For those that went from a literbike... - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-23-12, 23:08   #1
Torchsport

Location: 90 miles from Brainerd International Raceway, Minnesota
Default For those that went from a literbike...

...To a 675.
I'm debating on selling my CBR1000RR, and stepping into a D675R. I've got a local dealer that has discounted a '12 model. It's the bike I've wanted for some time. (Besides a S1000RR, which is too expensive)

I like the '13 model, mainly because of the slipper clutch, which my CBR has, but I can't bring myself to spend twice what I paid for my CBR1000RR.
I do think the new generation will be a force to be reckoned with, controversial looks aside.
This '12 model is priced well enough to convince me to grab one. I would love to keep my Honda, but my garage is getting a bit ridiculous.

Now. My CBR has about a 50 hp advantage. I realize the Triumph has tremendous torque, and is a blast to ride. I'm not saying I wouldn't love it. I've just never ridden one.

My question is for anyone that went from a literbike, to a 675...
Did you miss the raw power of the full liter?

EDIT: Updating 1st post. I purchased the D675R. See post #41.

Last edited by Torchsport; 01-06-13 at 03:09. Reason: update

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-12, 23:16   #2
!!675R!!

Went from a 2006 gsxr 1000 to my 11 675R.....WOuldnt go back for nothing. Besides, I live on an island and would never be able to use the full potential of the gsxr anyways so no real loss for me...

Old 11-23-12, 23:17   #3
Noodles

Best thing to do is a test ride. If you enjoy the big power of the 1000, then yes, you'll miss it, as the 675 won't compare with the RR in torque/hp. The honda isn't porky either. Let's face it, any sportbike is plenty fast, but the 675R is one of the sexiest bikes out there, period. And a powerband and sound an I4 middleweight can't match. Good luck.

Nuno!

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/Noodles_771/

Old 11-23-12, 23:52   #4
Danw182

Went from a 2008 R1 to a 2009 D675. Didn't miss the power and was faster on the D675 then the R1 at the local track. What you lose in power you make up for in "flickability".

Old 11-24-12, 00:13   #5
Torchsport

I agree with you guys. Using a literbike to its full potential in the real world is not really possible. Even on the track.
I use an R6 for the track. So I understand the usefulness of a flickable bike, over raw power.
Probably the only time I would miss the 1000 is when I go out to Montana/Wyoming.
I will be keeping my FZ1, so that will keep me happy, although it ain't at the same level...

I also agree that a D675R is WAY more sexy, and sounds like a wicked banshee!
As far as test rides go, that wont happen, especially since it just snowed a few inches last night.
But I'm certain I would love it. I've bought several new bikes over the years, without ever riding that particular model of bike. I've not been dissatisfied before. Can't imagine I would dislike a Daytona.
Thanks for the quick feedback.

Old 11-24-12, 00:22   #6
Evan_Calgary

Figured I would chime in here. I don't own a 1000 but I did recently pick up a hayabusa and have ridden a number of liter bikes. There is a lot more power in these bikes but they are not as much fun as the Daytona (my opinion). I jump back on the daytona after riding a liter bike or the hayabusa and it feels like a bicycle even though the liter bike may be close in weight. It is a completely different beast. If it helps, I know someone who sold their BMW HP2 sport which is a full carbon race replica after riding my 2008 Daytona...

Edit: just saw your list of bikes in your signature! I am jealous!

Last edited by Evan_Calgary; 11-24-12 at 00:24. Reason: His garage was too awesome not to edit...

Old 11-24-12, 00:41   #7
Geof3

I had a Ducati 996 and a Speed Triple, both dead sexy and fun to ride. The 675 is an entirely different animal. The RPM range takes some getting used to, but other than that, I don't look back. I LOVE the 675. Also, it's a bit more real world practicle. I feel just as fine putzing around at 35 as hitting the twisties with some speed!The speed triple and Duc, not so much. I think if you get one you won't be sorry...

Old 11-24-12, 02:28   #8
sirhosis of deliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
...To a 675.

My question is for anyone that went from a literbike, to a 675...
Did you miss the raw power of the full liter?
Yes!
I went from an 09 R1 to my Daytona and I do miss the outright raw power and the way that the Yamaha Crossplane engine delivered it. Truly addictive and a real hoot to ride. Thats also why I sold it. I was going to end up in jail riding that thing on the road. I was having too much fun on it! I have come to the opinion that litre bikes are too much bike for public road use. I mean, when a bike will do 160kph before you have to touch the gear lever its probably overkill when the speed limit on the opened road is 100kph right?

I must confess that I do prefer the overall Daytona package over any litre bike I have owned. It obviously doesnt have that same raw power but is still no slouch and it handles superbly, being so small and nimble, so overall I am satisfied with the switch

I suppose you need to ask yourself where your priorities lie. Is outright power your be all and end all priority in your riding?

Old 11-24-12, 10:14   #9
markwest

Its litre not liter......of course the americans want to respell an international standard. It makes it easier for their simple brains to spell......

Old 11-24-12, 10:27   #10
Torchsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwest View Post
Its litre not liter......of course the americans want to respell an international standard. It makes it easier for their simple brains to spell......
At least I didn't spell it litter!

Don't get me started on tyres...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement