NHTSA Recall - Regulator/Rectifier 2006-2009 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair

Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

Old 09-22-12, 09:58   #1
mjkuhno

Default NHTSA Recall - Regulator/Rectifier 2006-2009

Model Year(s):
TRIUMPH / DAYTONA 675 2006-2009
TRIUMPH / STREET TRIPLE 2006-2009

Manufacturer: TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLES AMERICA LTD
Mfr's Report Date: SEP 05, 2012

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 12V445000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:ALTERNATOR/GENERATOR/REGULATOR

Potential Number of Units Affected: 10,366

Summary: Triumph is recalling certain model year 2006-2009 Street Triple, Street Triple R, and Daytona 675 motorcycles. The regulator/rectifier can overheat and prevent the motorcycle from charging. Once the battery is fully discharged, the motorcycle may stall.

Consequence: If the motorcycle stalls, there is an increased risk of a crash leading to personal injury.

Remedy: Triumph will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and replace the regulator/rectifier, free of charge. Triumph has not provided notification schedule. Owners may contact Triumph customer service department at 1-678-854-2010.

Notes: Owners may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-12, 01:24   #2
MacBandit

Funny this is the exact reason I told the instructor at the Triumph school. He was saying it wasn't really a safety problem. I told him what if the bike dies in the middle of the freeway or a high speed corner. He thought it was a good point. He's since been let go from Triumph who knows why.

Old 09-24-12, 16:10   #3
Ts-Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno View Post
Consequence: If the motorcycle stalls, there is an increased risk of a crash leading to personal injury.
This interesting. There was a service bulletin to fix these as well. I guess it has reached recall severity. Mine failed last Monday leaving me with a non-functioning bike while on the highway. Lucky for me I managed to get off the highway safely. Had it replaced by the dealer on Friday and everything works fantastically.

Moral of the story: If you're bike is in this category - SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT NOW.

Old 10-01-12, 17:26   #4
shalihe74
Phantom Admin-ette

Stickied & bumped.

Sponsored by: The Helmet Center
Custom paint by: Sonoran Desert Cycle

Old 10-01-12, 18:16   #5
GoonerYoda

sucks for those who already had them replaced with a Rick's stator and r/r?! Oh well....

Old 10-15-12, 12:48   #6
Rink675

Just called them and my bike falls under that replacement so it's a good thing I haven't put it in the basement yet lol

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike

Old 11-12-12, 23:56   #7
jaysexxin

Thanks for the find and info.

Old 11-13-12, 19:28   #8
rideco
Race Team Sponsor

Thanks!! Called my dealer and I am up for the recall. I would have never know if I had not dropped by here. U guys rock.
Thanks!!
You cant look this sexy off the rack.

Old 01-29-13, 22:57   #9
jccaballeros

Thanks... Called them last month... got it done... they even installed a new fuel pump relay -per another recall.

Old 04-29-13, 10:51   #10
zerocool29

Smile This recall has come just in time...

This recall has come just in time... My friend invited me to his house up in the hills. It was a beautiful day yesterday here in Perth, Western Australia. Decided to take the Triumph Daytona 675 for a spin. Unfortunately 12 minutes into the ride, I was doing about 90km / hr when suddenly the gauges went all crazy (like a photon torpedo had just hit me on star trek, i lost shields, then i lost all power...) in a nut shell.
There is nothing like breaking down out in the middle of no where... my save and grace is that i am just glad it happened during the daylight hours. I'd hate for it to have happened at night time as its out in the middle of no where.... I've also learned now to pack a small tool kit and place it on my bike somewhere (anywhere!). Trying to work on your bike with 1x allen key sucked @#$#@!!! After checking all the fuses, found the fuse that caused the issue under my seat. Replaced the fuse with a working 30A spare one, then proceeded to hook the battery up. As soon as i hooked the second terminal up, smoke started billowing out of the middle of the bike. I quickly un-plugged the battery and waited for the smoke to dissipate. On that note, i had to look at calling a tow truck. I had to upgrade my membership to the highest on RAC to get a tow truck to come and see me. It was either that or pay a tow truck $150 for a once off pick up. I'd rather pay the upgraded membership and have coverage all year.

Anyway, on that note, its public transport *shudder* for god knows how long... At a guess, i reckon it rectifier. To replace these parts here in Aus, its like $1700 in Australia last i checked! OUCH! (thats for the strata and strata rectifier, and labour)

P.S Bike is Triumph Daytona 675 2007 late Model with approx 55,000 km on it.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement