Rims being powder coated, how to get rotors off?!? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Cosmetic Mods

Old 10-27-12, 23:10   #1
tuscani451

Default Rims being powder coated, how to get rotors off?!?

I did a search and found a very similar question/thread but there wasnt a lot of info about getting the rotors themselves off and i swear I broke something in my hand getting just two of the rear bolts off! I read to heat them with a heat gun or hair drier. I thought about seeing if the same shop could take them off but they are closed until monday and dont want to create a hassle for the shop. So if anyone has any tricks let me know.

Also I am not going to worry about getting the old bearings out as I will buy new ones and have the olds ones removed and new one placed after the PC. I could use recommendations for the replacement bearings though, I figure I will go ahead and get the best available since i have to replace them anyway.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-12, 00:07   #2
415TRIUMPH

i've used all balls bearings for replacements, though here's a thread that may help you with bearing selection;

[ame="http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?p=302587"]Front Wheel Bearings and Dust Seals - Non OEM Replacement Part Numbers - Triumph675.Net Forums[/ame]

as for removing the bolts, they will need some heat to loosen up the thread lock

Old 10-28-12, 09:32   #3
allaussiegrown

I found using a good torque head that had some length worked fine.

It did make a snapping sound. That is the movie and friction releasing

once you get your bearings out you can go to a local bearing dealer and pick them all up on the very cheap, including dust seals

'11 675R
Werkes Slip On Pipe + STD Fender Elim + Intergrated Tailight - ZG Double Bubble DS - Dual HID Headlights and Angel Eyes with Coloured Headlight Housing - Red Seat Cowl - LED Strip Indicators - 1050 Throttle Tube -
Attack Reasrsets (Red Pegs) - Powdercoated wheels and Sidestand - GB protection Kit - CRG Levers folding - Saddlemen CF Track Seat - Watsens

Old 10-28-12, 10:42   #4
DecepticonDon
BOTM Marshall

Heat....and before you try to loosen them, tighten them just till it moves slightly and makes a "tick" sound. it will take the tension off the threads and make it easier to remove the bolts. old mechanic trick

Old 10-28-12, 13:33   #5
tuscani451

Good info, thanks guys! I will try all of the above. Thanks for the info on the bearings as all. Yeah Allgrown, that snapping sound made me think I was stripping the head of the bolt :-(

Old 10-28-12, 14:37   #6
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Are you using an Allen head socket with a socket wrench or just a small Allen key?

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Old 10-28-12, 15:49   #7
tuscani451

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
Are you using an Allen head socket with a socket wrench or just a small Allen key?
Just a small Allen key :-/ I don't have the correct socket but I will be picking up a full set today. I have been making due without a set for a while

Old 10-28-12, 18:01   #8
old blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post

That's it. A 3/8 drive with a quality Allen head bit is the way to go.

O.B

Old 10-28-12, 18:07   #9
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscani451 View Post
Just a small Allen key :-/ I don't have the correct socket but I will be picking up a full set today. I have been making due without a set for a while
That's why you're having trouble getting them undone then. They are Loctited in and you're not going to get enough leverage with a pissy Allen key. Time to expand the tool box contents.

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Old 10-29-12, 07:51   #10
Godly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscani451 View Post
That's your problem! I recommend ordering the full Hex Head Socket set from Snap On or another company, well worth the money IMO

Sponsored Links
Advertisement