They Really Are Out to Get Us! - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-08-12, 14:29   #1
ICanHazCheetos

Default They Really Are Out to Get Us!

Well, I took my first ride on the public streets today and WOW what a blast! Though it was fun, I really notice now how much people just don't see motorcycles.

Any defensive riding tips out there other than the ones i learned at MSF?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-12, 14:38   #2
luciano136

Boy, there are many but just a few I always keep in mind.

* Always be aware of your surroundings, so you have an escape route;
* Be extra careful at intersections and side streets; people tend to underestimate the traveling speed of a bike (or don't see you altogether) and pull out in front of you.
* Try to stay out of a car's blind spot;
* Probably most important: keep your speed down or around the speed of traffic on the fwy. Makes it a lot easier for an evasion maneuver.

Old 11-08-12, 14:47   #3
Sp00ky

Here are the best tips I can give you after 50 years of motorcycle riding ....

1: You are invisible. Car, truck, bus, tram and all other drivers can't see you.

2: Don't ride your bike like you drive a car. Use the bike to cut through traffic to get to the front, then go!

3: Aggressive-defensive riding is your best chance of survival. Be forceful, but courteous.

4: Never relax. You need to be 100% awake in traffic. Be aware of what is around you.

5: Ride like every one else is trying to kill you!

6: Get a good set of rear view mirrors so you can see behind you easily.

7: Look ahead. See the gaps. Be smooth, not erratic. Use your indicators. Don't let the cage drivers dictate the terms, slip through them like an eel and get clear road.

Hopefully, you will survive to be a grumpy old bastard bike rider like me...

S.

Old 11-08-12, 15:02   #4
Knolly
BOTM Winner

If a car is driving abnormally slow, it means it is about to do something stupid.

Old 11-08-12, 15:12   #5
Allworld

If it makes you frown, then slow down. :)

Old 11-08-12, 15:17   #6
pyroking339

Always assume others in traffic are going to do something that'll completely screw you and plan accordingly.
Stay out of blindspots.
Learn to predict what cars are going to do. If they look indecisive, they probably are and they're probably not paying attention. If a car drifts over to a line, they're probably going to change lanes. Assume they are going to turn without signaling. I personally believe it's better to trust my driving and the maneuverability of the bike and make a move to get away from people whose driving I'm worried about, before they have a chance to do something dumb to me.
If you see someone texting. Get away ASAP

Old 11-08-12, 15:34   #7
louie3

Rule 1: all the vehicles on the road are out to kill you

Rule 2: go to a trackday

Seriously, just ride like everyone is out to kill you. Always give yourself an escape.

"Life is all about maximizing experiences and minimizing regrets, and the last thing you want is to regret the experiences you didn't have." -MadMel

Old 11-08-12, 17:06   #8
Cayden2

THEY ARE STUPID. THEY DON'T SEE YOU, THEY WILL HIT YOU.

If you assume this, I can almost be certain your life expectancy on a motorcycle will be quadrupled. Also at a stop light WATCH YOUR REVIEW MIRRORS AT ALL TIMES.

When coming to a stop tap the brakes to get the brake light to repeatedly flash. Flash the shit out of it. Flash it like you friggen mean it. It has saved me a few times.

Old 11-08-12, 17:13   #9
old blue

The old SIPDE rule has kept me out of trouble for many years.

Eventually it becomes automatic and you develop that 'bikers sixth sense' that really does keep you alive.

SCAN - never let your eyes be still. Scan all around you, all the time. If you see a biker who isn't constantly moving his head, you're looking at a biker who doesn't scan enough.

IDENTIFY - identify potential threats well ahead, behind and beside you. Learn to identify events 'unfolding.'

PREDICT - try to predict the possible outcome...if a car suddenly stops, or pulls out, if that kid playing on the roadside runs out onto the road, if that guy behind keeps coming up as fast as he is...

DECIDE - don't waste time. Make a decision based on your predictions about what you need to do.

EXECUTE - no, don't kill the car drivers gangland style, regardless of how tempting this might be. Execute your decision and get out of harm's way. As sp00ky rightly said, often this means getting ahead and into clear space.

And that's about it. Never assume car drivers will do the right thing. Don't even trust them when you've made eye contact. Assuming the worst will help you live longer.

O.B

Old 11-08-12, 17:53   #10
vg13z
BOTM Pimp Daddy!

Send a message via AIM to vg13z

Good thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement