Shaved the OEM seat - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 10-29-12, 21:06   #1
Rink675

Default Shaved the OEM seat

I have been irritated with the stock seat, it's too thick and I don't feel connected to the bike. Also that seat is very uncomfortable.....it wasn't until I came across a thread on shaving the seat that gave me the idea to try it.

I took the seat apart and removed the foam from the underside so it still kept the molding shape on top. I removed a lot of foam......the seat weighs probably half as much now with all of the foam I removed.

It only took me about 15mins total from teardown to assembled. I used a soldering iron type gun with a cutting blade on it to cut through the foam instead of using a knife. It went through that foam like a knife through butter! Nice smooth cuts and it didn't burn the foam.

I stapled the leather back on, slapped the seat back on the bike and man it feels 10X better then before. No longer the feeling of being over the bike, instead feeling more connected with the bike and the seat actually has some give in it now instead of feeling like you are sitting on a piece of plywood.

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-12, 21:14   #2
Karl

Im cutting down my original stock one so my wife can ride it, shes 5 foot **** all but can ride bloody well!
And its not like Ill be using the seat again, Ive got a squishy gel one Mmmm, like nestling your arse on some fried eggs

Old 10-29-12, 21:18   #3
stickem189

I dont find the stock seat to be uncomfortable. Maybe i have a decent amount of padding on my butt.

I understand the feeling of sitting over the bike though. Maybe ill shave mine down a bit so i feel more one with the bike?

Old 10-30-12, 11:12   #4
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickem189 View Post
I dont find the stock seat to be uncomfortable. Maybe i have a decent amount of padding on my butt.

I understand the feeling of sitting over the bike though. Maybe ill shave mine down a bit so i feel more one with the bike?

Sorry but couldn't help but notice your avatar picture.....is that how things go down in Wisconsin? If so it looks like I need to be partying there instead of here lol.....

Yea it really helped with the feeling of being connected with the bike for me anyway. I am 5'5" and even though I have longer legs for a shorter guy my feet could still touch the ground but the seat just had zero give for me so it just wasn't working out for me.

Old 10-30-12, 11:24   #5
stickem189

i wish thats how girls partied up here but it doesnt happen very often. I have only seen attractive girls make out a handful of times and they were never topless on kegs.

Old 10-30-12, 16:19   #6
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickem189 View Post
i wish thats how girls partied up here but it doesnt happen very often. I have only seen attractive girls make out a handful of times and they were never topless on kegs.

Ah, well thanks for being honest lol

Old 11-07-12, 21:54   #7
wavrdr

I've been running just the seat pan with race foam glued to it...

Also, if its just a race bike, you can remove the latch/lock mechanism from the battery tray, drill two holes through the seat pan and attach to the subframe with the bolts that usually just hold the front of the tail section to the subframe. I did this in efforts of dropping all unnecessary weight possible....
CCS #159
MWSS, MWSB National Champ!!
GTU, MWSS, MWSB, HWSS Regional Champ!!

Apex Race Services-TT Motorsports-Ballistik Race Apparel-Bell Helmets-Renthal-FuelClothing.com-RynoPower-Spy-Amsoil-Pirelli Tires

Old 11-08-12, 00:39   #8
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavrdr View Post
I've been running just the seat pan with race foam glued to it...

Also, if its just a race bike, you can remove the latch/lock mechanism from the battery tray, drill two holes through the seat pan and attach to the subframe with the bolts that usually just hold the front of the tail section to the subframe. I did this in efforts of dropping all unnecessary weight possible....

This one just has a cable mounted under the subframe and you just pull the cable and it releases the latch to lift the seat. Took me some time to figure that one out believe it or not lol....

I didn't even think about just using the seat tray with some foam on the top.....do you ever have any issues with the foam exposed on wet races?

Old 11-08-12, 07:22   #9
wavrdr

Nope, you can even trim up a yoga mat....!
CCS #159
MWSS, MWSB National Champ!!
GTU, MWSS, MWSB, HWSS Regional Champ!!

Apex Race Services-TT Motorsports-Ballistik Race Apparel-Bell Helmets-Renthal-FuelClothing.com-RynoPower-Spy-Amsoil-Pirelli Tires

Old 11-08-12, 12:52   #10
Rink675

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavrdr View Post
Nope, you can even trim up a yoga mat....!

Awesome, I might just slap some foam on the top then too add a little more traction on the seat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement