Prospective 675 owner in Fort Myers, Florida - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Introductions

Introductions New member? Take a few minutes and introduce yourself.

Old 11-27-12, 11:25   #1
EvanMO

Default Prospective 675 owner in Fort Myers, Florida

Good Morning Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a used (2006-2009) Daytona 675. I have very little riding experience but fell in love with the bike when I saw it and read reviews online. So obviously, I have some questions that Iím sure a lot of you have heard before.
--Is this too much of a bike for a beginner?
--Is $4900 a fair price for a 2009?

Iím looking at a used 2009 and I am worried about one thing:

The guy said it had been dropped at about 60 mphÖtumbled a bit and then slid into the dirt. He said it was the best possible way for it to be layed down. There was no mechanical damage (beside a shaved adjuster on the fork?) and it started right up after he reset the crash switch on the engine. He went on to say that he had a mechanic check it out just in case and he said that the bike was good to go and he would give me the name and number of the mechanic to ask him any questions. He also just had it in a triumph dealer to fix the regulator recall for the 675ís and he asked them to do a once over to see if it needed anything else to be done to make it sell easily. He has matted out the fairing so they donít look all scratched up and everything else looks pretty sanitary. He has a Jardine slip on exhaust and an integrated tail light. Just want some experienced riderís input on the situation. Again heís asking $4900. To make the situation better, or worse (Iím not sure yet) the guy lives across the street from me and I saw the ad on craigs list (small world). So I donít think he would rip me off or lie to me. PLEASE get back to me ASAP as I want to ride in this perfect winter Florida weather!

Thanks,
Evan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-12, 12:00   #2
Danw182

I'm sure others will chime in on the about the daytona being a beginner bike. However I wouldn't buy a bike that had been in a wreck in which it "tumbled". If the suspension adjustments are damaged then you will not be able to set the rider sag which is not a good thing.

Old 11-27-12, 12:00   #3
noclue90

Too much bike. Ninja 250/300 for a year or more to sharpen you skills then step up. Not a good beginner bike to learn on. Can it be done, yes but is harder to form solid habits on this than a more forgiving bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Old 11-27-12, 14:47   #4
Skotbb

How little is "very little riding experience"? The D675s are light and easy to maneuver, but they'll get up and go when you twist! I still consider myself just beyond beginner, with about 3 years riding, and I feel great with the bike. Hope that helps

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 11-27-12, 15:23   #5
saumo

I say go for it. Solid price, depends on mileage. Ride it.

Feel it out. See if you can find somebody in the area with a D675
to compare it too..

Tumbles and lay-downs can be bad, but also can be truthfully not damaging to the bike. Depends on how bad and who is telling the truth.

A lot of people start on Liters and have gone 10 years unscathed. Ride like you're invisible, have respect for the bike, and ride like everyone wants to kill you. Those three should take you many years unscathed on a bike. Be smart. Wanna wheelie, stoppie, and race? Do it off the streets or simply do not do it at all.

I started on a 250 personally. Extremely good learners bike, but does indeed get old after 6 months.

Old 11-27-12, 15:25   #6
EvanMO

Default Thanks for the info!

Appreciate the feedback guys. I can see what your saying about a very powerful bike, but at the same time being light and nimble. The part about it being downed is what is concerning me. Can you talk a little more about other issues associated with a bike thats been layed down?

Old 11-27-12, 15:38   #7
saumo

See where it has been down.
Left or right side?

If right side, sometimes things like clutch cover can be so screwed that it'll leak oil. Look for major scuffs. Tumbling and hard lay-downs could also cause bending in frame and forks as such.

Make sure everything fits and holes line up places. Bring an allen key, take off the fairings, and check the frame for any visible damage or scratches.

Forks are very expensive to replace or fix, so those should be super straight. They are also really weak and prone to bend under an accident like that. Ride it as well I guess to feel it out.

Haha

Old 11-27-12, 15:42   #8
EvanMO

Default checking damage

So I'm pretty sure he replaced the fairings or matted them out so the scratches are not viewable anymore. But the left side or ride side is a good question to ask. Are the clutches on these bikes pretty stiff or free flowing?

Old 11-27-12, 15:48   #9
Knolly
BOTM Winner

Old 11-27-12, 16:06   #10
EvanMO

Default lots of info---cool stuff. side ride?

Appreciate all that literature. I do agree that this is a very powerful bike and you can't learn on something you are afraid of. I think I am going to reassess my options here. maybe purchase the bike because the deal seems to good to pass up and get another bike for the side to learn on. What do you guys think about that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement