Ruined Ride ....:ANGRY: - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 10-29-12, 10:55   #1
s9pa

Default Ruined Ride ....:ANGRY:

Anyway, two weekends ago, after having 40 degree weather for two weeks, we had a nice saturday (70F) and I decided to take a long ride headed North. A couple miles later (45 miles), I passed a cop car headed in the opposite direction on county highway, going 65 in a 60 zone. All the sudden, he turns around and pull me over. Which I did. His first words were: "I hope you got a valid license and proof of insurance !!!". I wondered why he said that as if I have met him before without valid credentials. After I gave him my papers, he went to his cruiser and came back with a speeding ticket saying that I was going 80, but that he was nice and dropped it to 75..... WTH...

He asked if I had any problem, to which I asked him if he can show me the radar and he refused. Then I pretty much told him that I know the speed I was doing and that it was nowhere near 80. His answer: "Well you can come to court and It will be your words against mine, we will see who the judge side with"

After doing some research, I found that I will have to go to court twice. Once for arraignment and then at a later set date for the actual trial. Being that I will be missing two days from work and that I don't have any tangible proof beyond my words, I decided to just pay the ticket even if I know that I wasn't at fault.

The question to all you guys, (Also those in Ireland/Europe can chime in as I'll be over there starting in March..). What's the best way to have a proof against such jerks ?? Any gear you can use to record your speed vs location?

-------------
| 08 D675 |
-------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-12, 11:01   #2
RidersDiscount

Camera on the tank that has a visual on the gauges.

Old 10-29-12, 11:10   #3
vastoholic

Well that's crap. Although I think saying to the judge that the cop refused to show you his radar might have had some worth to it. I don't know if they don't have to by law or what.

Old 10-29-12, 11:19   #4
s9pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Well that's crap. Although I think saying to the judge that the cop refused to show you his radar might have had some worth to it. I don't know if they don't have to by law or what.
It is recommended, but not required.

-------------
| 08 D675 |
-------------

Old 10-29-12, 11:24   #5
Godly

I don't know how it is over there, but in the states the officer is required to bring his radar log to court, in which case if he can't show the occurence then it will be dropped.

Old 10-29-12, 11:25   #6
louie3

Something doesn't quite make sense. If he had you on radar, than its not just his word against yours. I'm guessing he got you on radar, that's why you asked to see it.

Did he have you on radar or not?

"Life is all about maximizing experiences and minimizing regrets, and the last thing you want is to regret the experiences you didn't have." -MadMel

Old 10-29-12, 11:28   #7
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

I know I always contest every ticket I get, even if I'm guilty as sin, just on general principle. One thing I've seen used against a driver was that in the prosecutor's questioning of the officer he'll go through all the training the officer has had as far as traffic goes (visual speed determination class, radar/laser device training, etc) and then ask him things reguarding the traffic stop in question. Such as if the officer offered to show the defendant the speed on his radar instrument. Details are very important. The fact that you'll be able to bring up that you asked to see the speed on his instrument and he refused you should help your case.

And while you'll lose out on work, if you just pay the ticket not only are you out that money, your insurance will go up so it may cost you more than your lost wages in the long run, depending on several factors of course.

Trinity's Build Thread

Old 10-29-12, 11:45   #8
s9pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godly View Post
I don't know how it is over there, but in the states the officer is required to bring his radar log to court, in which case if he can't show the occurence then it will be dropped.
Yes, I am in the States...That's why I was kind of shocked when he refused to show me the radar.

-------------
| 08 D675 |
-------------

Old 10-29-12, 11:47   #9
s9pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie3 View Post
Something doesn't quite make sense. If he had you on radar, than its not just his word against yours. I'm guessing he got you on radar, that's why you asked to see it.

Did he have you on radar or not?
I asked to see the radar, as I assumed that he had it on, and I was confident that If he did, he would have seen that I was nowhere near that speed.

-------------
| 08 D675 |
-------------

Old 10-29-12, 11:55   #10
Tucker2.0

Send a message via MSN to Tucker2.0

Which is exactly why i have invested in (and eventually befriended) a lawyer. You can also record the conversation from most phones.

I learned this because i was on the phone with my lawyer during a stop much like yours. Ill admit i was in 2nd and it probably SOUNDED like i was speeding. I politely informed the officer. "Sir before we start i need to inform you that my lawyer is on the phone and can hear us and he is recording it."

Needless to say the look on his face and his words were completely different. I got asked how fast i think i was going, how fast he said he clocked me. (wouldnt show the radar either) Asked for my drivers license and insurance, went back to his car and came back with a "verbal warning" to slow down and keep it safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement