newbie here - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Introductions

Introductions New member? Take a few minutes and introduce yourself.

Old 04-18-12, 22:05   #11
Smoke

They ride cruisers, so what do they know ? :)

Not being tucked on a sportbike is far from looking as retarded as being tucked on a naked

And you don't look half old or ugly, seen from here

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-12, 22:11   #12
old blue

The Daytona isn't as good to commute on as the STR, but will be the better bike at most tracks (except perhaps shorter, slower tracks)

The STR does commutes pretty easily, is more comfortable, still excels at track days...and opens the door to a world of wheelies and lunacy, without necessarily always tempting you to speed. Very much.

From where I stand way over here, it seems the STR might be the better option.

O.B

Old 04-18-12, 22:28   #13
Kaosu

Looks like you feel at home on that tona... I love my 675R, but it does sit aggressive. Tank pads can help you use your midsection to take some stress off your wrists, but if you ride a sport like its meant to be ridden you're going to get a workout. Take that into account, but think of it as motivation to keep yourself in shape. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 04-18-12, 22:59   #14
old&ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
They ride cruisers, so what do they know ? :)

Not being tucked on a sportbike is far from looking as retarded as being tucked on a naked

And you don't look half old or ugly, seen from here
hehe, funny post :) If I end up with ST3, I will need to learn how NOT to tuck in, lol.
Speaking of which - how bad is it riding ST3 on the interstate without windshield and fairings? I have never ridden a naked bike at those speeds. Just to give you an idea of my usual weekday commute - I commute to work 60 miles each end on interstate and wind is very strong from those semi's. Plus gravel flies at you - so far full face helmet and windshield did the job but with ST3 I am not sure. I see you can order ST3 with some sort of windshield but is it big enough to really help?

Old 04-19-12, 03:27   #15
novee

Bah, Daytona all the way.

You're small, the ergos won't bother you near as much. Should be fine for your commute and for your cruises, seriously. I'm 5'9", 210 lbs, turning 40 this year, and already have several 200+ & 300+ mile rides on my Daytona. Makes for a fine townie bike.

Old 04-19-12, 04:31   #16
YittleDooba

Quote:
Originally Posted by old&ugly View Post
hehe, funny post :) If I end up with ST3, I will need to learn how NOT to tuck in, lol.
Speaking of which - how bad is it riding ST3 on the interstate without windshield and fairings? I have never ridden a naked bike at those speeds. Just to give you an idea of my usual weekday commute - I commute to work 60 miles each end on interstate and wind is very strong from those semi's. Plus gravel flies at you - so far full face helmet and windshield did the job but with ST3 I am not sure. I see you can order ST3 with some sort of windshield but is it big enough to really help?
Sounds like your trying to convince yourself to rock the Daytona. Haha

I've been under the impression that the serious R/R problems have been ironed out for the most part on the late model 'tonas.

Try making a list of the pros and cons of each bike, and it may help sway your decision. I too weigh 130, but I have a Daytona R with a stock rear spring and it is ROCK HARD. I have not ridden a standard, so I can't comment on the suspension. Of course you will be raked forward much more on the Daytona, but as mentioned previously, this can be altered with bars and rearsets.

With that being said, you can't go wrong with either bike. I say Daytona for freeway riding, and ST3 for 'round town hooning.

Old 04-19-12, 05:50   #17
builtgypsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old&ugly View Post
Speaking of which - how bad is it riding ST3 on the interstate without windshield and fairings?
The bike will see a lot of little side-to-side movement, as you're being buffeted around by various wind forces. I can easily manage 85 for very long stretches of time (up to at least two and a half hours, or 150 miles, when I travel across the state to see friends).

I do have Techspec snakeskin tank grips, and that helps a lot in keeping yourself in a good position to let air flow over you better, as opposed to leaning back to take the weight off your wrists, and essentially turning your body into a huge wind-catching sail.

Not to mention, there's a lot to be said for having the bike in only your lower peripheral vision; makes for a hell of a sensation.*

*If you get rid of those ugly mirror stocks for some nice bar end mirrors, anyway.

Old 04-19-12, 07:31   #18
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

EVERYONE there is a WOMAN HERE and she wants the fastest color.

You are officially accepted into the club.

Old 04-19-12, 08:46   #19
KD_in_KC

First off I'm close to 200 pounds and like to have sensation in my rump after a day of riding. While i'd love to have a Daytona to dedicate to the track, the comfort of the STR is what I prefer. It's my daily commuter and I usually put 200 + miles on it each weekend. The gel seat is much more durable for my rump, then the flat thin pad on the Daytona.

As far as riding position, you will naturally be more upright on the STR. When I ride on highways, it's naturally at around 75-80 all the time, the bike just seems to cruise at that speed with no effort at all. If the wind isn't a factor, I'm comfortable up to 110ish, then the buffets start.

On windy days, I've never felt unsafe even on 40mph days with the wind coming across me. Never had my bike blown into another lane or anything. The bike does pivot under me in the wind without much effort to maintain balance.

For suspension on the Daytona vs STR, you're getting one extra setting for high/low speed dampening (rear), versus just compression and rebound on the rear of the STR. As far as I can tell the front suspension is pretty much the same.

Just don't get the bike you don't want. If you want a sporty feel to the STR, a quick shifter, clip ons, rear sets, and shorty levers are all available to give you the lean that you want. If you need the protection of the fairings...then the choice is clear.

Best of luck with your decision. Oh, and I have a bunch of cruisers that I ride with and while they may give me some crap about my bike style, I'm still the fastest guy that rides with them, and with the smallest power plant in the bunch.

Enjoy and safe travels.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

Old 04-19-12, 09:24   #20
santafepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
EVERYONE there is a WOMAN HERE and she wants the fastest color.
Mmm... you must be confused, black is the fastest color.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement