Ninja 300 Ridden! - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports

News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports any and all 675 ride experiences and news

Old 10-09-12, 00:26   #1
tnr4

Default Ninja 300 Ridden!

Hey folks,

So, several of you asked me to post some thoughts after I picked up my new Ninjette, and I finally brought her home today. Of course, it was the coldest day of the year so far, with constant rain, so I rode 120 miles through 45 degree showers. Funny thing though, I didn't care!

First observations: I was nervous about whether I was really prepared for how much slower this was going to be than my Streety, but I didn't need to be. I LOVE this bike. Under 4k or so it's a little tedious, but 5-10k is a lot of fun, and I actually get to use all the gears. In addition, there are several things I like better than the Triumph: better wind protection, easier clutch, smoother throttle, more comfortable, and generally just more relaxing. Since it was raining and the tires were like ice, I didn't get to do any of the less relaxing (fun) riding, but I'm pretty confident that that will go well also. And I have to say, I was shocked at how well the IRC tires performed in the rain -- totally confidence-inspiring. In addition, after 120 miles of hard, break-in riding (lots of warm-up for several heat cycles, revving and engine braking a lot, rather than droning at a fuel-efficient pace), I still had more than half a tank left. I filled it back up just so I could measure: nearly 55 mpg in those gas-guzzling conditions.

The guys at the dealership said that if I want to ride back out there for it, they'll do my break-in service for free. What, you think I would ride into the mountains on any nice day I choose and let someone else change my oil for free? Why yes, yes I will do that.

It was a good day. I'm thrilled to have a Ninjette in my garage again, even though I'm sure I'll miss my Streety.

Pic PS: Given the shitty weather, I didn't have a great photo op. But here's one of me at the dealership getting to know her; one in the 'beautiful' weather while I'm thawing in a coffee shop; and one tucked in back home after I got her in and cleaned her up.

tnr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	33319   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	33320   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	33321  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-12, 00:38   #2
Knolly
BOTM Winner

Thanks for the writeup, sounds awesome! And that bike looks AMAZING in white. Kawi really stepped up their game on this one, I'm jealous!

Old 10-09-12, 00:49   #3
Neanderthal

Good-looking bike! How were the vibrations? Acceleration for passing on the highway? How tall are you?

Old 10-09-12, 00:49   #4
OKStriple

Keep us posted as you get a chance to push it on some curves.

All I care about is my Street Triple and like, maybe 3 or 4 people

Old 10-09-12, 00:51   #5
415TRIUMPH

how cool is that, looking forward to more reviews

Old 10-09-12, 00:57   #6
SeeNoEvo

Looks like I found my wife's first bike!

Thanks for the great review

Old 10-09-12, 01:26   #7
tnr4

Hey, didn't know there were so many Ninjette fans on here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKStriple View Post
Keep us posted as you get a chance to push it on some curves.
Will do. Hopefully on the menu tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Good-looking bike! How were the vibrations? Acceleration for passing on the highway? How tall are you?
Thanks! Vibrations were really minimal -- MUCH better than the 250s. Below about 5k you can tell it's a twin; no buzziness or anything, but you can feel the pulse of the cylinders -- didn't both me at all. Over 5k and there was nothing -- silky smooth, and it doesn't even sound like a twin; it kinda' sings. AMAZINGLY, I was actually a fan of the sound up high in the rev range. On engine braking, there is a point at about the bottom third of the rev range where you get the only real buzzy vibrations that I felt the whole time -- it tingles through the tank a bit. But that's only on strong decal, like for a light, while just engine braking. In other words, its a very limited scenario, and I just didn't mind it at all. The Ninja 1000 I rode buzzed through the tank for an entire 3-4k rpm section, whether accelerating, decelerating, whatever; I couldn't handle that. The 300 is a beautifully riding machine, ESPECIALLY for a baby twin.

I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs without gear. Tons of passing power. In 6th gear, 60-80 isn't fast, but it still pulls. If you're in a hurry, pop it into 4th, and zip right by. On one entrance to a highway, I did 0-80 at an aggressive, but not crazy pace. It was totally easy, smooth, and had lots more to give at 80. Keep it in the power band, and it really doesn't feel like a tiny bike. It's slow enough that I get to bang through the gears, and I won't get myself in trouble going 100 in 3rd gear, but it's plenty peppy enough to keep my entertained. I'm telling you guys, this is one seriously fun little bike. If you have any other questions, let me know!

tnr

Old 10-09-12, 01:27   #8
Knolly
BOTM Winner

Gonna take it to the track at all?

Old 10-09-12, 01:44   #9
Zen

How much did you pay for it? This over your strip???
Excellent review.

Old 10-09-12, 02:06   #10
dlroto

I'm glad you love your bike, I really like your color choice and I wish you luck with it. Don't forget us in this forum. Keep us posted on feedback about your purchase n

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

Sponsored Links
Advertisement