Should Rorz buy a track bike? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Regional forums > Australia and Asia-Pacific

Australia and Asia-Pacific AAP Regional forum; rides, get togethers, events

View Poll Results: What track bike should Rorz get?
'06 CBR600RR 2 3.64%
'06 GSXR750 8 14.55%
'06 R6 21 38.18%
Stop being weak sauce and keep tracking the SE. 25 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-11, 06:12   #1
Rorz

Default Should Rorz buy a track bike?

So, I've been thinking about buying a track bike....

I've been taking my SE to the track a fair bit lately and plan to hit the track a lot more. While I love riding the 'tona on the track I am a little concerned about putting it down and not being covered by insurance. I bought it new and it's only done around 5,000kms and it's immaculate and I kind of want it to stay that way.

So I've been thinking about buying something considerably cheaper to thrash at the track. That way if it gets dropped it will be annoying but not seventeen odd grand down the toilet. I'd love to get another daytona but they seem a little too expensive. The other thing is that parts for jap bikes seem to be shitloads cheaper. I was thinking of spending around 6-7k on '06 onward 600 (any make) or gsxr 750. I know it's just a track bike but I'd want something in decent condition with resonably low kms. Had a bit of a look around and I think this is achievable.

Thoughts? Other bike options I should consider? Should I just keep tracking my SE and hope for the best?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_GB#gid=0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-11, 06:58   #2
Yuri
Banned

Have you crashed at the track yet? It's not a prerequsite, unless you plan on going pro ;)
Seems like bad tactics to buy a bike based on it's crashability, or own a SE without insurance too.

But if i had to choose, I would get the R6. No question

Old 03-09-11, 07:22   #3
bluedaytona02

get another 675 and source parts through here and ebay.com and ebay.co.uk. If you like the bike, then stick to it.

I buy everything secondhand or heavily discounted. it's the only way I can afford to run the bike with all the nice bits of bling. STG other forum sponsors can negotiate a good price on consumables too. I've even had a forum member buy OEM parts (manual idle adjuster and cam chain tensioner) over there and ship it here for me for beer money!!!
Current: '06 Daytona 675 ('08 BEARS winning bike - Chris Panayi) White with Pitty's Custom Vinyls TTC decals STM Slipper Clutch Braking wave rotors with folding/adjustable levers GB engine covers Valter Moto Rearsets Race kit detent wheel & idle adjuster 1050 throttle tube Captive Wheel Spacers MotoGems bling Vortex clip-ons, Stomp grip 520 conversion Puig screen Madaz slip-on Intake flapper & Ex-up removed Swing-arm pivot mod. Thinner head gasket Custom tune

Old 03-09-11, 07:31   #4
old blue

This is simple, Rorz.

If you are going to keep going to the track, are you seriously going to just ride around in circles going faster and faster, or is this leading somewhere - I.E, racing?

If you want to just keep doing track days, then buy anything at all.

If you want to progress to racing eventually, then buy a track bike that will qualify for the race class you want to eventually enter. That way you can track it for now, then start racing eventually ... without having to buy yet another bike.

Whatever you buy, make sure that spares and knowledge are easily and cheaply available for when you race, and if you crash.

I am by no means any sort of example to anyone, but I got a crappy old SV650. My reasons? Because it's a fun track bike, it fits into a race class, it's heaps of fun to embarrass people on faster bikes, and because I can learn a lot about being a better rider while riding a slower bike.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed hunting down a guy on a track R6 - complete with slicks - last track day, and surfing past him on Turn 2, mounted on my shitty old SV. I had a grin on my face like a cracked pie for the rest of the day.

Have fun!

O.B

Old 03-09-11, 16:19   #5
Rorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Have you crashed at the track yet? It's not a prerequsite, unless you plan on going pro ;)
Seems like bad tactics to buy a bike based on it's crashability, or own a SE without insurance too.

But if i had to choose, I would get the R6. No question
At the trackdays I have been at, it isn't uncommon for a few people to go down. At superbike school at Phillip island there were 66 students, of which 6 went down. That's 10%. One of them cartwheeled a gsxr 600 near the hayshed writing it off. I haven't crashed at the track yet touch wood but it certainly does happen.

I do have compreshenive insurance on the SE but it doesn't cover track riding. If I was to cartwheel it out of the kink straight at Mallala I would think it would be very hard to claim insurance.

My cousin has an '07 R6 which I've ridden several times. I quite like it actually, feels different to the 'tona but still a quick, capable bike. The only thing I didn't like was it felt a little lacking in the lower and mid rpm, not just in comparison with the 675 but other I4 600's also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaytona02 View Post
get another 675 and source parts through here and ebay.com and ebay.co.uk. If you like the bike, then stick to it.

I buy everything secondhand or heavily discounted. it's the only way I can afford to run the bike with all the nice bits of bling. STG other forum sponsors can negotiate a good price on consumables too. I've even had a forum member buy OEM parts (manual idle adjuster and cam chain tensioner) over there and ship it here for me for beer money!!!
I would like another Daytona but I just can't justify the extra money. It will be at least a thousand more expensive to buy then more expensive every time I had to buy parts for it. Compare these:

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...=250&silo=1400

or

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...eot=1&__N=1432 604 1430 1429 1428 4294967268 4294967123&silo=1400

vs

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bike...s=66&silo=1400

then

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jardine-RT-One-Full-Ti-Race-exhaust-CBR600rr-05-06-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a63d9129fQQitemZ25078 3273631QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

vs

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRIUMPH-DAYTONA-675-ARROW-STAGE-3-RACE-EXHAUST-/110613851122?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash =item19c1196bf2

That yellow Daytona looks like a pretty good buy but I just don't want to spend quite that much on a track bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post
This is simple, Rorz.

If you are going to keep going to the track, are you seriously going to just ride around in circles going faster and faster, or is this leading somewhere - I.E, racing?

If you want to just keep doing track days, then buy anything at all.

If you want to progress to racing eventually, then buy a track bike that will qualify for the race class you want to eventually enter. That way you can track it for now, then start racing eventually ... without having to buy yet another bike.

Whatever you buy, make sure that spares and knowledge are easily and cheaply available for when you race, and if you crash.

I am by no means any sort of example to anyone, but I got a crappy old SV650. My reasons? Because it's a fun track bike, it fits into a race class, it's heaps of fun to embarrass people on faster bikes, and because I can learn a lot about being a better rider while riding a slower bike.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed hunting down a guy on a track R6 - complete with slicks - last track day, and surfing past him on Turn 2, mounted on my shitty old SV. I had a grin on my face like a cracked pie for the rest of the day.

Have fun!

O.B
I definately would like to start racing probably sooner rather than later. I'm still waiting for someone to send the details for the cafe racer's bracket racing though...

From what I could see on the website though the brackets were more based on what lap times you run rather than what bike you ride with the exception of the limited class which I'm guessing is the class you have the SV for?

I'd prefer to get another modern hypersport rather than something I can race in limited mainly because I'd like to do Phillip Island a couple times a year which would be a little frustrating on something with less power than a 600. Plus I just like the feeling of rolling on the throttle of a powerful sport bike out the corners at the track....

Last edited by Rorz; 03-09-11 at 16:27.

Old 03-09-11, 16:52   #6
MGFChapin

Quote:
I am by no means any sort of example to anyone, but I got a crappy old SV650. My reasons? Because it's a fun track bike, it fits into a race class, it's heaps of fun to embarrass people on faster bikes
This. I make it a point to stare at people as I pass them with ~50 less hp. Cracks me up every time.

Rorz, if you don't want to get an SV that's understandable. If you want something you want to race eventually, a 750 is probably out of the question right? 06 CBR is a POS. It's reliable, but it's underpowered, heavy, and a real ***** to work on. Guess that narrows it down to the 06 R6, which is light, powerful, tall, flickable and really easy to work on. I love 'em!

Old 03-09-11, 16:54   #7
old blue

Rorz -

Yes, Bracket Racing is based on your times. You can race anything within reason, as long as you are comfortable in the pack on it, I.E it may not be fun to be out there on a 250 Ninja, being carved up by litre bikes.

From memory, Limited Class (in S.A only) can be up to 350cc two stroke, up to 400cc inline 4, up to 700cc v-twin, up to 750cc 2-valve air cooled v-twin and I think singles up to 800cc.

I think if you're focused on Phillip Island maybe a 600cc inline makes sense. My concern is that in the classes where 600's race, generally you will need a pretty up-to-date machine to remain competitive. The bar is set pretty high.

I hear you about the pleasure of having plenty of power, but I can't say I've really missed it that much.

I retired my Daytona from the track because I was going faster and faster, and the 'moments', although they didn't happen often, were pretty butt-puckering. A big front tyre smear into Turn 1 convinced me that I didn't want to wreck the D675 I've had since new.

Also, the Triumph was fast becoming a 'track-only' bike - there was so much stuff stripped off it and added/changed for the track that it was becoming a real pain to spanner it together again for road rides.

Good luck with your choosing - but I reckon you've already decided on an R6!

O.B

Old 03-09-11, 17:33   #8
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

Take it from me that has done a shitload of trackdays with different organizations...you can't gauge days in terms of #s of crashes. Ive been to trackdays where there were no crashes and have been to trackdays where it was nothing BUT crashes....the one that comes to mind is Columbus Day 2009 where by 1pm they had 17 crashes!!!....17!!! Needless to say I left early.

You have to ask yourself what your intentions are on the track. Just because you ride track doesn't necessarily mean you are going to crash. If your goal is get faster then yes, you will inevitably crash...some are lucky to get faster and haven't crashed. Some people go to trackdays just to have "fun" (not timing themselves, not pushing their maximum effort, etc) in a safe environment. Those that have that mentality more likely won't crash.

Im also all for an SV650 as a track bike. My first time I was at Big WIllow (which is built for a liter bike) I actually did a faster lap time than I did on my 675!!! Its unbelievable. The times Ive ridden one on the track its gobs of fun...especially when you pass 600 or liter bikes. All I know is once my D675 croaks Im getting an SV650. The reason I wont get rid of it now is because selling it now considernig the condition would practically be a loss and I love it too much to sell it. As for what your looking to spend...you can get a top notch race ready SV650 with money to spare. If you dont get into racing at least you have bike you'll no longer have to pour money into for improvements and such.

One thing you'll realize is as you get faster the more expensive it gets--you may want to upgrade things, you'll burn through tires faster,etc.

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Old 03-09-11, 17:44   #9
Yuri
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
This. I make it a point to stare at people as I pass them with ~50 less hp. Cracks me up every time.
That's just the sort of macho wankery that probly causes half of the motorcycle accidents on the track

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you wan't to judge a Man's character, give him Power"
Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Yuri; 03-09-11 at 17:51.

Old 03-09-11, 17:46   #10
Rorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
a 750 is probably out of the question right? 06 CBR is a POS. It's reliable, but it's underpowered, heavy, and a real ***** to work on.
I'll probably only be doing bracket racing (in which you are grouped by lap times) in the forseeable future which means I won't be restricted by capacity so the gixxer 750 is still an option as are pretty much any of the litre bikes but to get something '05 or '06 onward in a litre bike is probably going to cost a fair bit more than I want to spend.

The '06 CBR600RR is a POS? I've never ridden one but was under the impression that they were a pretty decent bike. Are they noticeably slower than the other 600's? How much heavier are we talking?

Quote:
Rorz -

Yes, Bracket Racing is based on your times. You can race anything within reason, as long as you are comfortable in the pack on it, I.E it may not be fun to be out there on a 250 Ninja, being carved up by litre bikes.

I think if you're focused on Phillip Island maybe a 600cc inline makes sense. My concern is that in the classes where 600's race, generally you will need a pretty up-to-date machine to remain competitive. The bar is set pretty high.

Good luck with your choosing - but I reckon you've already decided on an R6!

O.B
Thanks for the info OB.

I was actually leaning toward the two bikes I linked above! The '06 CBR600RR and the '06 GSXR750. MGF Chapins comments are making me re-think the blade tho... I spoke to the guy with the 750 on the phone, he reacons it has cosmetic fairing damage only so could be a good buy. Just fit some race plastics and should be good to go. It's unrideable at the moment due to the fairing though and it's located in Cairns!! I'm getting a quote to have it sent down but I would need to have it inspected by someone to confirm there is no frame, fork or other major damage prior to purchasing it.

There was a cheap '07 R6 with some fairing damage but it must have sold as it's no longer there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement