Triumph 675 Forums banner

Knolly's 2009 Daytona 675

20K views 57 replies 19 participants last post by  nripin 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Won May 2012 Bike of the Month!

So I waxed my bike up for the spring and tried to take some photos since the only photos I have of its new paint scheme are old and poorly lit. I realize some of them are repetitive, but I never claimed to be efficient nor a good photographer, so let's do this!

A Brief History of my Bike: I bought a 2009 Jet Black Triumph Daytona 675 it in the fall of 2009. At the time, it was 6 months old and had about 1800 miles on it, and was pretty as can be:

After two years of tinkering and modding it looked like this:

Not gonna lie. Every time I look at pictures of how my bike looked back then I say "Ooph, that's a good looking bike." But I love her how she looks now just as much.

In the summer of 2011 I decided that I wanted some track fairings. At the time, I really didn't have room for two full sets of fairings, so I got a full set of Sharkskinz fairings as well as a street upper fairing, so when I go to the track I can just swap out the upper fairing and be good to go. These were painted in a color scheme very similar to the 675R, and that's the story of how my bike ended up like it is today.

Since some of my mods have resulted in how-to threads I've linked them where appropriate.

Modifications (In no particular order):
- Sharkskinz Bodywork - Painted in a 675R-like scheme with slightly different lines, less decals, and classic Triumph tank logos. I also have a track upper that I swap for track days.
- Shindengen FH012 MOSFET R/R - Located under battery tray
- LED Running Lights, HID Low Beam, and Twinlight Driver3 with Luminics H9 High Beam

- Ducati GT Mirror Turn Signals - These were originally wired with Watsens up front as well, but after the Sharkskinz swap the mirrors are the only front turn signals.
- Lockhart Phillips Flushmount Turn Signals - Attached to Exhaust Cover
- Competition Werkes Integrated Tail Light

- Skidmarx Rear Hugger
- Attack Performance Rearsets
- Rizoma Folding Pegs - For street use, are swapped out for Attack Performance pegs when rearsets are raised for the track.
- Saddlemen Custom Seat - Complete with "Taint Channel." So comfortable.
- Rizoma Front and Rear Axle Sliders (Rear are removed in photos below)
- Evotech Fender Eliminator
- Triumph Passenger Peg Block Offs
- Reflective white rimstripes
- Pro-Bolt Fairing and Windscreen Bolts
- Puig Double Bubble Screen
- Woodcraft Engine Covers
- 520 DID ERV3 Chain and -1/+2 Renthal Sprockets
- RAM Stem Mount - Used with waterproof Aquadbox to use phone as a GPS, have added a headphone jack, volume rocker and a play/pause button to outside of the box for easy control on long trips.
- Powerlet Socket

- TechSpec Snakeskin Tank Grips and Tank Pad
- Rizoma Front Sprocket Cover

- 1050 Throttle Tube

Modifications Added Since Photos Below were Taken:
- Custom Luimoto Seat Cover - White passenger seat to give a color-matched appearance similar to a cowl while still having the option of carrying a passenger.
- Ohlins Steering Damper - Uses Ducati 848 damper bracket and Hyperpro top mount hardware.
- Renthal Road Racing Clip-Ons
- Renthal Kevlar Dual-Compound Grips

Modifications in Photos That Have Since Been Removed:
- Helibars TrackStar Clip-Ons
- Rizoma Bar Ends
- Sharkskinz Solo Tail - Has since been replaced with street tail and color-matched passenger seat.

Future Modifications - Already have parts, just haven't put them on yet:
- HRC Rear Brake Reservoir
- Yamaha R1 Clutch Perch and Lever

And here is the bike in track mode, the "DAYTONA" decal is no longer on the bellypan, although it obviously was when these pictures were taken:

And some nice shots of it with an older cousin:

Shout-Outs:
- TJ at RidersDiscount for helping me get my fix on this awful habit of mine
- All of the members here for inspiring me with plenty of ideas on what I want to do next

See less See more
#10 ·
Thanks guys! I know the mirrors are a pretty subjective thing but I love them haha.

My philosophy with modding my bike for the most part is that everything should look like it could be stock, even if it isn't. This has started changing lately as my bike is slowly morphing more and more into a pure track bike, but I try to still keep that strategy when I can.

#15 ·
Well tonight I'm going to put on an R1 clutch perch, and in a week or two will be getting some Renthal clip-ons, but aside from the Ohlins damper and the HRC I don't think there will be much else in the near future since I'm sadly in money-saving mode... Making responsible financial decisions sucks sometimes, haha.

My next large mod waaaay down the road will be a suspension upgrade. One of my things with my bike is that it is the ONE thing in my life that I like to buy the best things possible for. So, even though I know as a rider I won't be anywhere near the skill level to make use of it, when I finally do upgrade my suspension, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the R1 front end like the Riders Discount bike and a TTX shock. But maybe when I can actually afford it I'll change my mind and do something more reasonable like cartridges, haha.

#17 ·
The Helibars actually are great on the track too. I'm swapping for the Renthals since I damaged the Rizoma bar end on my bike and Renthal clip ons are only slightly more expensive than buying a new set of bar ends. It's just part of the slow transformation of my bike to a pure track bike. If I find the Renthals that much worse for street comfort than I might swap the Helibars back though.

The R1 clutch perch was recommended to me by TJ at RidersDiscount. When I had my slight off, I bent my clutch lever. I was able to bend it back but since it would lower its overall strength, I got a new perch and lever to replace it. Since Triumph stuff is so expensive, an entire R1 perch and lever is about the same price as a 675 lever.

You actually have to remove the entire grip and whatnot to install the R1 perch, so I'm just going to wait until I get my Renthals to install the R1 perch to reduce the number of times I have to fidget with that grip, haha.

#21 ·
LOVE them. Fortunately I haven't crash tested them, but they fit like a second skin and ooze quality. They're seriously great stuff.

And to think I have both 09 stock levers just sitting in a bin. :whistle:
Haha, I was sure I could get a lever from someone on the forum for cheap but I just decided to splurge a bit since I thought, if nothing else, it'd be an interesting little retrofit.

#25 ·
"Bike Looks .....OKAY" haha, Alex remind me to let you know about the 11th. I almost forgot have you decided your plans yet? I still have to contact the guy. I'll prob do it tomorrow if i don't forget again.

#27 ·
Quick little preview...

I switched to a street tail and got a passenger seat cover that blends in nicely. This is just a quick shot I took, I need to try to adjust the seat and tail so it sits a bit nicer and flush, I'll take a better attempt at it on Monday or Tuesday (out of town for the weekend) along with installing a few new goodies!

#33 ·
I bought it from forum member ari211 who had it custom made by Saddlemen. He got it before the started producing them for the 675 so it's made based off of a stock 675 seat. I assume it's just as comfy as the production ones, which TJ at Ridersdiscount carries.

#35 ·
I got my saddleman this week and just put on the pillon cover today, the carbon fiber weave pattern looks super sexy and it is very comfy indeed. A little slippery compared to the stocker, but so far totally worth it...got mine from TJ

I got the track version which is carbon fiber looking leather, the sport is a suade material.

And knolly that pillon cover is the shit man, you got the BOTM and still surprising us with your custom goodies! Keep up the great work!!

#36 ·
@TWW, Any time!

@southpaw. Thanks mate! I'm really happy with the finish and color of it. I'd like to have the option for the occasional passenger but want to keep the solo seat look and I'm definitely pleased with it. As I mentioned, I'm going to try to figure out how to get the tail and seat to sit more flush with each other, but aside from that I like it.

Once I get back I'll be busting out the big guns.

Oh yes.

My damper bracket arrived. :biggrinjester:

#38 ·
Thanks! The pic I posted is a pretty good angle, but from the rear there's just a bit of a gap in-between the seat and the tail fairing that I want to try to close.

#39 ·
Alright, update!

First of all, bent the pillion seat a bit so it sits much nicer now, and I'm very happy with it:

Secondly, got my Renthal Clip-ons and dual compound kevlar Renthal grips installed and they're fantastic. Clip-ons are less comfy than Helibars (which will be up for sale shortly) but they're much more aggressive and track-worthy. I haven't taken really detailed pictures of the clip-ons because I still need to cut a bit of the throttle tube off that is sticking out beyond the grip and isn't exactly aesthetically pleasing.

Thirdly and most importantly, OHLINS DAMPER MOUNTED BOOYAW. Mounted with Hyperpro top mount hardware along with a Ducati 848 Ohlins bracket. Many MANY thanks to TJ at Ridersdiscount for helping me out with getting the bracket I needed and being patient with me asking all the time when it would arrive.

Went on an hour and a half ride to celebrate and it's magnificent.

#42 ·
Well I got some replacement parts for my rear Rizoma fork sliders so I'll be popping those on... But aside from that I don't see anything else in the near future aside from the personal mods, like more track time, haha.

Then again I've said that before and been wrong, so we shall see...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.