Racing leathers - 1 or 2 piece? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Riding Gear

Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

Old 10-13-12, 01:48   #1
devinvail

Default Racing leathers - 1 or 2 piece?

I'm looking to buy my first suit, and wondering if there are considerations I should be aware of. 2 piece seems more versatile and convenient - but perhaps the 1 piece offers better protection. Opinions?

thx

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-12, 02:11   #2
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Get a one piece, a suit is not suppose to be convenient it is suppose to protect you a two piece will have a weak point which is at the zipper where it connects. To me that is just not worth it.

Old 10-13-12, 06:04   #3
sirhosis of deliver

TWW is right if safety is the only consideration, but there is much more to consider IMO.

What are you using it for. Track only? Street only?

50% track, 50% road?

I find that a 2 piece is more flexible and comfortable which means I will actually wear it more.

You can wear just the jacket or the whole lot depending on your mood, the type of ride, etc. You can also take the jacket off when you stop for lunch or pop into the supermarket on your way home without looking like a tool.

And if you buy a 1 piece and then find it inconvenient to wear for road duties to the point of not wanting to wear it, you are less likey to have it on when you do crash.

Put it this way. I personally wouldnt wear a 1 piece for road riding, but am happy enough to wear a 2 piece at the track. I only do about 4 track days a year though, due to the vast distances I need to travel to get to a track. If I did 2 a month I would have one of each.

Last edited by sirhosis of deliver; 10-13-12 at 06:39.

Old 10-13-12, 11:45   #4
devinvail

Thanks guys. I'm pretty much in the same boat as sirhosis. I want to ride in a more protected manner day to day, and dont do much track, so I'll probably opt for the 2 piece.

Old 10-14-12, 07:12   #5
drinkingmymilk

My saying to anyone who is debating this.

Do you own a good leather jacket?

Yes, buy a one piece.

No, buy a two piece.

If you already have a good leather coat, you already have the versatility to ride in jeans and a coat. Add the one peice for your spirited road and track days. Once you're on the bike they are super comfy.

Old 10-17-12, 10:00   #6
Bhodi513

I say it depends on how many track days you plan on doing. If you are going to do more than 1 or 2 track days, invest in a good 1pc. If you don't plan on doing many track days, get a subdued 2pc, because you will be more likely to wear it. I find that my 1pc track suit, which is white, black, and red, doesn't get worn as often as it should when street riding because it attracts a bit too much attention for my everyday normal spirited riding. I think I would wear my leathers more on the street if I had a black or black and white 2pc. I also think I will buy slightly looser leathers for the street when I do buy some. I think it's personal preference though. You are going to have very good protection either way.

Also, if you have never worn leathers, try some on and sit on your bike. Try on some broken-in ones if your friends have any so you know how they will feel when broken-in and stretched out.

This of course is just my opinion. Ask someone who has been riding the amount you plan on riding. Guys who spend a lot of time on the track or jockeying for position on the streets will have different opinions and insights than people who just like doing some spirited riding on the backroads occasionally.

AB

**** I think I just repeated Sirhosis's post. So..... what he said. :)

Last edited by Bhodi513; 10-17-12 at 10:07. Reason: amendment

Old 10-17-12, 10:42   #7
GuiltySparc

I just went all in on a nice 1pc for my first track day. I figured the odds of me not liking track riding were pretty minimal and i'd be doing more track days in the future. I already had a nice jacket for street riding and i don't plan on wearing my suit for street riding other than day rides where i'm not getting off the bike that often.

Old 10-26-12, 11:56   #8
RidersDiscount

If you go with a 2 piece make sure you check the jacket length. A lot of the 2 piece suits run quite a short jacket that doesn't work well by itself. The biggest benefit of a 2 piece is being able to take the jacket off go into a store, diner, etc without having to worry about undressing all together. If you get a quality 2 piece the protection is not that much less than a 1 piece because it will have a 360 zipper at the waist.

Old 10-26-12, 12:08   #9
Knolly
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidersDiscount View Post
The biggest benefit of a 2 piece is being able to take the jacket off go into a store, diner, etc without having to worry about undressing all together.
This is why I got a 2 piece. Plus at track days it was nice to be able to take off the jacket during downtime and cool off a bit. I'm currently in the market for a one piece though since I'm going to start racing next year which requires a one piece, womp womp.

Old 10-31-12, 19:20   #10
Red October

Many TD orgs require a 2-piece zip around.
If this is your only moto gear, get a 2 piece that zips. Protection-wise I don't think it matters that much. My anecdotal evidence is my track buddy who has managed to crash at least 3 times this year, at least once close to 100mph. His 2-piece has all the usual holes in it from crashes but still zips and still holds strong.

If you go with 1-piece then nothing beats bungie cord as the preferred method of support of the top portion of the suit while you're resting at the track. Taking the suit and boots off is too much work esp if it's a custom sized skin tight suit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement