that time and offer a solid discount at the meeting. I would expect they have A*'s and Technic.

Old 12-17-12, 09:50   #7
timwu12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post

just a FYI, RS Taichi jackets are not made of the same japanese cowhide as their high end suits, nor are they made in Japan, but rather, they're made of brazilian cowhide from their factory in China. I, too, wanted a RS jacket to match my suit, but once I heard what it was made of, and from where, I passed

Old 12-17-12, 10:44   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwu12 View Post
.. they're made of brazilian cowhide from their factory in China. I, too, wanted a RS jacket to match my suit, but once I heard what it was made of, and from where, I passed
lol... and 99% of all motorcycle leather gear comes from other very politically-desirable countries like Pakistan and Vietnam. Only the very highest, top-shelf gear is actually made in Italy or Japan.

Old 12-17-12, 12:09   #9
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Ward View Post
You could go to Ducati Minneapolis to try on Dianese, SSB to try RS Taichi and Motoprimo for A*'s.
If you describe yourself as stocky RS Taichi may not be the way to go.
You may have to wait a while as inventories are pretty low.
CRA holds its new rider seminar in March at Motoprimo. They usually have loads of suits in at that time and offer a solid discount at the meeting. I would expect they have A*'s and Technic.
Oh crap I didn't even think to check a Ducati shop lol....thanks for the tip! I am actually leaving here in a month or so and wont be living in MN anymore. I am still upset that just two weeks ago Fontana had a trackday and the riding season here stopped months ago. I should have stayed in CA lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
lol... and 99% of all motorcycle leather gear comes from other very politically-desirable countries like Pakistan and Vietnam. Only the very highest, top-shelf gear is actually made in Italy or Japan.
Yea this is another reason why I wanted to buy Dainese, I would rather purchase from a company that makes something in their own country rather then out source jobs to lesser countries so they can profit more. Just the economics side coming out of me I guess....

Old 12-17-12, 12:24   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink675 View Post
..Yea this is another reason why I wanted to buy Dainese, I would rather purchase from a company that makes something in their own country rather then out source jobs to lesser countries so they can profit more. Just the economics side coming out of me I guess....
Not all Dainese is made in Italy, just the upper-echelon stuff. Same for A*, ect. Pakistan is the #1 source of race leather, they sub out just about any brand you can think of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement