HOW TO: Quick Release Rear Seat - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > How To's

Old 07-03-10, 16:30   #1
Sparker

Default HOW TO: Quick Release Rear Seat

All right, I want to start off by saying that I have searched most of the sport bike forums and they all have some version of a method which typically involves drilling out the stock bolt hole and using a chintzy looking over-priced pin.

My method is (nearly) completely reversible should you need to. This is definitely not the only way to do this. I used 100% of my brain power and this is what I came up with. Sad, I know.

I would not recommend anybody do any quick-release method if you intend to carry a passenger. You should only use the stock bolt when riding 2-up. The main purpose of this for me is to quickly throw on my saddle bags to haul books to school.

Parts needed:
2 6mm x 55mm x1.0 bolts (With the smooth part on the neck) Edit: If you ride 2-up a lot, you could get a bolt that is threaded the entire length. When you are done, you have the option of using a 6mm nut on the end when you carry a passenger.
2 1-9/16 "Safety Pins" (Not sure why they are called 1-9/16, they are 1/16" thick)
You could get by with only one of each of these, however it is good to have a backup.

Tools needed:
Dremel (recommended)
Drill
3/32" Drill bit
Vice or vice grips to hold bolt while drilling, or you could use a drill press.
Needle nose pliers

First, cut the head off of a 55mm bolt. I used a dremel. Screw it into the hole and slide the seat over it to see where you are going to drill the hole for the pin. Alternatively, I found a small washer that was the same thickness as the seat bracket and the bolt was easier to get to. Try to mark it so that when the bolt is all the way in the pin hole is horizontal, although this is not crucial it will help later.

Next, drill a hole in through the bolt big enough for the pin to go through. I used 3/32". To avoid having the seat be excessively wobbly, I put the hole just a touch closer than I thought it should be. You can always unscrew it 1/2 turn if you drill the hole too close. After the hole is drilled in the bolt, you can feel free to shorten it and deburr the edges. I also used some flat black touch up paint.

You should have something like this:

55mm bolt, fancy custom bolt, stock bolt. The extra bolt is in case you mess one up.

Next we need to drill a hole in the seat bracket, next to the bolt hole. Like so: (This is the only part that can't be undone)

Now we need to fashion a pin that will work for this. Grab your safety pins and get to bending. It's hard to explain how to form this pin, so I will show you with pictures:

Here is the original one on the left and the finished one on the right. You should make two, just in case you lose one later.

Now test the pin out for size. Be careful if you adjust it, because they get weaker every time you bend them. Stick the 90 degree end into the bolt first, the push the hooked end into the hole we made. To remove it, pull the hooked end out of the frame first, then it can slide out of the bolt.

It looks bigger than it is in these pictures, but I think there is room enough to make it smaller it would just be harder to take on and off. If it looks good, test the seat out and make sure that it doesn't wobble too much for your liking.

There is definitely other pin configurations that could have the same effect.

If all is well, we need to use some thread locker on the bolt (blue so its removable). Since we need the hole in the bolt to be horizontal, you probably can't tighten it down enough to keep put without thread locker.

So here is what you'll be left with:

Once it's done you can see just a bit of silver sticking through, but it is not enough to feel or notice unless your looking for it. I might put a bit of electrical tape on the contact point to preserve my paint, and once the seat flap is down you can't really see much at all.

Last thing: throw the extra pin under your seat. In case you are out and about and drop, lose or break your pin you wont be stuck.

Obviously this mod is not for everyone, but hopefully it helps a few of you out.

Last edited by Sparker; 07-03-10 at 18:23.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-10, 16:41   #2
Cloud
Banned

Nice write up. Thanks for sharing your setup.

Old 07-03-10, 17:36   #3
Brian675

Very detailed write up, thank you.

Old 07-03-10, 19:44   #4
bluedaytona02

Alternatively, Instead of the safety pin you fashioned to fit, you could use an 'R' pin with a washer. That would also mean there would be no need to drill into the sub-frame.

Cool idea.
Current: '06 Daytona 675 ('08 BEARS winning bike - Chris Panayi) White with Pitty's Custom Vinyls TTC decals STM Slipper Clutch Braking wave rotors with folding/adjustable levers GB engine covers Valter Moto Rearsets Race kit detent wheel & idle adjuster 1050 throttle tube Captive Wheel Spacers MotoGems bling Vortex clip-ons, Stomp grip 520 conversion Puig screen Madaz slip-on Intake flapper & Ex-up removed Swing-arm pivot mod. Thinner head gasket Custom tune

Old 07-03-10, 20:09   #5
Sparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaytona02 View Post
Alternatively, Instead of the safety pin you fashioned to fit, you could use an 'R' pin with a washer. That would also mean there would be no need to drill into the sub-frame.

Cool idea.
I tired it, but I couldn't get it in the hole (that's what she said) but maybe I just have fat fingers. Really, any type of pin or clip could work it's just a matter of how to get it in the hole. I'm sure there's a better word choice out there... I wound up fumbling and dropping every other one I tried, this is by far the "quickest" way I found. The problem is trying to put a pin through perpendicular to the bolt, behind the plastic and underneath the rubber.

Old 07-04-10, 02:15   #6
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

VERY NICE!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Old 07-04-10, 13:31   #7
faheygf87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
VERY NICE!!! I LOVE IT!!!!

Agreed, love the idea. I may give this a try one of these day. I switch from the cowl to the seat whenever the girly wants to go for a ride and its a PITA.

07 Graphite D675:
Full Ti Remus exhaust, Full Arrow/Remus Hybrid tune, Rizoma Sportlines/Bar ends/ Fluid Tanks, ASV Shorty Levers, CF Infill Panels, CF tank pad, CF heat shield, CF Front fender, CF lower chain guard, CA integrated light, Watsens 10LED front indicator, Gel Seats front and back, CW fender eliminator.

Old 07-04-10, 13:44   #8
Sparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by faheygf87 View Post
Agreed, love the idea. I may give this a try one of these day. I switch from the cowl to the seat whenever the girly wants to go for a ride and its a PITA.
You'll want to do the full thread bolt, then. You can actually thread it in from the back of the bike and drill the pin hole. Then you can pop out the pin, throw the seat on and use a nut to secure it. Don't let your girl on with only the pin holding her on, please.

Last edited by Sparker; 07-04-10 at 15:45.

Old 07-04-10, 14:04   #9
faheygf87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparker View Post
You'll want to do the full thread bolt, then. You can actually thread it in from the back of the bike and drill the pin hole. Then You can pop out the pin, throw the seat on and use a nut to secure it. Don't let your girl on with only the pin holding her on, please.
Haha, yeah I could see how that could quickly end the relationship.

07 Graphite D675:
Full Ti Remus exhaust, Full Arrow/Remus Hybrid tune, Rizoma Sportlines/Bar ends/ Fluid Tanks, ASV Shorty Levers, CF Infill Panels, CF tank pad, CF heat shield, CF Front fender, CF lower chain guard, CA integrated light, Watsens 10LED front indicator, Gel Seats front and back, CW fender eliminator.

Old 07-17-10, 02:58   #10
Ken M1

Why not just use a stock spring cotter pin such as this?
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDMQ9QEwAw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement