Triumph 675 Forums banner

HWY 1!!!! Huntington Beach to Sacramento

9K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Logans08Daytona675 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I have done a major trip of any kind on the bike. The last trip was was pretty short compared to my new one. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I was laid off from ASV Inventions due to lack of funding for my positions <----- Short Story ----Company is on hard times :whistle:

I have been itching to go home and see my family seeing I haven't seen my mom in months and coming from a close family that feels like to long. Anyways between the cost of air fair and driving my 91 Jeep Cherokee, the thought of taking a few days to get home and riding my motorcycle just seems so logical. :laugh:

My sister just came down to visit for a few days and when she drove back she took a suitcase and my camping equipment for a family vacation in July which will lighten the load.

I am planning on taking two days to get there which I know for some of you that is too long but I have no schedule and want to enjoy the ride and also not burn myself out. My tires have plenty of meat on them and I am planning on doing an oil change since I am around the 3500 mark between changes. I am going to look over the chain again to make sure the tension is correct and I have plenty of brake pad left.. .

Looking for feedback on what I should bring and also make sure I check on the bike before I leave.

( I will have my Triumph Panniers, Core-Tech Duffle bag on passenger seat and possibly my tank bag)

http://goo.gl/maps/sQav Google Map.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like it is time for an epic road trip!

My dad came up from Phoenix in March of last year and this is part of the route we did (Monterey and north to Sacramento). These are some of the most epic roads in Nor Cal to ride.
Route option 1
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=To:+Penrod+Way+%4038.647243,-121.14145&daddr=37.7865,-121.30456+to:37.473657,-121.2356853+to:37.185469,-121.985446+to:37.1618372,-121.9834289+to:37.1512112,-121.9797659+to:37.05376,-121.93947+to:36.9277285,-121.8026105+to:36.85677,-121.7549+to:36.707438,-121.79901+to:36.40256,-121.58678+to:35.98867,-121.49415+to:34.7313,-120.23608+to:34.12045,-119.08835+to:33.963965,-118.422814+to:33.8215,-118.38536+to:From:+7232+Heil+Ave,+Huntington+Beach,+CA+92647+%4033.722849,-118.002478&geocode=Fcu1TQIdNofH-A%3BFYSTQAIdEArF-CmxIMT3yz-QgDHc6qJw6X_l1g%3BFXnNOwIdGxfG-Ck_fATLoLWRgDGnPNR0oDlv8w%3BFb1nNwIdWqa6-CmVqoG8JDaOgDG0zJg58ouWtw%3BFW0LNwIdPK66-CldD5TO3DeOgDFzdDBh1GlXVA%3BFevhNgIdi7y6-Cn1pFA_7zeOgDEDSl2z7bhaug%3BFUBlNQId8lm7-Cm1YYOM3T6OgDGaMRdgd4po2w%3BFfB4MwIdjnC9-Cn11rM0ehqOgDG5UW2uEYXE5Q%3BFcJjMgId7Cq--CktV0PhVwSOgDFQPxYn-c1Uow%3BFW4cMAIdnn69-Ckh0fYROP2NgDE2OGP-FTvJiw%3BFYB1KwIdpLvA-CmZyGM6xXWSgDHInMGFA5KjLQ%3BFb4kJQIdeiXC-ClZAZQrs5uSgDFWScXl04ZCaA%3BFST1EQId0FfV-Cl3S0FepgbsgDEte-IPtfk_fQ%3BFQKjCAIdItvm-CnzqvPTMkbogDHJxpvO_3aBeg%3BFb0_BgId4gLx-Ck7Evh1k7DCgDExgp8XmHZ94A%3BFTwTBAIdMJXx-CkBacZmUUvdgDHiVSv8duSOgw%3BFeGRAgId0mz3-A&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15&sll=37.398528,-121.569901&sspn=0.489304,1.055374&ie=UTF8&ll=37.952319,-121.46965&spn=0.485665,1.055374&z=11

Route option 2
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou....207972,-121.222458&spn=0.48397,1.055374&z=11

When your on your way up, hit me up, I live in Elk Grove. Also, while you are at your destination, head north to Salmon Falls, Georgetown, Wentworth. Some great riding in the foothills.

#4 · (Edited)
Sick!!!! Nelson you made my day!!!! :thumbup:

decipral ------ Yeah I am really excited I am planning to camp somewhere in the Big Sur Area. Also I lived in Folsom for 3 years and have ridden on all those roads and you have no idea how excited I am to ride them again!!!

I will definitely hit you up my buddy Bryan just got hired on as a service rider for the new Triumph Dealer in Elk Grove.!!!! :notworthy::bowdown: So Jealous

PM ME your Number

Also, does anyone have any ideas on what I should pack for a tool kit or anything else?

#5 ·
Also, does anyone have any ideas on what I should pack for a tool kit or anything else?
CC:whistle: Seriously, tire plug kit and extra CO2 cartridges.

If you get off the 101 in Santa Barbara and get on 154 it's a bit of a shortcut and you get to ride some twisties. If you want to take your time you might stop for the night in Cambria, get up early, and get on Highway 1 before the RV drivers clog it. Have breakfast in Big Sur or Carmel.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 · (Edited)
Picked up a few things.
1. Tire repair kit from Cycle Gear. 60$ Ouch!
2. Moto Jumper Cables. $18.00
3. Balaclava and Glove liners that are wind proof and on clearance $13.00
REI
1: Padded Bike Shorts that should make my balls and ass happy! $50
2. Super breathable shirt that is long sleeve $34.00
Best Buy
1: 8GB SD Memory Card! $16.00 with tax! I thought I was stealing it for that price. I can now take 3000 photos with a 7.1 mega pixel camera

#16 ·
I just did that drive from Grass Valley, to San Fran, to Santa Cruz, route 1 to 101 in san luis obispo then all the way to L.A., but in a car, it was sick, Bixby Bridge is so f*&%(ing sick. The majority of bikes I saw out there were bmw 1200's.
The bridge is in Big Sur, near Monterey.

#17 ·
I just did the ride from Huntington Beach -> 405N -> 101W and got onto PCH from Santa Barbra up to Monterey (too much traffic to go up anymore). I then took the 68 back to the 101N and then off to SF Union Square. The best part was Big Sur area. It was by far the most scenic and fun road to ride on. Highly recommended!

#20 ·
Thanks Guys it was an Epic trip and sorry for taking to long to follow up on comments. The first day I rode from Huntington Beach via the 405 to the 10 (santa monica) then made my way over to HWY 1. From Hwy 1 I rode this to the Santa Monica Cutoff that routes you over to the 101 North. The 101 sucked and it was hot as hell but it was only 100 miles or so to my buddies place in San Louis Obispo. I stayed the night there since that was over 200 miles from HB which was a good size ride for one day. The next morning I got up early about 9:30 lol and made my way to HWY 1! It was a chilly morning start on the Coast but I beat a ton of traffic and didn't have to speed a lot which was nice because that part of hwy 1 is littered with cops. Once I got around a ton of slow ass cars and RV's I was able to start making good time. But in all honesty I didn't leave early enough. I made it to Big Sur rather quickly but getting through took some time since I stopped a lot to take pics. Taking pics off the bike adds so much extra time and I didn't have a place to sleep so I had to haul ass to Sacramento. Once I made it to Monterey and over to Salinas it got FU^^**** HOTT!! It was from 65-70 to 105!!!!!!!! I was boiling in my gear and thank god I had my Camelback and drank a ton of Gatorade . From there I took the 152 East and made my way over to Hwy 99 and rode that all the way to Sacramento. Hwy 99 felt like forever and it was bloody hot which didn't help. I was happy to get off the bike. I was really sore the next day mainly my ass but I was working out a lot doing lots of push-ups and shoulder exercises which really helped.

THE RIDE HOME WAS EVEN MORE FUN!!! OH MAN I TOOK HWY 16 to HWY 49 all the way down to the 152. HWY 49 was empty and brand new pavement and the best twisties hands down!

My awesome 50$ Hotel for night. The owner of this place was really nice and only takes cash. I will try and get the Yelp info for the place. I did lock up my bike to the pole and removed everything from my bike but had no issues.

The next morning I loaded up and grab a bite at Black Bear Diner! This place is bomb.

Yeah that was good! Plus lots of good carbs for what would be a very long ride down the coast.

Bike loaded up and ready to head to the coast.

I believe this is part of hwy 152 towards the coast. I stopped and rode this section 3 times because the pavement was amazing and the trees along with the sound of my bike was epic! Made my pants get tight :)

Will continue this later! If you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM and we can chat

#22 ·
I did that ride once and it was miserable. I did it all wrong though. It was a whirlwind last minute trip that I did with my buddy who was on a Busa. Made it from HB to Lodi in 10.5 hours non stop. We didn't leave HB until about 1:00 pm so a lot of it was riding in the dark and I made the huge mistake of wearing a back pack (and carried an extra helmet the entire way) and had no saddle bags.

Ya, it was terrible. I would really like to do it again the right way and make all the stops, stay in hotels, etc.

#26 ·
I talked my wife into doing a similar trip this winter: San Diego to San Francisco in one week. Just want to get away this winter, for last year was pretty brutal in NJ.

Plan was to buy a used BMW in SanDiego then sell it in San Francisco. Even if I loose $1000, it's still cheaper than renting one!

My question is what to expect weather wise on a trip like this. I've been to LA in February, and once the sun came up, it was beautiful (mid to high 60s). Also been to San Francisco in January and that was high 50s as well. Actually warmer than the time I was there in August!. Yea, I know that's freezing for you California folks, but for us in February, that's a heat wave!

Not too worried about rain, but obviously mud slides are a concern. Don't care about cops, wife is good at smacking me in back of the helmet.:laugh: Thinking of stooping in LA, Santa Barbra, two nights in Big Sur (do some hiking), Monterrey, then off the SFO.

Thoughts? How much better would March be vs. February? I don't think fog will be an issue, will it?

Will have GPS, and plan to do as much of Highway 1 as possible. No pressure to get home either :nod:

#27 ·
Alright this is my take on this and I would personally wait till later in the year only because if I was going to take a vacation and want to truly enjoy it cause it's gonna be expensive. I would want want the best possible weather so that way I could really enjoy the coast. First off HWY 1 when it's fully fogged in is pretty sketchy: Water in turns, pavement is cold, fog, mist. Also, you loose some of the most amazing views the Cali coast has to offer when the fog rolls in. The farther north you head especially towards the San Louis Obispo and up is where the views are amazing. Past Big Sur is just damn amazing especially when riding through all the big trees. There is really no point in riding HWY 1 if you can't see the ocean so I would try and plan for latest time you can to enjoy the weather along with the views.
- Yes weather might be a high of 60 but figure that when you start riding in the morning it's gonna be around the 40's plus figure in windchill which can drop temps 10 degs or more.
- The colder it gets more gear you have to carry as well as rain gear.
- Yes, most of us here in Cali are pure wusses when it comes to the cold. Northern Cali will drop pretty low esp the mountains will see 10 deg or lower.
On another note I can totally understand your wanting to take a trip somewhere.
Mud Slides will be a issue as the rain picks up but as long as you pay attention to www.caltrans.com website for all the major roads in Cali you should be fine.

You might also want to check out this website: http://www.pashnit.com/ This guy if you join his site gives you tons of places to ride and also does moto tours as well. Great website along with a forum to get info on as well.

If money wasn't really a huge issue I would buy the bike you really want and get it setup for a expo and then ship it to where you want it and ride it. I would then either ship it back or sell it. But shipping within the states really isn't that bad and I would not want to buy a bike in another state that I couldn't outfit myself and do some trail and error runs first. Remember you are not alone and your wife needs to be comfy plus packing will be a jigsaw puzzle of what to bring and what to leave. You might even want to consider shipping clothes out to different locations and picking them up where you might need them. Also I would include shipping labels so you can ship them back. I wouldn't want to lug around hiking gear for a week or more and to be able to have a few changes of clothes.

I would make a list of priorities and go from there-
* Any thoughts to what bike?

Take Pics! PM me if you want to email me or exchange phone numbers and I can give you more details. I have a few contacts in the Southern Cali area and also in San Fran.

Logan

#28 ·
Thanks for the feedback Logan. Much appreciated.

Yea, ideally I'd like to go in may, but we REALLY need some time off ASAP. Missed a vacation last year, and it's really starting to get to us. Tried to sell the mrs on south America, but she doesn't want to do it one week. She doesn't ski and hates the cold (real cd, like 20 degrees) and we don't like Florida beach life. The Cali trip idea went over well, which is hard to get approval ;-)

of the factors you mentioned, the only one the concerns me is fog.
Not that I haven't rode in it, just that it ruins the views.

we taken many bike trips together, a few in Europe. Needless to say, I don't care about bike set up. Just give us a good touring bike with hard bags and well be fine. We've done a trip in Germany with a faulty gps, no maps, no English signs, crappy rental gear, and a BMW with crappy handling. Still, it was one of the best trips in our lives.

I've shipped many bikes, and it ain't cheap. A good size touring bike will be $600 one way coast to coast. I'd rather pick one up and have a dealer sell it at our destination. Rental will be about $1500, and you have to return it to the original destination. Much prefer a one way destination.

So how does the begging of march sound in terms of fog? I realy thought fog was worse in summer, but I guess that's just in sfo.

Oh, we HATE getting stuck with tourists. Thoughts of following an rv on rt1, sounds painful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.