Old Blue's literary masterpieces - editorial spin, imagination and good old bullsh*t - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Regional forums > Australia and Asia-Pacific

Australia and Asia-Pacific AAP Regional forum; rides, get togethers, events

Old 08-02-12, 02:16   #1
bluedaytona02

Default Old Blue's literary masterpieces - editorial spin, imagination and good old bullsh*t

I get the daily email from BGW in Sydney offering special pricing on close-outs and excess stock, as well as some of the stuff we all need from time to time like brakes and chain & sprocket combo's.

lately, Jesper's tales have become a little long-winded and he's inducted new writers to break the boredom and continue the whimsical vibe of BGW's daily special offers. Some may have recognized OB's name tacked onto the end of Bike Gear Warehouse's daily special offer.

Why this thread? Am I now on the payroll?
Nah, it's just an opportunity to take the piss out of OB while he enjoys road testing all the (free???) products thrown his way.

Here's the link so you can receive some of this daily dose of magic - http://www.bikegearwarehouse.com/dpo...ptionsform.htm
or facebook - http://www.facebook.com/bgwcomau

I hope after his most recent mountain bike accident while road testing some gloves he didn't hit his head....

Now if only I can work 'Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree' into this as well.

Let the flaming begin.
Current: '06 Daytona 675 ('08 BEARS winning bike - Chris Panayi) White with Pitty's Custom Vinyls TTC decals STM Slipper Clutch Braking wave rotors with folding/adjustable levers GB engine covers Valter Moto Rearsets Race kit detent wheel & idle adjuster 1050 throttle tube Captive Wheel Spacers MotoGems bling Vortex clip-ons, Stomp grip 520 conversion Puig screen Madaz slip-on Intake flapper & Ex-up removed Swing-arm pivot mod. Thinner head gasket Custom tune

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-12, 02:32   #2
old blue

Oh deary, deary me.

I guess it's a good thing I have both broad shoulders and a thick skin, but all the same, Waz, the moment I get time I'm going to send you a post pack of mashed potato for your trouble....

O.B

Old 08-02-12, 03:50   #3
allaussiegrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post
Oh deary, deary me.

I guess it's a good thing I have both broad shoulders and a thick skin, but all the same, Waz, the moment I get time I'm going to send you a post pack of mashed potato for your trouble....

O.B
Haha these guys are 10 minutes from me. Subscribed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

'11 675R
Werkes Slip On Pipe + STD Fender Elim + Intergrated Tailight - ZG Double Bubble DS - Dual HID Headlights and Angel Eyes with Coloured Headlight Housing - Red Seat Cowl - LED Strip Indicators - 1050 Throttle Tube -
Attack Reasrsets (Red Pegs) - Powdercoated wheels and Sidestand - GB protection Kit - CRG Levers folding - Saddlemen CF Track Seat - Watsens

Old 08-08-12, 00:09   #4
bluedaytona02

Default OB's lastest installment

SA, Golden Grove, Wednesday 8th August
The kids are alright – by Kym Liebig
The weekend before last I spent engaged in activities that could be seen as irresponsible, reckless, socially unacceptable, and placing my child’s health at risk. I haven’t had such a good time in ages, and my seven year-old daughter has hardly talked about anything else since. She just walks around puffed up with pride, a smile on her face like a cracked pie.
You see, we were invited to spend a day at a friend’s shack in the country. I had to take along an old wood heater anyhow, so the opportunity was there to load the little pit bike on the trailer as well. I didn’t really know much about the location we were headed to, but if it happened that there was nowhere to ride, the bike could just stay on the trailer.
When we arrived, it turned out there was a perfect patch to ride on, just across from the house. On with lids, on with gloves, and away we went, me on the back and my little girl on the front. I spent an hour or so teaching her how the clutch friction point worked, and that ‘clutch in’ meant ‘drive disengaged’, regardless of what was happening with the loud handle. Before I knew it we were starting and stopping with ease. In next to no time I was being told that first gear wasn’t fast enough any more. Rest stops were brief. While there was fuel in the bike, my daughter insisted we were riding.
The highlight of the day was a drag race instigated as my wife and her wheelchair-bound jogging partner (long story…) came into sight heading up the hill alongside our riding area. I’ve never seen a kid turn a bike around quite so quickly! Drawing up alongside our rivals, there was manic giggling as my daughter executed an exaggerated cranking of her right wrist and left those suckers in the dust, drowned in the soundtrack created by 140cc’s of pure Chinese power. Even now I break into a smile at the thought of it.
Looking back, it makes me sad to think that such a day of good, clean fun would be frowned upon by many families today. Our world has become safe, sterile and conservative. Unnecessary risks are frowned upon. Anything we could so much as bruise ourselves on is covered in hazard tape and warning signs. Kids miss out on so much because of our over-protective society.
Like most parents I’m keen to look after my kids, but a bruise here and a scrape there never killed anyone. And I love my kids enough to want to expose them to some thrills now and then. Who knows, the skills and discipline needed to control a bike might even make them more mature and independent.
Am I crazy, or are we raising cotton-wool kids, many of whom will never enjoy bikes because they’re portrayed in society as death traps ridden only by outlaw bikies, crusty demons or MotoGP heroes? Have your say on our Facebook page.

Amen OB.
So when are you teaching my girls to ride the PW50?

It's seen no action since the repairs, save for a couple of laps of the man-made lake out the front her to test it.
Current: '06 Daytona 675 ('08 BEARS winning bike - Chris Panayi) White with Pitty's Custom Vinyls TTC decals STM Slipper Clutch Braking wave rotors with folding/adjustable levers GB engine covers Valter Moto Rearsets Race kit detent wheel & idle adjuster 1050 throttle tube Captive Wheel Spacers MotoGems bling Vortex clip-ons, Stomp grip 520 conversion Puig screen Madaz slip-on Intake flapper & Ex-up removed Swing-arm pivot mod. Thinner head gasket Custom tune

Old 08-08-12, 02:07   #5
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Damn good read OB.

Old 08-08-12, 04:04   #6
old blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaytona02 View Post

Amen OB.
So when are you teaching my girls to ride the PW50?

It's seen no action since the repairs, save for a couple of laps of the man-made lake out the front her to test it.
That's a sin, Waz. A real sin.

Mind you...choosing a 140cc bike as a starter bike for a 7 year-old is possibly not the most responsible move ever made. That little bike takes off like a rocket, even with both of us on board!

(Possibly doesn't help that I've dropped a tooth on the countershaft sprocket and fitted a quarter turn throttle...)

But hey, at least my daughter's learning not to scare easily!

O.B

Old 08-08-12, 04:49   #7
bluedaytona02

I'm sure that little 140 is has about 50% more power with a big bore kit and other finely tuned power upgrades...

I'm still teaching the almost 4yo to ride a pushy. Still got training wheels and prefers her feet zip tied to the pedals so they don't come off - worked a treat at the beginning but now I need to break the habit.

Yes, the little PW50 needs a run too. The cops are onto unreg bikes around here pretty quick though... I live just down the road from the local TOG base.

Old 08-13-12, 22:41   #8
bluedaytona02

Today's installment... enjoy.

"SA, Golden Grove, Tuesday 14th August
Riding all year ‘round won’t kill you - by Kym Liebig
Riding all year ‘round won’t kill you. We’re coming up to a really special time of year where I live. A time when mornings as crisp and sharp as Smith’s best salt and vinegar chips open up to bright, sapphire blue days full of warmth and promise, as winter starts packing her bags.
The roads of the hills are calling to bikers again.
And as much as I love this time of year, I dread it, too. I consciously avoid the 6 o’clock news, simply because I know with morbid certainty that once again I’ll see the same gut-wrenching roll-out of early spring biker deaths. I’ll frame it for you; sharp-suited news reporter gives soulless ten second summary at location. Cutaway to shot of shattered bike, ambulance nearby. Throw to brief sermon by police spokesperson yammering something about excessive speed. It’s so predictable it makes me feel sick.
So I’ll climb onto my well-worn soapbox and say this – in my opinion, a good number of these deaths could be avoided simply by bikers being bikers more often. So many recreational riders roll their bikes into the garage after the first rainy autumn day, throw a sheet over them, and don’t look at them again until next spring. When those first sunny days arrive, bikes are rolled out, flat batteries cursed, then charged or replaced, and it’s time to ride again. If only riding skills were as easily refurbished as batteries! Because over the course of those first few spring rides, most of the folks who don’t ride all year round will quickly realise that their riding is more than a bit rusty. Meanwhile, the car drivers of the world – often dull as a political policy speech at the best of times – are suddenly faced with greatly increased numbers of bikes on the road. So…the car drivers aren’t used to the bikes being on the road, and at the same time, the bikers are far from their best riding form. This is the same sad formula that leads us to the weekend news headlines every spring. “And tonight, more carnage on our hills roads as police again warn motorcyclists of the dangers of excessive speed…”
So what’s so bad about riding all year round that so many of us put our lives on the line by venturing out only in the warmer months? Rain? Around much of Australia there are plenty of dry days even in the middle of winter. What’s more, even if it does rain, learning how to ride in wet conditions is a skill that’s both satisfying and necessary. Cold? Come on. To paraphrase Billy Connolly “There’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong choice of clothes.” Gear up and get out there. What’s that? Your bike gets filthy in winter? Hmmm…perhaps it’s time you traded the terrors of biking for family trips to IKEA. Enjoy that.
In my own experience there are more magical rides to be enjoyed throughout the cold months than there are miserable ones. Wrapping freezing hands around a hot drink and tucking in to a bacon and egg roll at a favourite café feels like a wonderful reward for braving the cold. Skills stay sharp, and spring holds no surprises for riders who’ve spent winter dealing with damp patches, slippery leaves and errant car drivers.
If you’re not riding all year round, I’d suggest that one of the best things you can do to help protect yourself – and enjoy your riding more – is to roll that bike out of the garage rain or shine. It won’t kill you. In fact it might even save your life."

I think there should be some kind of editorial prize offer by our wordsmith for picking up spelling and grammatical errors... after-all, he was King Grammar Nazi...

Old 08-13-12, 23:45   #9
JayP

haha i particuarly liked the "well-worn soap box" :)

I feel the challenge of getting 675.net into your daily blog should be issued! Or at very least a liberal splattering of the word "Trumpy"...
Track - 2006 R6 sold :(

Old 08-21-12, 23:09   #10
bluedaytona02

No comment from Grammar Nazi with reference to his own performance...?

Here's today's piece of genius...
"A salute to the commuters. Recently I voiced my opinions on riding all year round, and how I believe that getting out on the bike as often as possible throughout every season makes us better riders. That article was immediately met by comments on the BGW Facebook page stating that commuting was the answer to keeping riding skills finely honed. And that made me smile…because it’s precisely where I was headed next with my ramblings.
So here’s to you, commuters. Here’s to bikes covered in a permanent, thin film of filth. Here’s to Cordura jackets you’ve long since forgotten the original colour of. Here’s to biting cold, pouring sweat, splitting lanes and cheating death. Here’s to that life-saving sixth sense you work so hard for, and the self-confidence it brings.
Fair weather bikers will never know about keeping the near-miss survival stories to themselves every day when they arrive at work in one piece. They haven’t arrived home and stood under the verandah waiting for the worst of the water to drain off their oversuits so they can go inside without leaving puddles, either. They don’t own grubby McGyver-inspired backpacks kitted out to fix a flat tyre, change a plug, troubleshoot electrics and perform minor mechanical miracles to get them home. Committed commuter bikers are confident and self-reliant. In a world of traffic that’s out to get them, they look after themselves.
I love the way seasoned commuter riders are both as visible and invisible as they need to be. Getting themselves seen when safety calls for it, but most of the time seamlessly slipping between lanes, deftly steering from the hips to slalom around SUV mirrors, the width of the bike judged perfectly, the gap down to a hair’s breadth. Good commuter riders don’t attract attention unnecessarily. They don’t invoke the wrath of car drivers, because they know the same driver they piss off on Monday and Tuesday will also be there on Wednesday, ready to narrow the gap if he got out of bed on the wrong side that morning.
I commuted every day for years, in fair weather and foul. On an old Yamaha SR250, on a Suzuki X7, on a Kawasaki KDX250 and finally on Delilah, my faithful Kawasaki ZZR600. Now that I work from home I still miss the ride. And I still have the commuter’s habit of walking to the kitchen window first thing every morning, squinting at the sky, reading the weather.
People who commute on bikes know how to survive the trials of traffic. And I appreciate the fact that while a few do it for economic reasons, so many still do it for the love of it. For the freedom, and the pride that comes with achieving a very special skill recognised by only a minority, but valued dearly by those who’ve gone the distance for it.
Look at it this way – it may not be Phillip Island or The Great Ocean Road, but for many bikers all over this country, it’s still a daily ride, more time on a bike for people who can never get enough. Folks like me who are mad enough to ride through the traffic in the rain, look at the people stuck in their warm cars and feel sorry for them. People who know that any ride at all is better than none. If you’re out there doing it every day, I salute you. And truth be told, I’m more than a bit jealous."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement