Honk Kong Plastics: Installed & Reviewed - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Cosmetic Mods

Old 04-02-11, 11:59   #1
homer

Send a message via AIM to homer Send a message via Skype™ to homer
Default Honk Kong Plastics: Installed & Reviewed

I bought a set of hong kong fairings for $225 on eBay. (shipping was another $225) Complete set of plastics, it came with everything (EVERYTHING) except the gas tank. Even a new windscreen, which was a pleasant surprise.

I got the gold fairings, and there were a few noticeable differences.

-the gold color was slightly darker than factory, it doesn't match my tank perfectly, but once I installed them, I actually like the color better than factory.

-the decals, while still embedded in the clearcoat, are slightly different in font sizing. You'd have to put them next to each other to notice.

-some of the bolt holes are different. On the bottom of the fairings where the two are normally attached with the black plastic clips, the holes were too bog for the clips to work. So I used some short bolts and nuts instead.

-to attach the inner black plastics by the radiator, it takes screws instead of the black plastic clips. Im glad I have a huge assortment of screws and bolts from leftover projects or I wouldn't be able to install them. I used silver Phillips head screws.

-the fit and finish is a bit different. They are obviously repros. The body line where it connects to the front clip has a slightly larger gap. Took some finagling to get it to line up.

-some of the bolt holes in the fairings were too small to allow the factory chrome beveled allen head bolts to got through without persuasion

-the mini fender that bolts to the swingarm and the triangle that goes in front of the radiator are painted in body color instead of black, like what came from the factory. I was skeptical at first, but the mini rear mini fender actually looks damn good painted gold instead of black. My bike never came with one and the bolts were missing. So I used a set of black chrome Allen head bolts left over from a tv wall mount kit. It looks AWESOME.

-it came with 2 huge thick sheets of heat shielding, probably 8"x10" each. Way more than what was on the factory fairings. I ended up using all of it. Cut out pieces to make a 4" tall strip that ran all the way from the front to the back of the fairing by the exhaust, and then up where the motor comes close to the fairing behind the air vent. I still havent ridden the bike enough to know if they'll stand up to the heat, even with all the heat shielding.

-it also came with a FREE tank protector decal!! Only problem it was some stupid anime samurai dude, which isn't my thing. It's going back up on eBay, if I can get $5 for it, I'll be happy haha

-the gap between the rear seat and the rear clip is a little bigger than I had hoped.

-shipping was like 6 weeks. Took forever.

That's all I can think of for now, but overall im happy with what I got. It looks great, especially the gold triangle and rear mini fender.

They come in lots of different colors and designs, even some colors that didn't come from the factory. I was half tempted to switch the color of my bike to this nice non metallic baby blue they had listed, but then I wouldn't know what to do about the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4(1).JPG
Views:	997
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	21785   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	730
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	21786   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5(1).JPG
Views:	752
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	21787   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	782
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	21788   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	685
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	21789  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	669
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	21790   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	676
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	21791  

Last edited by homer; 04-02-11 at 22:23.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-11, 21:56   #2
DonPabloVI

Thanks for the write up. I'm thinking about ordering a set from china myself. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate the quality of the paint? (1 being crappy paint that will flake off and 10 being a factory quality paint job) Is that the windscreen that came with the farings install on your bike? Lastly, what seller did you order it from? There seem to be several on ebay. They all look like they are selling the same faring but i'm curious about who you got yours from.

Old 04-02-11, 22:22   #3
homer

I would rate the "quality" of the paint around a 9. However, the shade of the paint is slightly darker than the factory shade. I actually like the darker color MORE than the factory color when you compare the two. However, the quality of what's "under" the paint might be a problem. I can see a couple areas from where they sanded it down and used too rough of sandpaper or something. You can see it in one of the pics, it's also misaligned. It's quite obvious that these fairings are made from a different type of plastic than the factory fairings.

The windscreen came with the kit. It was a pleasant surprise, it came with EVERYTHING. That way, it all looks new and uniform. "Uniform" being a relative term. It looks damn good with the new windscreen and all the new used parts. However, my plastic windscreen bolts were starting to get kind of worn out, so I bought a set of gold anodized windscreen bolts, you can see in one of the pictures.

I bought them from "yes2yeah" As a matter of fact, he couldn't even properly spell "daytona 675" in the ad picture. He spelled it "Daytada" haha. Here's a link to what I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=560201098005

In the picture, it had the black swingarm fender, which is what I originally wanted. But in the actual shipment, it was gold. Again, I was pleasantly surprised. The gold body color swingarm fender looks real good on the bike. Gives it a different look, you don't see that on any other D675.

What color is your bike? What color fairings are you thinking of getting?

Old 04-03-11, 11:33   #4
redmosquito1

Can you scratch paint off with you finger nail?

I recall reading a review of the Hong Kong fairings on here that said the paint could be scraped off with a finger nail.

Old 04-03-11, 12:24   #5
Red9Brit

Thanks for the review and find.

If I had only known about this before I got by 2008 Black D675 painted to red.

I really like the Parkin Elmer replica plastics. Even at $500 total cost including shipping, it's cheaper than my $1k paint job.

I'm really thinking about the PE relica as a 2nd set of skins for my bike.

Really good find.

Old 04-03-11, 12:59   #6
homer

No, you can't scratch off the paint with a fingernail. There's a clearcoat on it. On the back side of the plastics where there is no clear coat, I might be able to, but I haven't tried.

Overall, I'm happy with the value. They're not perfect, but they're perfect when you're trying to rebuild your bike in a bind.

I let my roommate ride my bike and guess what happened? He had no idea how to use a clutch and wrecked it after 10 feet. My bike had never been laid down before in 16,000 miles, and he does it in 10 feet!

He gave me $1,000 cash and said he doesn't want to worry about dealing with it. So, I had to get the entire bike fixed with that budget.

It needed a new stator cover, front clip, side fairing, lever, bar end, mirror, turn signals and a few other bits and pieces.

I priced it out at the dealer, and it would have been like $2400. I did it for $989 including carbon fiber tank covers, a woodcraft stator cover, yellow anodized levers and bar ends, LED turn signals, and a few other upgrades.

I'm glad I got the entire plastics kit instead of just replacing the plastics that were damaged. That way, it all looks brand new, including the other side, the windshield, back plastics, etc. My old plastics were starting to get old. Even though the other side wasn't damaged, they had 16,000 miles on them. A few scratches here, the entire inside covered in "road crud".

Now the entire bike looks new.

Homer

Old 04-03-11, 15:33   #7
Scooter Scott
(RIP) Wiser than you I was

Where are the front fork reflectors?

Carbon fiber, the new crack?

Old 04-03-11, 19:19   #8
DonPabloVI

I've got an 07 Graphite. Highsided during a freak warm day this winter. Was too excited to about the nice weather and getting to pull out the bike. The road was still cold and I guess my tires were not as excited as I was. The first turn outside of my neighborhood I felt my rear let go then catch then I was on the ground. Basically Everything on the left side got damaged. Tail, Peg, Left Faring, Tank, Left clipon, Left mirror. Left top Faring, Even the frame for the top faring. I've gotten all the odds and ends fixed and covered the dent on the tank with the carbon tank covers (which look quit nice). I even mounted a new set of tires last week. Bike is running fine. Actually been out riding all day. All I need now are the farings. I may try the Hong Kong ones. At that price my total repare cost including the new tires will be about $1300. Not to bad considering The dealer route would have been a few thousand dollars. I think I may try something custom as long as it has some griphite in there to match the tank and tie the whole bike together. Thanks again for your write up.

Old 04-04-11, 10:52   #9
homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter Scott View Post
Where are the front fork reflectors?
haha I just got them in Saturday. Thanks a lot for sending them!!! It was very kind of you.

Old 04-04-11, 12:26   #10
tuscani451

I have not yet looked on ebay, what exactly should i search for? Do you by chance have a link? Thanks in advance mate!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement