Need advice for lowering Daytona 675 ( Soupy lower link). :) - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > All Things Suspension

Old 10-05-12, 01:00   #1
domanhtien2007

Default Need advice for lowering Daytona 675 ( Soupy lower link). :)

Hello everyone, how are you guys doing? :)
I need your advice and opinions again.
I just bought a lower link for my bike which is the 09 Daytona 675, and this is the link where I got it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daytona-675-...237133&vxp=mtr

In the description, they said that I don't need to lower the front and I can lower my bike up to 4 inches. However, I read some posts on the Internet from the other forums which said that I need to lower the front also, otherwise the bike will be not stable when riding. Therefore, do I need to lower the front also? If I do, how much do I need to lower the front? I am not gonna do it by myself but ask a bike mechanic who is my friend also to do it. Moreover, the reason I wanna lower the bike cuz it is too tall for me. My height is 5'2. I have been riding the bike since last October 2011, and dropped the bike on the road a few times. Furthermore, I also wanna take my friend on the bike with me too. ;)

I am looking forward to receive your advice and opinions. Have a nice day and ride safe, everyone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-12, 06:19   #2
!!675R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domanhtien2007 View Post
I just bought a lower link for my bike which is the 09 Daytona 675, and this is the link where I got it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Daytona-675-...237133&vxp=mtr

In the description, they said that I don't need to lower the front and I can lower my bike up to 4 inches. However, I read some posts on the Internet from the other forums which said that I need to lower the front also, otherwise the bike will be not stable when riding. Therefore, do I need to lower the front also? If I do, how much do I need to lower the front? I am not gonna do it by myself but ask a bike mechanic who is my friend also to do it. Moreover, the reason I wanna lower the bike cuz it is too tall for me. My height is 5'2. I have been riding the bike since last October 2011, and dropped the bike on the road a few times. Furthermore, I also wanna take my friend on the bike with me too. ;)

I am looking forward to receive your advice and opinions. Have a nice day and ride safe, everyone.

I plan on doing the same when I get back home, but only about 1 inch so i can be flat footed. Since I have not done this yet, dont take my words for the truth. But I would say that depending on how much you are lowering it then dropping the forks would be a good idea. Lowering the bike in general will cause the bike to loose some of the maneuverability since you are changing the line of the bike. But lowering the rear, and not lining the front up to match could make it worse. I am sure someone on here has more knowledge about this. Keep us updated, I am very interested to see the outcome.

Old 10-05-12, 10:36   #3
Wei

You don't have to lower the front, but the bike will not be as flickable as before.

I'd lower the seat first, then lower the rear by linkage.

Old 10-05-12, 11:07   #4
Smoke

And get thick-soled boots

But perhaps you just lack riding experience.

Changing the bike's geometry will affect its handling, whether you lower the front too or not, but lowering the front as well would mitigate the effects.

Seriously, 4 inches is huge.

Don't forget the stand might also get too long.

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Old 10-05-12, 11:27   #5
!!675R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post

Changing the bike's geometry will affect its handling, whether you lower the front too or not, but lowering the front as well would mitigate the effects.

Yeah, I would say that 4 inches would probably destroy the bikes handling all together. But I would look into an adjustable stand, they are on ebay for about 100 bucks.

Old 10-05-12, 13:06   #6
Cloud22116

Not to mention I'm not sure the Daytona has 4 inches of ground clearance.
stock for now

Old 10-05-12, 13:07   #7
domanhtien2007

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I will try to lower 2 inches firstly. If I don't like it. I will put it back to the stock height and buy another bike, but still keep this one because this is my first love.
I will let you know how I feel after lowering it 2 inches.
Have a nice day, and ride safe. ;)

Old 10-08-12, 05:55   #8
FlyinBrian24

Quote:
Originally Posted by domanhtien2007 View Post

As a fellow short guy,(5'6") My d675 was lowered 2" when I bought it. I never rode on the street so I never ran into the problems that your having. I put the stock link back on it because it changes the geometry of the rear suspension and mine is a race/trackbike where setup is more important than comfort. that being said, If you just cant get comfortable on it any other way then remember that whatever you do to the rear the front has to be lowered an equal amount.
Contrary to popular belief,not altering the front to match the rear will slow the steering but other than that it's not going to do anything relly wierd.especially at street speeds

Old 10-08-12, 06:07   #9
!!675R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei View Post
You don't have to lower the front, but the bike will not be as flickable as before.

I'd lower the seat first, then lower the rear by linkage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post

So, i was thinking. The general consensus seems to be that lowering the bike will alter the handling dramatically or at least noticably. Then i was thinking about dominguezs bike, how much he has the forks dropped and the bike lowered. Not sure how much, but with himn being only lik 5'3 im sure its a bit. The bike seems to work just fine for him? IDk, i think there is alot of room for debate on this one. I am just going off what I have heard, not personal experience though.

Old 10-15-12, 23:00   #10
Mountainbikeracer

I have the same problem with the height issue!

My questions are if I lower the rear by 2 inches, then what's the amount that I should lower the front? If I lower the rear by 1 inch, then will 3/4 of inche be ok? BTW, I'm 5'4" at 150 Lbs. My biggest concern is loosing the handling characeristics. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement