Better Brakes - Finally! - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 04-24-11, 11:51   #1
knox675

Default Better Brakes - Finally!

So, I've been fighting a squishy front brake feel since I bought my '08 (they stopped the bike fine). After trying every bleeding trick in the book (multiple times), I gave up and decided the problem must be in one of the components. My final setup is an Brembo RCS19 master, '06 R6 calipers (cheap on ebay), and custom Spiegler lines. This setup has given me a very firm lever - but not as firm as a full Brembo setup. An added benefit is that the monobloc R6 calipers & fixing are a little lighter than the Nissins. I swapped the master first & even though I liked the adjustability / features, it didn't really help too much. The R6 cals are what helped the most - maybe only b/c they're a better design & easier to bleed, but I was able to get them bled on the first try. (I'm 99% sure the stock calipers had some kind of "issue".) Swapping the calipers is not for the faint of heart - needed to fab spacers and specify the brake lines & fittings. If anyone's interested, I can provide the details / measurements of my setup.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-11, 20:32   #2
knox675

Had someone ask, so here are the details:

Brembo 19 RCS - works fine with the stock clip-ons & stock reservoir. I have vortex clip-ons, so I had to fab a bracket for the reservoir. Used Tygon 2075 (kurveygirl.com) line to connect. Brembo uses a slightly smaller nipple, so you'll have to make sure it's clamped well (I use safety wire).

2006-2007 R6 calipers (ebay) - I'm not an expert on the years. I used '06, but it looks like 07's, and maybe 08-09, are the same. Maybe someone could compare part #'s on bike bandit. Make sure they're R6 and not R6s! You will need to remove the locating bushings (padded vise and vice grips) and find or fabricate shims. Shims are aluminum, 24mm O.D 10.5 mm I.D. and 2.0 to 3.0 mm thick (2.5 mm nominal). Do not go more than 3mm as this will move the pads outside the radius of the rotors. Also do not use steel washers!!! The shims must be aluminum to maintain he strength of the joint. (I believe there is somewhere online that sells shims for this sort of application.) You will also need to purchase 06-07 Yamaha R6 caliper bolts (Triumph bolts will not fit).

Spiegler brake lines (custom):Line 1
Length A in mm: 640
Fitting F1: 002
Fitting F2: 020
Line Color: Smoke
Fitting Color: Black

Line 2
Length A in mm: 690
Fitting F1: 022
Fitting F2: 020
Line Color: Smoke
Fitting Color: Black

You must ask for the the Brembo MC banjo bolt (10x1, I think - they know the size) if you go with the Brembo MC. I measured, then added a couple of cm to my measurements to be safe. Turns out they're a bit too long, so you would be safe reducing the length by about 2 cm (too long is OK, too short on the other hand...) At the MC, line #1 (Fitting 02) goes on top. Line 2 (Fitting 022) has a slight bend to help it get around the fork leg.

Flush the system well w/ cheap DOT 4 especially if you got your calipers off ebay (mine had some really nasty fluid left in them). I refilled with Motul RBF600. Brakes worked very well racing at Nashville w/ the MC set on 18 (20 feels like a rock). Only a very small touch of fade after about 8 to 10 laps of hauling the bike down from 162 mph on the front straight!

Whew - that's it, I think. Pics below:

Last edited by knox675; 04-24-11 at 21:13.

Old 04-25-11, 01:12   #3
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

Motion to sticky this...

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Old 04-25-11, 01:23   #4
Renzr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Motion to sticky this...
X2

Old 04-25-11, 01:24   #5
qweesy

very nice and +1 on sticky how much did you snag the r6 calipers for? what was the total cost to this setup?

"In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."- George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair)

Old 04-25-11, 02:37   #6
ofcounsel
Mod & "Resident Baller"...

Motion to sticky denied: I want to see more effort on things that make the bike go faster. Quit wasting your time on stuff that only make you slow, like brakes.

No go on, get busy thinking about fast stuff before I come over qnd lap you on my SV.

WSMC#83 www.wsmcracing.com
WERA#83 www.wera.com
CVMA #83 www.cvmaracing.com
Sponsored by: www.westcoastgpcycles.com / Pirelli / www.group22.com / Driven

Old 04-25-11, 09:04   #7
tbsgraphics

05'+ R6 sized brake lines works fine...

total price=

ebay calipers with new ferrodo CP211 carbon pads $80 shipped
Master = 165
Lines= 60
remote adjuster = 45
res. cup plus bracket = 18

still being shipped Galfer wave rotor....
BTW ofcounsel, motor out being built so needed these slow down thing-a-ma-jobs.... :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0995.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	22271   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC0997.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	22272  

Old 04-25-11, 09:28   #8
knox675

My cost was a bit higher:

Brembo 19RCS: $300 (Riders Discount - where did u find one for $165???)
Spiegler Lines: $130 (Direct from Spiegler)
Calipers: $50 (ebay)
Caliper bolts: $24 (local dealer)
Tygon: $8 (KurveyGirl)

I reused the C55 pads I already had, and fabricated all the brackets & shims from aluminum alloy sheet I already had laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsgraphics View Post
05'+ R6 sized brake lines works fine...

total price=

ebay calipers with new ferrodo CP211 carbon pads $80 shipped
Master = 165
Lines= 60
remote adjuster = 45
res. cup plus bracket = 18

still being shipped Galfer wave rotor....
BTW ofcounsel, motor out being built so needed these slow down thing-a-ma-jobs.... :)

Last edited by knox675; 04-25-11 at 10:03.

Old 04-25-11, 09:42   #9
knox675

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcounsel View Post
Motion to sticky denied: I want to see more effort on things that make the bike go faster. Quit wasting your time on stuff that only make you slow, like brakes.

No go on, get busy thinking about fast stuff before I come over qnd lap you on my SV.
Tell me about it! I'm pretty good at passing guys on the brakes... just gotta hold on to the position afterwards! I've done a lot to this bike - short of mods that will render it un-streetable. Most of the DIY mods I've done were to reduce weight (down to ~350 lbs in race trim & ~1 gallon of gas). I've got lots of ideas, but not enough time & money!

Old 04-25-11, 10:27   #10
ofcounsel
Mod & "Resident Baller"...

^^^ Hehe! I was just messin!

As a bigger guy on a small bike, I've had to become very adept at out-braking as well. If you take a look at mine, you'll see I've got just about the same set up... Brembo RCS 19, custom brake lines and R6 rotors. And I've replaced the EBC rotors with some Brembos. The R6 calipers are not only lighter and stiffer than the GSX-R calipers, but their a bit smaller too. So they allow me to slip 320mm rotors on my 16.5" mag. wheel.

I've got my bike down to about 330lbs with enough fuel for a sprint race. Now, if I can only get my fat ass to lose some weight, I'd be set!

WSMC#83 www.wsmcracing.com
WERA#83 www.wera.com
CVMA #83 www.cvmaracing.com
Sponsored by: www.westcoastgpcycles.com / Pirelli / www.group22.com / Driven

Sponsored Links
Advertisement