CEL and oil leak after 5,000 miles? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair

Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

Old 11-10-12, 15:27   #1
JBadiner

Default CEL and oil leak after 5,000 miles?

Argh. I have just over 5,00 miles on a brand new 2011 Daytona and the CEL keeps coming on. I took it to the dealer and was told it was the "butterfly valve" in exhaust (EXUP I am assuming). If I touch the cables I can feel them move when I turn the ignition on and off, and if I squeeze both together with my fingers and turn ignition on, off, on, off eventually the cables don't "bind" up/move much and the CEL finally goes out. I know this is an issue and have read all the posts, but my question is should this be happening with only just over 5,000 miles on a never seen rain, ridden only 1 summer, super clean bike? I'm just wondering if others have this CEL so soon. The dealer said that they can lub it up at the 6,000 service, but I am just surprised that I am seeing a CEL this early.

Also...my clutch case cover gasket is leaking oil as well (since new). I was actually over a 1/4 quart low after 2,500 miles (even after the first service around 600 miles). I have a great dealer and they said this is a known issue as well and will replace it. I was just wondering if anyone else had these problems so early.

I only posted this as I am surprised to have these issues with so few miles. Hopefully I am the only one!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-12, 01:32   #2
MacBandit

There is no oil leak that is a common and known problem on these bikes. As for the cables they could simply be out of adjustment. There is an adjustment test procedure in the factory diagnostic program. This test is suppose to be ran at every service and adjustment done if necessary. Many brand new bikes fail at the first service. If done properly at the first service though most bikes are good for a long time. That said the exup is purely a noise emission device and is nothing but a headache and should be removed and a proper dyno tune performed to adjust for the removal of the exhaust blocking device.

Old 11-11-12, 20:12   #3
JBadiner

MacBandit...Thanks for replying. I am sure my EXUP is seized. The motor tried and tries to move the cables (they move around and twitch but nothing seems to happen). It looks like they are just bound up (or EXUP is stuck pretty good). I need to just disable it, but I do not have the tune equipment. I am sure the dealer won't. Argh.

Anyhow...LOVE the bike, just tired of staring at the CEL light. I got it off today (wiggling ables while turing on/off ignition) but it came right back on a little later today. Hate the orange glow staring at me.

Anyhow...time to find someone to disable it for me.

Old 11-11-12, 22:04   #4
MacBandit

There are some good write ups on here on lubing the EXUP and adjusting it. Which should get you by for a little while. I really don't recommend removing the EXUP without either installing a full system or if you just modify the stock system getting a custom dyno tune. With a full system you can run the full arrow map. If you just modify the stock system then it will run like crap with any regular map and you'll want a custom map.

Old 11-12-12, 20:34   #5
JBadiner

Thanks. It is just a bummer that I am already having the issue. Not even 6 months on the road and already seizing. Hopefully the dealership will get her all better. Makes me sad to see a CEL on a new bike. Oh well. Still love it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement