HOWTO: Daytona 675 - Custom Wire Harness for Track Usage - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > How To's

Old 11-27-10, 11:53   #1
06Triumph675

Default HOWTO: Daytona 675 - Custom Wire Harness for Track Usage

---------------------------------------------

UPDATE: The harness is done... I wasn't able to make a new harness like Hord did (pic below) but it still turned out ok and I figure it got rid of 3 pounds of useless wires

All the removal items were:

Ignition
All the lights
Front and rear brake switch
Horn and horn switch
Dimmer switch
Kickstand switch
Clutch lever switch (ok to remove for 06-08 bikes)
Cooling Fan and relay
Turn switch and relay
SAI solenoid valve
02 sensor
Tip Over sensor
Intake Flap selenoid
EXUP control valve actuator
Alarm connector

---------------------------------------------

I don't know what the minimal wiring is to do this but thought it would be
great if someone who has done this before could show how to do it.

I know Hord did it for his 675, I think he made a brand new harness, I don't
think he trimmed it down. That would be the ideal solution for this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	675light_002.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	19962  

Last edited by 06Triumph675; 05-23-11 at 18:45.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-10, 15:57   #2
06Triumph675

I guess this forum doesn't have an electrical experts so I am going to try and tackle this. I wish hordboy would see this thread and pipe in... I'm sure he built his from scratch.

Old 12-02-10, 16:02   #3
KEGSdale

I would start with the Triumph service manual which includes a complete wiring diagram. Use that to determine what you need to keep and what needs to go. Remove any excess wires you won't be using.....

That should be a good start? :)

Old 12-02-10, 16:03   #4
06Triumph675

That's the plan. I ordered the manual and another book on motorcyle electronics. Plus all the required testing tools.

Old 12-02-10, 16:50   #5
hordboy

That's a completely custom harness. I started with an aftermarket (Ignitech) ECU that was supplied per my request with a blank "pigtail" harness about 6' long. From there I just hooked up everything needed to start and run the bike and make it charge the battery. It even used the stock dash. (serial data) No more, no less. It was quite involved, and I'd never be able to explain the process. I used OEM connectors sourced from Dataspares UK, so that I could hook up to the stock sensors and so forth. It saved a lot of weight, and it was a very "clean" simple harness when complete. It was covered with the mesh stuff you see on professional harnesses. I absolutely hate the hack jobs people do with NAPA crimp connectors and electrical tape. Gah.

Old 12-02-10, 17:41   #6
06Triumph675

Thanks for the info. I'll look into sourcing that connector kit and see if I can do a minimal harness from just the manual's wiring diagrams. I did a custom R1 harness once and it was very time consuming. I'll be doing what you recommended with the lightweight batteries and just run the + to the starter relay and the - to the frame. By the looks of it yours must be at least 3 pounds lighter than stock. I even had the race kit harness and it still had a lot of weight to it.

Old 12-02-10, 18:07   #7
hordboy

Unfortunately the connectors aren't a kit, you have to pick and choose from their offerings to get what you need. But it's nice stuff. You'll need the proper crimping tool.

As I recall the wire harness itself was a couple pounds lighter. All told, with the elimination of unneeded junk (switches, relays, the idle control, so on) it saved around 5 lbs. Just going off my feeble memory.

Old 12-03-10, 13:32   #8
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Here is another good source of connectors: http://www.kojaycat.com/

I used his stuff for my project. Since then he has got hold of a lot of the OE connectors on most modern bikes. Wish he'd had them earlier this year as it would have saved me a bit of work.

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Old 12-06-10, 16:49   #9
06Triumph675

Ruby do you have a list of the part numbers for the stock connectors by chance? Don't bother if it's too much trouble. I'll just clean, cut, and reuse the stock ones that are needed for the prototype but then I'd like to order some new ones to create a fresh harness like Hordboy's.

Old 12-06-10, 17:25   #10
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Triumph675 View Post
Ruby do you have a list of the part numbers for the stock connectors by chance? Don't bother if it's too much trouble. I'll just clean, cut, and reuse the stock ones that are needed for the prototype but then I'd like to order some new ones to create a fresh harness like Hordboy's.
No, sorry. I used the ones from KojayKat and they were different to OE. But his new ones may well match. Just look at the pictures an see if they match, I'm pretty sure you'll find some that do.

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement