Erick Buell Racing 1190RS - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports

News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports any and all 675 ride experiences and news

Old 02-19-11, 00:51   #11
coreyvwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
Is that what is is? I assumed it was for a second caliper for racing applications with that crappy single rotor.
Yup sure is, it's actually pretty toned down compared to the one use on the race bike. That "crappy single rotor" is actually a massively powerful setup, eight pistons in that bad boy. Poor heat dissipation is the biggest drawback.

Make sense now?

Last edited by coreyvwc; 02-19-11 at 01:01.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-11, 01:01   #12
MacBandit

Yeah I'm sure it has a lot of power but power is not an issue with regular brakes it's all about control and reducing rotating mass both of which this system seems to be a huge step back on.

Old 02-19-11, 01:17   #13
coreyvwc

not sure on the control factor, but this setup actually allows for less rotating mass which is the whole reason for the design. The perimeter mount rotor allows them to use a much lighter front wheel because there is less stress being applied on the rotor lugs, thus less material is needed. Plus there is only one rotor without a carrier attached to the hub. Then there is only one caliper, one brake line, two brake pads which makes the entire front end lighter. The important thing to remember about Buell is that form ALWAYS follows function.

Old 02-19-11, 01:36   #14
MacBandit

Yes it weighs less but due to the larger diameter it actually has a higher amount of radial momentum and thus more gyroscopic force then two smaller discs. More gyroscopic force means it's harder to change directions.

Old 02-19-11, 03:35   #15
KRS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag556 View Post
That bike needs a short exhaust like a KTM RC8R. Get rid of that god awful exhaust and the bracket to hold it. Other than that, nice looking.
As soon as I saw this bike I thought OMg "they are making 2 strokes again", then i noticed it was a "1190" and knew it was just a cool exhaust. Seems that exhaust wouldn't have been hard to get under the tail, but o well.
My first thought was a Honda/yama cuz of the fender, anything but a Buell
Edit: sry i gotta say i love the single pivot style shock setup

Last edited by KRS; 02-19-11 at 03:41.

Old 02-19-11, 11:53   #16
jared

always amazes me how a little bit of plastic can take an ugly as sin buell (imo) and give it the same profile as the rest of the sport bikes we love.

thumbs for for trying something new with the exhaust, but it sucks.

am i the only one that is bothered by the wheels not matching? triggers the ocd every time i look at it.

Old 02-19-11, 16:06   #17
MacBandit

I think its more then ski deep this time. Their using a Rotax 1190 motor which I have to assume Ian the same Rotax 1190 that KTM uses in the RC8.

Old 02-19-11, 19:42   #18
Smoke

The front and back wheel never match, the rear being bigger, ya know... And it is indeed the front rotor setup which allows such a thin front wheel (and doesnt allowa thin rear wheel, just live with it. I'm pretty sure Erik took everything in account, but I still think a double system would be preferable to avoid fork twisting. I'll live with it, too.

That said, at long last a decent-looking Buell

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Old 02-21-11, 12:59   #19
Logans08Daytona675

I would have to disagree to certain extent. I believe you would actually have less gyroscopic effect from the front wheel with the rotor being on the outside of the wheel. Less weight and less mass centralization being forced when the bike is heading into a turn. The front end on that bike must be incredibly light. Have you pick up a caliper, disc and hub. Their is probably over ten pounds per side. Also with the exhaust I think it's funny how everyone wants to be different and rides a Triumph yet when someone comes out with a different looking exhaust everyone wants the same looking exhaust off of another bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
Yes it weighs less but due to the larger diameter it actually has a higher amount of radial momentum and thus more gyroscopic force then two smaller discs. More gyroscopic force means it's harder to change directions.

Old 02-21-11, 13:15   #20
MacBandit

For any given weight and rotational speed the larger the diameter you make it the more gyroscopic forces that it will develop. This has to do with the corresponding speed of the two objects. Just like on a race track where the inside line is the shortest distance the outer line is longer so in order for the disc around the outside of the rim to make one rotation it has to travel at a far greater speed thus developing more momentum and more gyroscopic forces.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement