P1080 - Exhaust Control Valve Actuator Circuit Malfunction - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 11-04-12, 11:18   #1
homer

Send a message via AIM to homer Send a message via Skype™ to homer
Default P1080 - Exhaust Control Valve Actuator Circuit Malfunction

My bike just threw the first check engine light code in 25,000 miles. P1080 - Exhaust Control Valve Actuator Mechanism Malfunction

I hooked it up to TuneECU to determine the code, run tests, and clear the code.

For those of you familiar with TuneECU, you know that it will let you run diagnostic tests on the major systems, including a test that cycles the exhaust valve from 0-100%. It passes that test. I can hear the motor running and the valve opening. If the circuit is bad, how is it possible that the actuator motor is able to cycle?

Also, the check engine light immediately reappears if I clear the codes with the bike running at idle.

TuneECU has a check box that should allow you to disable this system, but for some reason it's not letting me uncheck that box.

Today, I'm going to do some more detailed physical inspections such as checking all the fuses I can find, checking the adjustment of the valve, etc.

Like automotive codes, one thing can often mean another. I'm worried it's something a lot worse than just a simple exhaust valve code.

If anyone has had this code in the past, or knows a way of fixing it, your help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-12, 11:31   #2
Travisty

Send a message via MSN to Travisty

Check the cables. Known to stretch and break.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Motorcycle.com App

Old 11-05-12, 21:32   #3
DecepticonDon
BOTM Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer View Post
Like automotive codes, one thing can often mean another. I'm worried it's something a lot worse than just a simple exhaust valve code.

If anyone has had this code in the past, or knows a way of fixing it, your help would be much appreciated.
Quit worrying. a 1080 code is a mechanical malfunction of the EXUP, not electrical. This would mean the Motor, cables or the valve itself.

Probably all that's needed is copper grease lube on the exup valve, if your plan is to keep the EXUP.
someone on the forum has done it before. can't recall who.

When in TuneECU, it should bring up "disable" if you right click on the exhaust valve under devices. then load the tune.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement