No Speed Triple 1200... maybe a Street Triple 800? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports

News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports any and all 675 ride experiences and news

Old 01-25-12, 23:39   #1
nelson
BOTM Winner

Default No Speed Triple 1200... maybe a Street Triple 800?

Triumph's Product Manager talks Speed Triple R. So what are the chances of a 1200 version Simon?

Will we see an 800 or 1200 Speed Triple?
There have been a few people who have said 'Now you've got this great 1215 engine, why don't you put it on a Speed Triple?' Quite simply, it wouldn't be a very good Speed Triple. It's too big, it's too slow-revving, it doesn't have the right character at all. The Speed Triple needs an exciting engine and with the 1215 engine it would be like building a [BMW] K1300R which is not what we want to do.

And an 800?
Not in the immediate future. It's something we're aware of [with the Street Triple] we're halfway between where the market is going in terms of the 750/800s and the 600s, so we're alright for a bit but in the future we might look at that.

Read more: Simon Warburton on the Speed Triple R - Interviews - Visordown

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-12, 08:22   #2
GuiltySparc

What would be the point of replacing the 675 with an 800 in the street? I feel like the 675 is pretty spot on at the moment.

Old 01-26-12, 11:14   #3
MacaveliMC

Ya dude, the 675 is sweet, no need for an 800.

Maybe put some of that anti-gyro counter-rotating crankshaft junk in there though, like on the F3, that would be cool.

"I actually just have my throttle cable pulled so its
wide open even when i start the bike. balls to the
wall is how i live, screw stoplights and slow people."
- TwoWheeledWonder

Old 01-28-12, 19:18   #4
Logans08Daytona675

I think a Torque Monster 800 in the Speed Triple would be bad ass! Don't think it would work but would very cool! Would love to have something a little bit bigger than the Street but not quite as bulky as the Speed... When I test rode the Speed Triple I totally forgot about the size and weight. When the front wheel is in the air every time it's addicting. Love how the street triple begs to be tossed around like a stripper on a poll!

28,000 miles and counting

Old 02-01-12, 13:46   #5
SquireSCA

I think a Daytona 800 would be ideal for the street. The 675 is getting a little long in the tooth. It gives up 10hp to the Ducati 848 and 20hp to the GSX-R750. And next year when the Ducati 849 drops and is based on the mind-blowing Panegale 1199, the ante will be upped substantially.

It has had a few mild refreshes over the years, but the bike has been around for 6 years now. It's time for something new.

Old 02-01-12, 13:58   #6
coelacanth

For this light and quick Street Triple / Daytona 675 setup, I can't see 800cc engine doing any good that's worth the size/weight increase. If Triumph determines the Ducati Monster approach would be beneficial for marketing stand point, this could happen, but I don't see a point of doing this from practicality stand point. I'd buy 675 again over 800.

And 1050 Speed Triple is a monstrous machine already. I don't think I can handle 1200cc version. :p

Old 02-01-12, 14:07   #7
SquireSCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by coelacanth View Post
For this light and quick Street Triple / Daytona 675 setup, I can't see 800cc engine doing any good that's worth the size/weight increase. If Triumph determines the Ducati Monster approach would be beneficial for marketing stand point, this could happen, but I don't see a point of doing this from practicality stand point. I'd buy 675 again over 800.

And 1050 Speed Triple is a monstrous machine already. I don't think I can handle 1200cc version. :p
Why not? Ducat Streetfighter with a slipon makes 145+ hp at the wheel. The latest Aprilia Tuono based on the RS4V makes more.

What's a stop Speed Triple 1050 make? 120hp or so? Maybe with some exhaust and tuning you might hit almost 130hp?

Look at the latest literbikes from Japan and Germany. Most of them 160hp+ at the wheel.

So I don't see how a larger Daytona or Speed Triple would be "too much" power when most of the competition is already way ahead of that, and has been.

Now, I can see if you feel you don't need that for the street, but like I was saying, the current 600's are catching up in power. The Ducati 848 EVO already makes more power and the 849 model next year is going to be a giant leap forward. The GSX-R750 already has a 20hp advantage, etc...

So for a streetbike, I think that bumping up a bit in the motor department wouldn't be a bad thing. Having that true middle ground between a supersport and a literbike is ideal for the street. Just because it carries amazing corner speed on the track, doesn't mean it keeps up on the street. The Daytona is fast, but I dunno, I like the extra PUNCH from the 848 and Gixxer 750, having owned both bikes...

Old 02-01-12, 15:12   #8
Neanderthal

A few years back, there was a horsepower war that gave us the Busa and ZX14, both bikes could nail 200 mph on the street with little or no modification. The manufacturers agreed to voluntarily electronically "limit" them to 185 mph (something near that). Insurance companies and government agencies were content with that pre-emptive measure and it's stood the test of time. Now with the latest liter bikes like the BMW and others, and the 600 class becoming more and more just a street-legal full-on race machine, the industry is flirting yet again to be slapped by the governments and insurance industries around the world.

My point - these escalating horsepower wars will come back and bite the consumers in the ass. The bikes make way more power than sanely useful, it's time for the manufacturers to devote their engineering expertise into making the bikes safer and more affordable. Let me ask you this. Would you rather see an 800cc Daytona that can go 15 mph faster than the 675 version, and cost $1000 more, or be able to replace your instrument cluster for $200 instead of $1,000?

Old 02-01-12, 15:15   #9
SquireSCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
A few years back, there was a horsepower war that gave us the Busa and ZX14, both bikes could nail 200 mph on the street with little or no modification. The manufacturers agreed to voluntarily electronically "limit" them to 185 mph (something near that). Insurance companies and government agencies were content with that pre-emptive measure and it's stood the test of time. Now with the latest liter bikes like the BMW and others, and the 600 class becoming more and more just a street-legal full-on race machine, the industry is flirting yet again to be slapped by the governments and insurance industries around the world.

My point - these escalating horsepower wars will come back and bite the consumers in the ass. The bikes make way more power than sanely useful, it's time for the manufacturers to devote their engineering expertise into making the bikes safer and more affordable. Let me ask you this. Would you rather see an 800cc Daytona that can go 15 mph faster than the 675 version, and cost $1000 more, or be able to replace your instrument cluster for $200 instead of $1,000?
It is not about "faster". It is about acceleration and power. Not having to downshift, etc...

I don't care if a bike does 160mph versus 150. I care about how it accelerations, how effortless it is, how smooth, etc...

I would rather have the Daytona 800 for $1000 more, no doubt about it!

And as for having a $200 instrument cluster, that will never happen regardless of what power a bike makes. As labor costs, taxes, materials costs and everything else goes up, so too will the costs of the parts and finished product. Don't think for a second that if the government stepped in and set a HP or MPH limit, that these bikes would suddenly become much cheaper. Not in a million years.

They would instead spend money on making the bike lighter, making it handle better, etc...

Look at MotoGP. They decided to make them use smaller bikes in the hopes that the bikes would be cheaper, faster and safer. Result?

Old 02-01-12, 15:16   #10
MacaveliMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
Let me ask you this. Would you rather see an 800cc Daytona that can go 15 mph faster than the 675 version, and cost $1000 more, or be able to replace your instrument cluster for $200 instead of $1,000?
Well, it all depends how much faster it gets to that 15 mph faster....

....but yes, my answer is yes!

"I actually just have my throttle cable pulled so its
wide open even when i start the bike. balls to the
wall is how i live, screw stoplights and slow people."
- TwoWheeledWonder

Sponsored Links
Advertisement