New oil leak - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > The Street Triple 675!

Old 12-04-12, 09:54   #1
03svrider

Default New oil leak

Got my bike back from getting some Angel St's and was checking for the coolant leak I had noticed before bringing it there.
Just had to tighten the hose clamps and it looks fine but I noticed from behind the sprocket cover that there seemed to be an oil leak somewhere around the sprocket.
Took the cover off and it looks like a small leak somewhere in that vicinity.
When I first got the bike I found some leaks and noticed a lot of the case cover bolts as well as the pan bolts were pretty loose. Tightening them solved the problem and I hope this is similar but was wondering if anybody else had the same thing.
There's gunk in there from chain lubing but there's definately a small leak going on somehwere in the area. There's a bolt the oil's dripping off of that is vertical and bigger than the little case cover bolts and I hope I can just cinch it down like I did all the other loose bolts but nothing in my life has been that easy lately. (Dad was killed while riding with me but you probably saw the thread. This was after my cat of 19 years had to be put down earlier in the summer, wife has a miscarriage, Dad gets taken out, the hurricane, the 1 day snow storm, and the night before Dad's memorial gathering one of my 2 new cats we got in June has to be put down at an emergency vet at 3:30am! WTF?!)
Guess I just gotta clean the affected area, run it and wait but judging by how small it looks it's going to be fun rooting around a warm engine. Hope it's not the sprocket shaft seal but I don't tighten the chain THAT tight!

Last edited by 03svrider; 12-04-12 at 10:00.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-12, 16:39   #2
03svrider

?????????

Old 12-06-12, 18:48   #3
lola

mine leaked at the same spot where you described, Found two areas where it came from. First there is a sensor with a electrical plug just behind the starter and it was loose. Oil was seaping through there, also the seal behind the front sprocket was also leaking. Leaking occured when bike is on its side stand and or just after riding.

Old 12-11-12, 16:36   #4
Superhawk

It's the options auto chain-oiler... I didn't order that with mine, but I hear you get it free sometimes. :)

Old 12-11-12, 16:38   #5
benbaboon

If it doesn't leak, it's not a real Triumph.

Old 12-11-12, 16:40   #6
stickem189

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbaboon View Post
If it doesn't leak, it's not a real Triumph.
I thought that was Harley's slogan

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 12-13-12, 11:07   #7
OKStriple

Mine leaked from the other side on a vertacle bolt just in front of the clutch cover (fixed) but not on the sprocket side.......yet.

Hang in there man - 2013 is bound to bring good things for you. OR maybe the Mayans were right and you only have a week to worry about it.

All I care about is my Street Triple and like, maybe 3 or 4 people

Old 12-13-12, 15:06   #8
RoxyStriple

Mine did that . But mine was more of a gush than a leak . Didn't notice the leak/gush until my rear tire was freshly lubed and went into a turn and almost dumped it . By the time I nursed the bike back home (about 1.5 miles) almost ALL of the oil emptied out the motor.
To make a long story short it turned into a big warranty issue with dealers pointing their fingers at one another with no one wanting to cover it blaming it on radiator hoses ( was bullshit ) . In the end it was fixed leaving me with a bad opinion of Triumph due to the treatment I got . I almost got rid of my bike and washed my hands of Triumph after owning 5 of them since 2006.

Mine is a 2012 and had only 5k on the clocks at the time . I have a feeling it'll be a recall issue later on.

Funny discovery in the ordeal : That seal ? Same part from a 2005 Yamaha R6 which was mysteriously discontinued suddenly and replaced with a different part number .

Old 12-19-12, 19:06   #9
03svrider

Found it to be the sensor (gear selector sensor). At least that's where it look like but I have to wipe it down and pray it's not the sproket shaft seal but looked to be the seal for the sensor. We'll see in the spring!

Old 12-19-12, 21:05   #10
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickem189 View Post
I thought that was Harley's slogan

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Motorcycle.com Free App
No theirs is, "if you didn't have to sell your house, it isn't a real Harley"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement