question on blocking the SAI - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 02-13-11, 17:08   #1
redmosquito1

Default question on blocking the SAI

I'm doing the 12k mile service and wondering if I were to simply cut the hoses for the SAI short and block them if that would be sufficient?

I've heard of the SV guys doing this along with some wiring work so the ecu doesn't throw a light, we have the luxury of tuneECU so no issue there.

Thoughts?

I'm looking to do this for 2 reasons, 1 to clean up the under tank area and perhaps use the bracket to mount my new R/R and 2 so I lose the burbbles on decel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-11, 05:51   #2
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

I can't comment on the SAI, but is it a good idea to mount the R/R under the tank, right on top of the engine? I was under the impression the R/R was meant to be placed somewhere it can receive a flow of cooling air. Under the tank is gonna be pretty warm isn't it? I may be completely wrong, so I'll wait to be shot down in flames!

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Old 02-14-11, 06:57   #3
redmosquito1

Ruby I was thinking the same thing but it looks like there may be adequate airflow where the SAI mounts for it to work. That is where the frame tubes start to separate so I'd think it'd be an improvement. I've seen others on sprints mount theres inside the fairings next to the motor will no I'll effects. And its my understanding that the MOSFET units run way cooler so heat isn't an issue anylonger. That being said my other and more likely install location at the moment will be in the stock location.

Old 02-14-11, 09:03   #4
JazMan

Yes you could just cut the SAI hoses and plug them . But what I normally do is pop into AutoZone and buy some rubber block off caps and then safety wire those on ( you could just use aircraft clamps too). And then use TuneECU to disable the SAI.
ASMA #66
IBA # 44791
Original 6 AZ Dirty Aces

Old 02-14-11, 11:48   #5
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmosquito1 View Post
Ruby I was thinking the same thing but it looks like there may be adequate airflow where the SAI mounts for it to work. That is where the frame tubes start to separate so I'd think it'd be an improvement. I've seen others on sprints mount theres inside the fairings next to the motor will no I'll effects. And its my understanding that the MOSFET units run way cooler so heat isn't an issue anylonger. That being said my other and more likely install location at the moment will be in the stock location.
Redmosquito1. I believe the newer ones do run cooler, so maybe you're right and the heat wont be a problem. Seems a lot of work moving it though, although I'm assuming you have an earlier model where it is mounted near the shock? Just wanted to mention the heat thing, but you'd already considered that.

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Old 02-14-11, 12:03   #6
MacBandit

They still get hot enough to burn you. The side fairing mount works because you get a lot of air flowing through the front of the fairing and then it's forced around the sides. Under the front of the tank doesn't work because there's no exit for the air flow it just piles up in the front and doesn't flow. Besides you really want to keep heat away from the gas tank. Cold gas equals more power.

Old 02-14-11, 16:31   #7
redmosquito1

Good point Mac, I guess I forgot to consider the lack of an exit for the air.

I do have an 06 and it is mounted as stated, with the latest developments I'll probably keep it in its current local as I don't have the bracket to move it to the new location.

Maybe I'll scour ebay for one.

Old 02-14-11, 22:26   #8
Karl

I was going to relocate my one to where the vacuum reservoir for the intake flap lived.
Be about the same as where the new ones are mounted?

Old 02-14-11, 22:35   #9
MacBandit

No that's a vacuum pocket behind the fairing. Almost worse then no air flow. Down by the motor like the newer Daytonas is an excellent location though.

Old 02-14-11, 23:10   #10
ladwign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
I can't comment on the SAI, but is it a good idea to mount the R/R under the tank, right on top of the engine? I was under the impression the R/R was meant to be placed somewhere it can receive a flow of cooling air. Under the tank is gonna be pretty warm isn't it? I may be completely wrong, so I'll wait to be shot down in flames!
Congrats!! you have exactly 675 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement