Schwampa vs Freeze Out vs Knox Cold Killer - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Riding Gear

Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

Old 10-04-12, 15:10   #1
Neanderthal

Default Schwampa vs Freeze Out vs Knox Cold Killer

Schwampa vs Cycle Gear Freeze Out vs Knox Cold Killer

Anyone have experience with all 3 base-layer brands mentioned above? Specifically the tops. I currently have a Schwampa top, and it's pretty good but does not block the wind. Looking for something that is really thin, as I don't have room for bulk with the current jackets I have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-12, 19:48   #2
Thatkid

Why moto specific companies? Outdoor companies have been building this stuff a lot longer and with a better range of motion. Pick a big name company and they have a thin wind block layer. North face, Columbia, Patagonia, arcteryx, westcomb, mountain hardwear... You might pay a little more depending on what you choose, but will be better served in the long run. I can probably get you a deal depending on the piece.

Old 10-06-12, 10:56   #3
Robmilkshakes

I have the freeze out long johns and am very happy with them. In my perforated leathers they block the wind and generally keep me warm down to about 40 degrees, I've yet to try below 40.

Old 10-06-12, 23:53   #4
Neanderthal

I picked up the Freeze-Out top today. It's about the same thickness as the Schwampa, but it's supposed to be windproof and water resistant. So I'll be able to do a direct comparison. Cycle Gear has them at 50% off, plus buy one get one free right now, so that really sweetened the deal.

Old 10-07-12, 21:02   #5
wvstr

If you really want to stay warm, you should consider an electric liner or vest, keep your core warm and the rest of your extremities will stay warm. I have a Gerbings jacket liner and when the weather starts cooling down, it sure is nice just to dial up some heat and ride warm, never had it over half way up, wear it under a Scorpion XDR Commander jacket w/ the wind proof/ waterproof liner and Olympia overpants.

Old 10-07-12, 21:55   #6
Neanderthal

No doubt the electric stuff is warmer, but I needed the thinnest base layer as my jackets are pretty snug to start with. Trying to get the most mileage out of my summer gear as possible, lol.

Old 10-08-12, 01:06   #7
Thatkid

http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99...efault,pd.html

Very thin and battery operated. The battery can be unplugged from the vest and used to charge other USB powdered items.

Pricey though.

Old 10-08-12, 13:46   #8
Papachristou

i have freeze out gear. unforunately, i have the jacket style top that zips at the sleeves. i can definitely feel those zips let in some air. i wear scorpion duece air pants with ultra thin wind liner and they are warmer it feels like. I have happy with the freeze out gear tho because i take it off when i get to my destination. it's cheap too when on sale.
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Old 10-18-12, 00:58   #9
Geof3

As mentioned earlier, compared to outdoor wear garments, motorcycle specific stuff just sucks. I'm a skier and climber (mostly winter mountaineering and ice climbing) and wear my base layers under my gear. I have several pieces that I wear for differing conditions. If you want REAL windblock look for either windstopper products from Polartec or N2O which are windblocker base layers. There are a bit pricey especially if you go up into Arcteryx (arguably the best stuff out there) but you can find great pieces at REI with their REI brand for better prices. All the brands mentioned above are great too, though I have found columbia stuff to be inferior overall compared to the other brands.

Old 10-18-12, 10:45   #10
Thatkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
As mentioned earlier, compared to outdoor wear garments, motorcycle specific stuff just sucks. I'm a skier and climber (mostly winter mountaineering and ice climbing) and wear my base layers under my gear. I have several pieces that I wear for differing conditions. If you want REAL windblock look for either windstopper products from Polartec or N2O which are windblocker base layers. There are a bit pricey especially if you go up into Arcteryx (arguably the best stuff out there) but you can find great pieces at REI with their REI brand for better prices. All the brands mentioned above are great too, though I have found columbia stuff to be inferior overall compared to the other brands.
Eh, I'd argue that arcteryx is the best out there. Ever since they moved almost everything to china they can suck it. Did it quietly too. Didn't even tell their in house reps. That's just shady. Plus, every rep I've met from them is a giant douchebag. They make nice stuff and used to be the leaders but I'd rather put my money towards westcomb, mammut or eider.

As for Columbia being inferior, that's bs. While their fit isn't as nice, it will outlast almost any brand. I'll take Columbia over north face any day of the week. Tnf shit comes into my shop almost weekly with broken zippers or a blown out seam. If a Columbia jacket comes in for repair its because the zipper finally wore out after 10 years or so. In the last 4 years or so, Columbia has been producing much more technical stuff. They have one of the most waterproof breathable membranes on the market and their heated clothing is the only line that hasn't been recalled in under a year of release from burn hazard.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement