Building my own trackbike - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Track Days

Track Days Track days and other non-racing related track events

Old 12-17-11, 20:11   #1
Willy Wonka

Send a message via MSN to Willy Wonka
Default Building my own trackbike

Hi all

I'm building my street 675 into a track bike. This season I did my first trackday at Zolder (Belgium) and damn it is addicting. So I did another trackday but that day didn't took long couldn't ride for 6 months because of a broken wrist and finger. So no more trackdays for 2011...

The fun of street riding is almost gone and I was thinking about selling my 675 and get a track bike. But I really like my 675 and sometimes I still ride on the streets. I only ride in Germany because of the nice roads, riding in the Netherlands just sucks. So I decided to keep my 675 and build into a "cheap" trackbike.

I made a list of things to do for the next season so I have a nice bike to ride on the track

This is the victim. A stock 2008 Daytona 675.

After I crashed the bike at the track, I took everything apart and gave it a service. New K&N oil filter and some Motul 300V engine oil (sweet nectar of the gods what does that oil smell good). Still need to replace the coolant but I will do that after I placed the new coolant overflow bottle. Checked the valve clearance and removed/disabled the exup valve. Because adjusting the "old" chain was impossible (former owner probably didn't know how to service a chain) I have put a new DID chain set on the bike. Also the suspension springs got replaced for some Wilbers springs and the bike is adjusted and serviced by my local suspension tuner. I already have bought a set of damaged track fairing, that I need to repair.... again....sanding for the win and give it a repaint. And last but not least, a set of fresh Pirelli's.

Because I'm a beginner I'm not going to spend hundreds of euro's/dollars/whatever on a expensive exhaust system and other pimp parts that will give me maybe 5Hp more. The bike is still allot faster then me. I can better spend the money on crash protection, small suspension tweaks, replacement parts in case of a crash, trackdays and uuuuh....moar!! trackdays. And of course some free mods (see sig)

This is it for today. Still waiting for some parts (clipons, rearset etc) will keep you updated

Last edited by Willy Wonka; 12-17-11 at 21:04.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-11, 20:40   #2
415TRIUMPH

sweet, going to follow your progress

Old 12-17-11, 20:59   #3
bubbleboys
Crashing one corner at a time!

Same, I just turned my 675 into a dedicated track bike.

I'm holding off on any mods on account of trackdays being expensive enough as they are.

I'm saving up for a full suspension setup by the local suspension guy.

Old 12-17-11, 21:03   #4
tt600freak

I'm subscribing!

I'll be in Germany in September, let me know if you want to hit up the track. I can meet up with you anywhere.

Old 12-18-11, 10:05   #5
Willy Wonka

Yesterday I removed the Intake Flapper. Also a good reason to remove the stock coolant overflow bottle. I will replace it with another bottle. Last trackdays all the coolant was thrown out of the cap. I will replace the cap also, I think the cap can't handle the pressure so I need to order a new one. I also need to clean the engine a bit. Allot of salt damage I think.

I really hated the stock throttle tube. You need to twist it too much for full throttle. Ordered a 1050 Throttle Tube from ebay for 15$, love this mod Here you can see the difference between stock 675 tube (left) and the 1050 tube (right). The Yamaha R1 tube also fits and it is even bigger. Didn't tried that one because the 1050 is fine for me.

My engine covers got some scratches on it. Ordered a set of carbon/kevlar engine covers. I really like the looks of it, better then stock and gives some protection in case of a crash (how the hell could Triumph put the graphite color rims/engine covers on the bike )

Ordered new brake pads and some brake oil. I'm using EBC HH pads now (are these the stock pads?). I really like the pads but I want to try something new so I got the Brembo sinter pads for the front brakes. I hope they are better then the HH pads, otherwise I will replace them. Rear brake is still EBC HH, don't use the rear that often.

I was searching for used parts for my 675 and came across some stock brake discs. They are only used for a couple miles on the track. I know these aren't the best stock brake discs but they will do fine for me. I don't know how hard they wear on the track. Could buy them for a ridiculous low price. The same person was selling a Valtermoto 3.5 reverse shifting rearset. There was a Dynojet Quickshifter included with the rearset. Even a stock rearset was more expensive then this. I'm going to sell the Quickshifter because I don't have a PowerCommander. Made some pictures of the rearset, but I need to order a new shift rod because the Quickshifter is 5,5CM long and the rod is too short now. I will make some new pics when the parts arrived and installed properly.

Someone got experience with full tank covers? I want to put a cover over my tank so I wont get more scratches on it in case of a light crash.
Next week I'm going to repair the fairings and wait for the new parts.

Last edited by Willy Wonka; 12-18-11 at 10:18.

Old 12-18-11, 10:09   #6
Willy Wonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt600freak View Post
I'm subscribing!

I'll be in Germany in September, let me know if you want to hit up the track. I can meet up with you anywhere.
Hey thanks
I'm not very familiar with the tracks in Germany. Except the Nordschleife/Nurburgring that's +/- 2,5h from where I live. We visit that place allot when we ride on the street.

Old 12-18-11, 12:52   #7
tt600freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka View Post
Hey thanks
I'm not very familiar with the tracks in Germany. Except the Nordschleife/Nurburgring that's +/- 2,5h from where I live. We visit that place allot when we ride on the street.
Even still, knowing someone who knows the roads would be helpful

Old 12-18-11, 13:16   #8
Willy Wonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt600freak View Post
Even still, knowing someone who knows the roads would be helpful
Where in Germany do you go?

Old 12-18-11, 13:40   #9
Willy Wonka

The build in Triumph laptimer is not very useful (need to push a button each lap). I have found a cheap way to use my phone as GPS laptimer/logger. There is a piece of software (Racechrono) that lets you add tracks, record sessions, log speed etc. You can also install a OBDII bluetooth to log speed, rpm, temperatures etc. Need to do some research which devices will work and how good the signal is. I will be testing this software this week. If it works good, I'm going to make a bracket for the rear fairing.

Old 12-18-11, 14:03   #10
BradManUWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Wonka View Post
So I decided to keep my 675 and build into a "cheap" trackbike.
These words don't mesh in the same sentence, lol. Because 675s aren't as common as the Jap bikes, finding parts can get tough and pricey.
BradManUWF's Youtube Channel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement