Custom Penske 8983 & 8987 Group Buy for Daytona 675 and Street Triple! v.2! - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Marketplace forums > Group Buys

Group Buys All the Group Buys you could want to spruce up your 675....and then some.

Old 09-18-11, 18:41   #1
birdofprey

Default Custom Penske 8983 & 8987 Group Buy for Daytona 675 and Street Triple! v.2!

Hey everyone, I was able to talk to Mike and gather enough interest to run another Penske group buy. This will follow the same format as the first group buy.

Last season I had Mike from MetricDevilMoto.com install and tune a Penske 8983 Double Clicker rear shock on my bike. I cannot describe how much of a difference this made in the comfort and level of feel I got out of my bike, as well as lap times. It is literally a night and day difference over what our bikes come with stock. My bike is a stock 675 apart from a 20mm Penske fork kit and basic 8983 double clicker (both built and tuned by Mike), and this year I was able to drop my lap times at NJMP to a 1:29.1, podium in 12 races and end up top 3 in multiple regional and track championships.

Mike does all of the suspension work for TPM (www.teampromotion.com) trackdays and has an extensive history of working on Daytona 675's, as well as working with and fielding multiple AMA, WERA and CCS level riders. If some of you will recall the S-Works team that fielded an AMA Formula Extreme Daytona 675 in 2008 (ridden by Share Narbonne as well as, at one point, Dane Westby), Mike worked with them that season. This year MetricDevilMoto Racing also fielded a Daytona 200 rider and has already taken multiple podiums at club races.

Mike has now offered to do a group buy on these shocks for 675.net due to multiple referrals from our site. Valving, spring rates and ride height will come set up on each shock as it per your specific application (please be sure to send the appropriate information as outline below). All shocks also come with free tuning and track side consultation at any TPM track day as well as the NJMP CCS rounds!

So, onward with the details:

PENSKE 8983 DOUBLE CLICKER WITH REMOTE RESERVIOR
The 8983 Series double adjustable shock absorber offers more adjustability over a wide range to the serious racer. From street riding to road racing, the 8983 is guaranteed to improve your bikes handling. The perfect combination of value and performance for most track day riders and club racers.

Complete custom shock built for your application, weight and skill level
Available with remote or piggyback style reservoir
Ride height and preload adjustable
16-20 clicks of compression adjustment
36 clicks of rebound adjustment
Spring included, matched to your weight

Shock add ons (you MUST specify these if you want them as they will cost extra):

PENSKE PRELOAD COLLAR BEARING KIT
This highly recommended upgrade adds makes preload adjustments substantially easier. The kit consists of a flat radial roller bearing and a stainless steel shim. The bearing goes between the new shim and your stock steel shim like a sandwich. This takes away a great deal of the friction between the spring and the preload collar. This configuration requires much less effort to move the preload collar and makes preload adjustments and spring swaps much faster and easier.

TOP OUT SPRING KIT
An internal top out spring controls the transition from compression to full extension when a shock would normally top out, which helps eliminate rear wheel hop on corner entry, keeping the rear wheel planted and in line.

PIGGY BACK RESERVOIR
A piggyback is NOT recommended for the D675 because of the undertail exhaust. Having a remote reservoir does two things: one, it allows the fluid some time to cool as it passes through the remote line and two, it moves the reservoir away from the exhaust (which can cause shocks to fade and shorten the service life). For those reasons, a remote res is recommended. However if you insist on a piggyback, that can be accommodated at an additional cost.

Minimum: There is no minimum requirement at this time to get in on this deal, however this is only running for 1.5 months until the end of October!

Pricing: At this point Mike has requested pricing be sent per PM, so please PM me for pricing (be sure to indicate any extras you want such as the top out spring or preload bearing).

Information Needed: Please send your
  • Weight, motorcycle application details (track-only? mixed street/track? street only?)
  • What year Daytona or Street Triple you have?
  • What brand tires your are using?

The more information the better; these shocks will be purpose-built for your bike and your riding style, all the way down to adjusting for differences between tire manufacturers.

Payment: Payments can be done by personal check, money order or Paypal. If you are local, I can work with you, but prefer Paypal. Please be sure to send +3% to cover Paypal fees.
Turn Around: Orders will be placed throughout September and October with the Group Buy ending on October 31st. Depending on the number of shocks ordered, shocks will be shipped out 2-4 weeks after October 31st.

Shipping: Shocks will be shipped directly to you unless other arrangements are made. All orders will ship via FedEx Ground.

Feel free to post up or send me any questions you might have, this is an awesome opportunity to get one of the best shocks on the market, custom built and tuned by one of the best in the industry.
CCS Ex #787
MetricDevilMoto.com - Penske Racing - Full Spectrum Batteries - Team Pro Motion - Heroic Racing - Pirelli Tires

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-11, 19:24   #2
Smoke

Specs for the 8987 please ?

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Old 09-19-11, 01:19   #3
rockstarartist

Wow. I was planning on purchasing a shock and fork combination in preparation to hit the track next year. Very serendipitous.

PM sent. I was looking at Elka, and RaceTech also. Can you give me an honest opinion(if you can and as best you can, I know that you will be biased... I just started me research.)

Old 09-19-11, 01:26   #4
Jstu202
John the Jersey Admin

Congratulations on those finishes Ben. These group buys are beginning to get harder to pass up!

CCS Expert # 900 STT - Advanced TPM - Advanced NESBA - Advanced TTD - Advanced
Spammer Kill Count - 215 "Piranha Gun! Oh Yeaaa!!"
Ridersdiscount
- BridgewaterAcura - VIP Honda
"Death smiles at us all, All a man can do is smile back."

Old 09-19-11, 11:52   #5
RedSands

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarartist View Post
Wow. I was planning on purchasing a shock and fork combination in preparation to hit the track next year. Very serendipitous.

PM sent. I was looking at Elka, and RaceTech also. Can you give me an honest opinion(if you can and as best you can, I know that you will be biased... I just started me research.)

From what I've read and heard, Elka's shock isn't much better then stock. I know a couple of coaches/racers who went from the Elka shock to the Penske and loved it.

Racetech makes good stuff, but they haven't done the same amount of R and D that Penske has and they don't have anywhere near the support that Penske offers.
CCS EX #202
MetricDevilMoto.com - Trackside Parts Club - Penske Racing - Team Promotion - DesignStar3 - Pirelli - Full Spectrum Batteries - Heroic Racing

Old 09-19-11, 14:03   #6
MacBandit

In my opinion Penske is on par or even better then most Ohlins. Racetech is like getting a modified stock shock it's good but not great. Elka also makes an awesome shock if you get the right ones but if Ohlins and Penske are a 10 out of 10 Elka is an 8 or 9.

Old 09-19-11, 14:15   #7
birdofprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarartist View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstu202 View Post
Congratulations on those finishes Ben. These group buys are beginning to get harder to pass up!
Thanks Jon! Let me know if you want pricing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSands View Post
From what I've read and heard, Elka's shock isn't much better then stock. I know a couple of coaches/racers who went from the Elka shock to the Penske and loved it.

Racetech makes good stuff, but they haven't done the same amount of R and D that Penske has and they don't have anywhere near the support that Penske offers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
In my opinion Penske is on par or even better then most Ohlins. Racetech is like getting a modified stock shock it's good but not great. Elka also makes an awesome shock if you get the right ones but if Ohlins and Penske are a 10 out of 10 Elka is an 8 or 9.
I agree with you both. Penske has already proved that their shocks can outperform the Ohlins counterparts in AMA Superbike. I am excited to see the two companies battle it out in upcoming years-that means better technology and R&D for everyone. I know of people that have had issues with Elka's in the latter parts of a race-so while they might hold up better than a stocker, they might also not be going the distance.
CCS Ex #787
MetricDevilMoto.com - Penske Racing - Full Spectrum Batteries - Team Pro Motion - Heroic Racing - Pirelli Tires

Old 09-19-11, 22:24   #8
lawdog

well. price for both shocks with a top out spring kit.

Old 09-20-11, 12:16   #9
peeweesp

i got a double clicker on the last group buy and love it. The price made it even better.

I am probably gonna get the penske for internals next. might as well at this point my forks need to be checked out anyway.

Old 09-20-11, 13:57   #10
zerozero

Gotta add that I'm pretty happy about this quality product being made in the USA! Many thanks to Ben for making this happen!

07' Triumph Daytona 675 (rebuilt! )
07' Ducati GT1000

Sponsored Links
Advertisement