Mods for Track Days on St3r - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Track Days

Track Days Track days and other non-racing related track events

Old 06-23-12, 09:54   #1
Zoomzoommo

Default Mods for Track Days on St3r

Just did my first motorcycle track day last weekend, and realize that most potential improvements will come from proper instruction and seat time. But I need some advice on a few matters.

First, I've been reading up on the 1050 throttle tube mod, and wanted some input as to if it would help with smoother throttle modulation and control mid-corner?

Second, my left boot scraped the ground a few times, probably because I need to move more onto the balls of my feet. Would the Arrow rear sets provide more ground clearance? Also, my 48 y/o inside knee was protesting a bit when hanging off the bike (too many basketball games on concrete in my youth perhaps). Would different rear sets make it easier or harder to move around?

Third, we were running the track on a counter clockwise configuration, so I was (primarily) leaning left. How much of a concern is scraping the Arrow 3-1 on hard right hand leaners? Have read varying accounts in this regards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPnib...e_gdata_player

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-12, 10:16   #2
Willy Wonka

Send a message via MSN to Willy Wonka

1050 is the best mod imho for your bike (around 10$ at your dealer).
I scraped my boots also with the stock rearset (daytona), it's a body position fault. So try to hang of more.
The rearset is adjustable so you can put the pegs higher. But it is personal preference.
Maybe a better idea to setup your suspension (but I don't know how much adjustability the street triple forks have).

Old 06-23-12, 13:56   #3
blorgfreth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomzoommo View Post
Just did my first motorcycle track day last weekend, and realize that most potential improvements will come from proper instruction and seat time. But I need some advice on a few matters.

First, I've been reading up on the 1050 throttle tube mod, and wanted some input as to if it would help with smoother throttle modulation and control mid-corner?
Some track-newbie answers.
I'll just say this one's probably not that helpful for what you want. It reduces the turn required to get to full throttle, which means that slight tube movements make more difference to throttle opening. I did a similar mod on my Gladius, (with a GSX tube) and while it was way easier to launch and power out of corners, maintenance throttle into the corner took more finesse.
Something like this would probably be more helpful. http://www.g2ergo.com/
Quote:
Second, my left boot scraped the ground a few times, probably because I need to move more onto the balls of my feet.
I asked the same question, and this was the general answer: Where is it scraping? Point of toe, you definitely need to move your foot back before you break it off. Side of toe, (where mine scraped) body position is wrong. Not out far enough, hips too closed. The knee should be hitting before the peg and the peg before the boot.

Old 06-23-12, 15:12   #4
Zoomzoommo

Thanks for the feedback. I'll forego the aforementioned mods and focus on developing better and proper riding techniques. I did have the suspension professionally set beforehand. And logically my boot edges will not scrape if the balls of my feet are on the pegs.

Old 06-23-12, 15:28   #5
Hokie

Yeah, you want the balls of your feet on the pegs at all times. Even on the street. You also want to keep your foot tight against the bike. Don't point your inside toe into the turns like so many people do. Once you get the bike over further, your foot will drag more. You don't want to catch a toe on the track, as it'll rip your foot off the bike, and has the potential to mess up your ankle.

Biggest thing is work on body position, and being as smooth as you can. Remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Old 06-23-12, 16:04   #6
Sammy901

Now I feel old...Last time I rode at Hallet was back in 2004 (2nd trackday ever) while I was attending Biomed school at Sheppard AFB down in TX. Still hate the Bus Stop 90 degree left hander.

Old 06-24-12, 16:51   #7
jeffpm

I've done a couple of track days on my ST3R. I have a GoPro camera and reviewing it really helps me see areas I need to work on. Working with a riding coach will also help. And as others have said work on being smooth and work on body position.

Most of all - have fun!

Old 06-24-12, 17:55   #8
Zoomzoommo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy901 View Post
Now I feel old...Last time I rode at Hallet was back in 2004 (2nd trackday ever) while I was attending Biomed school at Sheppard AFB down in TX. Still hate the Bus Stop 90 degree left hander.
Only one way through the bus stop....slow. Love Hallett, have driven (car) several other tracks around the Midwest, but Hallett is still my favorite.

Old 06-24-12, 20:26   #9
old blue

If you have anything like reasonable throttle control, definitely do the 1050 throttle tube mod.

I've never been able to get my head around comments by people who say that the mod makes the throttle too sensitive...those people must surely lack some fine motor skills or just bike riding experience in general. If you're anything but a rank beginner (and I doubt you're a rank beginner if you're venturing to the track...) I don't think you'll have a problem with it.

And yes, as for your scraping, move onto the balls of your feet. I used to think that big feet (well, size 12, anyhow...) meant I was doomed to grind through my boots at the track, but having learned proper foot and body positioning, I seldom scrape nowadays.

Have fun!

O.B

Old 06-25-12, 11:07   #10
blorgfreth

Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post
If you have anything like reasonable throttle control, definitely do the 1050 throttle tube mod.

I've never been able to get my head around comments by people who say that the mod makes the throttle too sensitive...
Not too sensitive, simply requires more finesse. It's fine, it's worth doing in general, just that it's not the right answer for what he's trying to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement