Lets talk about suits - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Track Days

Track Days Track days and other non-racing related track events

Old 10-30-12, 16:12   #1
Forcereal

Default Lets talk about suits

Lets share opinions on what you've used, what you like and don't like. There are a lot of big names around dainese, arlen ness, taichi, ect that demand big $.

Cliffs:
-Post what you've used
-What you like/ didn't like about said suit
-Price range of suit

My experience: Frank Thomas XTI, Shift Vertex

I started with a 300$ frank thomas XTI that I outgrew. It was obvious it was a 300$ suit in the padding area, it was CE approved but the refinement just wasnt there. It did me well through a 45mph low side.

I upgraded to a shift vertex jacket and pants, both are pretty nice and I'm happy with the padding, protection, and comfort for 500$. This suit still rocks. I tucked the front at 70-90mph and hit gravel the pants held up great and the jacket only popped in the stretch panel of the arm I went down on. Minor rug burn.

I think I might go back to a one piece. My main needs are perforation and airflow with comfort and protection in second. I ride in central texas so being cool and not overheating is safer than a suit that makes you overheat then crash in my opinion.

Shawn
08 D675 CMRA Novice #756
98 M3- daily/auto-x
07 D-Max 2500- recovery vehicle, bike hauler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-12, 17:06   #2
Red October

I've used a Kobe suit and now have a Hazardous Racing suit. Never went down in either suit.

Kobe, $600 suit. kobeusa.com
Pros: Thick and solid
Cons: Stiff, 1.7mm leather is stiff.
I've changed from Kobe to HazRacing due to needing a custom sized suit. Kobe was too long for my waist and the hump prevented me from turning my head in tuck/lean position (drop elbow and look sideways was impossible)

Hazardous Racing, www.hazardousracing.com, $600 suit.
Pros: Custom suit. Custom measured. Very good customer service.
Cons: New company, although suits have been crashtested by others already.

The way I see it...my Kobe was made in Pakistan. My HR suit is made in Pakistan. A* are made in Pakistan. Dainese is made in Pakistan. They are all made in Pakistan, in the same district, by more or less the same people...the Silicon Valley of leather suits.

Old 10-30-12, 18:11   #3
Rink675

I have a cortec Latigo 1pc suit, paid 550.00 for it.

My experience with the suit is for a 550.00 suit it's decent but I don't particularly like how the suit is designed. It doesn't stretch very well in the crotch area and it's kinda tucked up in there so makes it uncomfortable. Makes it kinda hard to spread your legs with one leg locked onto the tank and trying to hang off the bike. I have never been down in the suit so not sure how well it would hold up in a crash.

Pros: Suit breathes decently, not a bad price, came with knee sliders

Cons: leather is thick and hard to be flexible in the suit, padding could be improved as well.

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Old 10-30-12, 18:22   #4
louie3

Heroic Custom sized Dromic suit

I love this suit, the quality is second to none. The fit is perfect, if you haven't got a custom sized suit, put it on the list to do for your next suit.

The price was good because I got it in the group buy right here on the forum (thanks michelle)
Can't remember what we paid, I think it was around $1200, original price was around $1500-1700 I think.

The only complaint, as everyone else would agree, would be the customer service/turnaround time. It took a long time for us to start getting our suits. Its a small company, and they mostly are busy running trackside operations at most races. My recommendation would be to get their stuff trackside. Talk with them trackside about your custom suit or gloves etc. You will probably have better results that way.

But I have no other complaints, and I am glad I waited for this suit.

"Life is all about maximizing experiences and minimizing regrets, and the last thing you want is to regret the experiences you didn't have." -MadMel

Old 10-30-12, 18:39   #5
old blue

I have a Teknic Violator bought from STG.

From memory it was just under $700 at the time.

No regrets. The suit is comfortable, very well made, and is standing up well to the rigours of club racing. The only thing worth noting is that Teknic fit can be a bit different to other brands, so it's worth checking the details with STG.

The irony; I bought this suit specifically because STG say it can be crashed in multiple times and survive...so of course I haven't crashed, yet. But watch this space!

O.B

Old 10-31-12, 00:22   #6
Czero

I have a Sedici 1 pc and honestly it fits me really well and is very comfortable now that it's broken in.

It is however my first suit so I don't have anything to compare it to.

I believe it was around 4-500 when I bought it.

Old 10-31-12, 00:26   #7
Smoke

- Dainese low-end from the late 90's

- About the equivalent of 1000

- Went down once at low speed, very slight scuff mark.

Cons:
- Couldn't stretch my arms easily (not exactly a huge problem)
- Lack of thoracic protection (none available at the time)
- Dangerous synthetic mesh lining (replaced with a cotton one free of charge, with a little waiting time).
- Expensive (explains the pros)

Pros:
- Durable, had it for 17 years and it's still in superb shape despite touring use
- Well-designed
- Efficient

Happy with it overall, which is why I recently bought a Dainese Jacket.

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Old 10-31-12, 12:33   #8
tyrroneous

I have a on older model Kobe X-Pro one piece suit. I've had it for about 4 years and its only been used for about 5 track days. It was on close-out and I got it for $185 which is a killer price.

Cons: Styling is a dated.
Torso is a little too short, so its kinda tight in the crotch area.

Pros: Super cheap price
Well constructed. Thick leather. Triple stitched seams. Pretty good armor.
Fit is great everywhere except the torso length.
Flows air pretty well.

So far, it has held up well. I've crash tested it once at a slow speed corner at Barber (T5) and there was only superficial damage. No blown seems, or torn leather. My buddy, who rides at the same pace I do, crashed at the same corner on the same day and his off-the-shelf low end Teknic blew out two seems on the arm.

Old 10-31-12, 12:37   #9
Knolly
BOTM Winner

Spartan Leathers custom 2-piece Force suit.

Love it to death. It has withstood two low sides, one involving me tumbling for quite a distance, and the only damage to it I would consider to be cosmetic (messed up the surface finish of the leather).

The pricing of the suits is VERY good for what you get, and the customer service is great. I need a one-piece for next season and I'm absolutely getting it from Spartan Leathers.

Old 10-31-12, 13:11   #10
saacattack

I have Cortech Latiago 2 piece suit.

I loved it at first, until I didn't about 3 Track days in it. I originally bought it for the intention of street riding and the occasional track day. I got hooked and wished I went with another suit that fits me better.

Keep in mind, i'm 5'6" and weight about 115 so i'm thinner than most folks. The jacket doesn't fit me in the chest. Shoulders fit me and arm length is great. The Pants are a little too big as a whole. On the bike knee protection is just about in place. They sit about half inch below/on my knee. obviously they should be completely over the knee. So on the track, flexibility BLOWS.

I low-sided back in June and had on full gear. They held up their end going through gravel and grass. No tears anywhere.

Pros: it's perforated, durable(so far)...and it wasn't super expensive at all
Cons: Not flexiable(as a whole), not comfortable after long period of time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement