i do'nt know if i used this thread before, but i'm going to now more as a service log entry
so it's winter here, i figured i'd check the valves and assume they need adjustment
it was frustrating measuring the clearances as i'd have to bend my feeler gauges a rude degree. but i did it anyway
so my valves all seem to be in spec which is also suspicious for a 30,000 mile bike. i'm guessing the previous owner adjusted valves sometime before 14,000 miles... otherwise i'm completely doing the measurements wrong..
this is what i got:
(0.28mm)(0.28) - (0.28)(0.30) - (0.28)(0.28)
(0.10mm)(0.10) - (0.13)(0.15) - (0.13)(0.15)
i'm expecting gaps to widen with more miles, right??
while i had it exposed, i looked at the cam chain. is there evidence in these pics of case damage from the chain?
i don't think the tensioner or the guides are bad.. i do'nt think i hear any terrible chain slapping...
so i buttoned that back up. then i figured i'd replace that cracked coolant reservoir tank with one that i got from a member here months ago. that was... not fun but not too hard
and since the fairings were still off, i figured i'd finally remove the EXUP motor. well unbolting the motor was the easy part, but the cable ends were seized by rust on the valve cam. so i cut the cables there. the cable adjuster nuts were also so rusted that they're still on there. i just slid the cables out with the motor.
so now i have the motor's wires hanging around along another wire and connector that goes to where?!
well with the EXUP officially gone, i figured i should do the TuneECU deal, clear the codes and disable the EXUP. ok yeah that was easy, but i want it to run just right, i should reset the TPS... and that led into a couple hours of research and action. so the TPS voltage wasn't just right being above 0.62 volts. so how the hell do i adjust that? well, take the tank back off, take off the airbox again (oh yeah, i replaced the foam on the airbox "snorkel" too), but leave the ECU plugged all the while making sex between the headlight fuse and the fuse box (ya know, in and out, a lot)... mess with the step-up motor and bang on the TPS itself a little bit (but not in that order) so as not to have to remove the throttle bodies. to make it even more confusing, it seems like there's a miscommunication between the Diagnostics page and the Test page of TuneECU. while Diagnostic page is showing the TPS voltage at 0.65-0.67v, i can get the Test page after Adjusting ISCV to reach 0.60v and 0.72v when it asks for it by again, banging on the TPS this way and that and by adjusting the ISCV nut and fingering things here and there...
well, finally, and to my great satisfaction, a shitty initial idle smoothed out to TPS indicator going GREEN
i'm glad i didn't bolt everything thing up because i definitely have oil leaking from the valve cover gasket. it doesn't worry me 'cause i know i wasn't careful putting that back on. it's just i do'nt want to do anymore today
the pics are huge. i'm not surprised they're not showing up..