I've been wanting to do this for about a year now. I finally sold my Tyga setup a to fund this project. I also found the slip on slightly used on ebay for hella cheap compared to what they go for new. It's full stainless steel and TIG welded by a buddy of mine. My old roommate(I moved last weekend) Paul helped me with this project. He has built some very impressive stuff for his 99 Eclipse GSX so with his help this project was a pretty easy and cheap. I started with a stock header and this time around I wanted to not only get rid of the cat and exup like the last exhaust, but also the stock merge collector. I bought a 3-1 true merge collector kit from Cone Engineering
. The kit in SS was very nice quality and only $41 bucks. I also got the merge bullets and tool to hold them in place when welding. It was just over $50 shipped. I emailed/called Rich @ Cone a few times and he was extremely helpful and I would recommend their stuff to anyone. On to the pictures!
Here is where we cut the stock header
The stock merge sucks
Turbo stars held in place by the tool they sell
We tacked it up with the MIG welder then brought everything to be TIG welded by a friend
Fully TIG'ed and mocked up
Roommate grinding away
Installed on bike, fairing was not completely mounted back up and I ended up taking just a little more off the fairing for fitment but you get the idea. I moved last Saturday so unfortunately I have not had much time at all to mess with my bike.
I'm very happy with the finished project. It has a very low rumble at idle and really screams at wide open throttle. It's a lot quiter than my old Tyga setup. I will post up vids as soon as I remember which box I put my camera in. We also cut out a little bracket piece out of aluminum that uses one of the rear set bolts to help support it. Look's pretty trick and worked out great!