Givi V46 Monokey Hard Case Review - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Riding Gear

Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

Old 09-05-11, 21:19   #1
mmdb

Talking Givi V46 Monokey Hard Case Review

Thought I'd write a review since it's labor day and I don't have anything better to do I don't leave reviews often unless I think it's an utterly terrible product that I should warn people about, or a product that has stood out above all else. In this case (hah case!), this is a positive review for the GIVI case for the Street Triple.

The case is very well made and very well through out, with one exception (i'll get to that later). The case is very sturdy and made of, what feels to be, high quality components. The locking mechanism is very simple to use. Turn the key, hit a button and open the lid. You can do everything with your gloves on. The mono-key system is very versatile. The design of the mono key system allows you to insert the key, press of a button and wa-lah. The case comes out smoothly, and off to your hotel room, camp site, store, etc - doesn't get simpler than that.

The interior space is supple to store a helmet and/or jacket with ease. The size of the case itself was described by my friends as "massive". Though, I do not feel that it hinders the way my bike handles, nor does it give me issues when I check my rear view. A HUGE plus of it is that my friend says, "With that case you have a presence of a car!", or in other words because the case is "huge" the visibility is much greater. Higher visibility = More safe = much much worth it.

Now the negative part I mentioned. When installed, the lower panel that the case mounts to blocks the rear stop light to a great amount. This can be circumvented by adding a GIVI LED set for the case is required. I've added leds that function as both a stop light and turn signal. This added 10x visibility at night and during the day. I HIGHLY recommend it. There's plenty setups out there if you do a search on youtube to get an idea.

Anyway, post any questions if you have 'em. I wrote this review in 10 min so I'm bound to miss something which I'll add later.

Hope I've helped someone that's interested in using the ST3 as a long distance bike. I've taken it on a 1k mile road trip with no issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-11, 21:28   #2
Aviator
BOTM Winner

Nice write up, glad to hear that it is working for you. Now, figure out how to mount it on a Daytona. Go..I'm waiting.

Also, my apologies, but your rendition of "voila" made me laugh.

Old 09-05-11, 22:07   #3
mmdb

oh haha! Yeah... umm... that's how it's spelled in spanish... j/k i lie

I sat on a Daytona and immediately my joints started hurting!

Old 09-07-11, 01:17   #4
way2faded

Nice review. I had the matching side cases on my 04 vfr 800. The were tough built well and stood up to some serious punishment. The best part was that they were half the price of getting factory locking luggage.

Old 09-08-11, 02:37   #5
mmdb

^ Yeah I feel mine will definitely hold up through the years. Very happy with the quality and finish of the case for sure. Everywhere I go I stick my gloves, helmet and jacket in there. Now I have my shoes, and random other stuff in there haha... good stuff. Highly recommended!

Old 09-18-11, 04:17   #6
newsun

Please do tell more about the additional wiring you did. Including what the additional pieces you had to buy in addition to the mounting piece and luggage itself.

Also interested in how secure you feel leaving things in it. I'd like to be comfortable with leaving a my riding gear in it while at a show or other multi-hour ordeal.

I've been wanting a setup like this for a while now to be able to transport some stuff and a change of clothes for going to an event or what not.

Plus where did you get everything for the setup?

Old 10-09-11, 15:56   #7
mkasdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
Thought I'd write a review since it's labor day and I don't have anything better to do I don't leave reviews often unless I think it's an utterly terrible product that I should warn people about, or a product that has stood out above all else. In this case (hah case!), this is a positive review for the GIVI case for the Street Triple.

The case is very well made and very well through out, with one exception (i'll get to that later). The case is very sturdy and made of, what feels to be, high quality components. The locking mechanism is very simple to use. Turn the key, hit a button and open the lid. You can do everything with your gloves on. The mono-key system is very versatile. The design of the mono key system allows you to insert the key, press of a button and wa-lah. The case comes out smoothly, and off to your hotel room, camp site, store, etc - doesn't get simpler than that.

The interior space is supple to store a helmet and/or jacket with ease. The size of the case itself was described by my friends as "massive". Though, I do not feel that it hinders the way my bike handles, nor does it give me issues when I check my rear view. A HUGE plus of it is that my friend says, "With that case you have a presence of a car!", or in other words because the case is "huge" the visibility is much greater. Higher visibility = More safe = much much worth it.

Now the negative part I mentioned. When installed, the lower panel that the case mounts to blocks the rear stop light to a great amount. This can be circumvented by adding a GIVI LED set for the case is required. I've added leds that function as both a stop light and turn signal. This added 10x visibility at night and during the day. I HIGHLY recommend it. There's plenty setups out there if you do a search on youtube to get an idea.

Anyway, post any questions if you have 'em. I wrote this review in 10 min so I'm bound to miss something which I'll add later.

Hope I've helped someone that's interested in using the ST3 as a long distance bike. I've taken it on a 1k mile road trip with no issues.

when the case is off and the Givi Toprack is still on does it make the bike Fugly. I have a e370 39 liter mono lock case that i was planning on installing. it is big enough but not too big.

Old 10-10-11, 02:35   #8
mmdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsun View Post
Please do tell more about the additional wiring you did. Including what the additional pieces you had to buy in addition to the mounting piece and luggage itself.

Also interested in how secure you feel leaving things in it. I'd like to be comfortable with leaving a my riding gear in it while at a show or other multi-hour ordeal.

I've been wanting a setup like this for a while now to be able to transport some stuff and a change of clothes for going to an event or what not.

Plus where did you get everything for the setup?
If you do a search for "AdMore - Givi V46 Top Case LED Run, Brake, Turn Signal Lights" you can find the kit is offered several places. I forget where I bought mine, but that's the kit I got (bad memory). It definitely adds much, much more visibility and I highly recommend it for safety. The wiring information is included in the kit. The wire taps (I forget the name for the moment) is very simple and straight forward. I can post pictures of them if anyone needs it. I used a 12 volt meter to figure out which wires were the turn signals, brake lights, etc. But my install was very clean and the quick release for the wiring for the turn signals and brake lights is a really nice touch.

I store my helmet and jacket in the case and I haven't had any issues thus far. The Givi case requires the supplied key to locked the lid or prevent the kit from being removed from the bike. The building in latch is pretty beefy. A thief will really need to do something drastic to get the case removed, and it won't be discrete in my opinion.

Old 10-10-11, 02:37   #9
mmdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkasdin View Post
when the case is off and the Givi Toprack is still on does it make the bike Fugly. I have a e370 39 liter mono lock case that i was planning on installing. it is big enough but not too big.
I agree. With the case off the toprack is ugly. It also blocks the rear brake light as well which I really don't like. The additional lights for the GIVI case itself is almost necessary in my opinion. For me, the unit has an been an integrated piece with the bike ( a negative for the bike's looks, but a huge positive for its functionality and safety ).

Old 11-10-11, 02:25   #10
mkasdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
I agree. With the case off the toprack is ugly. It also blocks the rear brake light as well which I really don't like. The additional lights for the GIVI case itself is almost necessary in my opinion. For me, the unit has an been an integrated piece with the bike ( a negative for the bike's looks, but a huge positive for its functionality and safety ).
Rizoma makes led turn signals. I think they are super bright? I have also seen mods for wiring in the reflectors as well. I have the givi e370 39 liter mono lock case and I really liked it on my WR250R. I do like the naked look of the st3 but the givi is just way too practical. Plus I already own it. To answer the other persons question. I am more concerned about having the whole bike stolen, not just my helmet gloves and jacket. I normally see about 20% of riders leave their helmets on their bikes and ten percent leave jackets on the bike as well. Regardless, if you are in a sketchy neighborhood someone can break into the case with a hammer and a screwdriver. But out of sight is out of mind.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement