Leather jacket got wet - special treatment? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Riding Gear

Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

Old 04-02-10, 16:17   #1
Neanderthal

Default Leather jacket got wet - special treatment?

Did a quick search on "leather care" and all I found was a few recommended products. Today I was caught out in the rain and got my RS Tachi jacket wet for the first time. I dried it off with a towel and hung it up over the bathtub to dry out. Should I treat the leather with anything in particular? It is dyed black, do the leather treatments fade the coloring? Thanks for any tips!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-10, 16:35   #2
Jason@STG
Platinum Site Sponsor

you should be fine. i have gotten plenty of suits and jackets wet. in fact, i regularly wash my leather/kangaroo gloves.

the key is to put it in a position of function and let it natually dry. should be good to go

Old 04-02-10, 16:49   #3
jtnyc

hey Jason, when you clean the k'roo gloves (I assume you're using Held Phantom), do they get hard or dry after? What do you use to condition them?

Can I use Vanson leather balm?

ps, Neaderthal, I would suggest making sure they're clean (sometimes when riding wet you get splashed w/ dirty road water), air dry, and then apply a good leather conditioner. My personal favorite is the Vanson leather balm, but I heard Lexol works well, too.

Old 04-02-10, 17:52   #4
Jason@STG
Platinum Site Sponsor

i wash my phantoms with dish soap and luke warm water. takes a couple days to dry, and they dont really get crispy or anything.

after that you need to use a conditioner. i have some teknic stuff i use but anything will work. even hand lotion. anything specific to leather conditioning will work fine.

any other questions let me know

Old 04-02-10, 18:35   #5
way2faded

Ive ruined 2 leather jackets that got wet by doing nothing to them and just letting them dry out. they faded and the leather where it got wet is hard and rough like sandpaper almost. you want to condition it when its like 95% dry. any leather conditioner will work just fine like jason said.

the other thing is thick cowhide wont be affected as much by water damage as a designer leather jacket thats soft to the touch. They also sell spray on water repellant that is made for leather. it works great and you can see the water roll right off it.

Old 04-02-10, 22:48   #6
Neanderthal

Thanks for those tips!

Old 04-02-10, 23:25   #7
Budo
I am a Fcking Fantastical Dancer

I've been soaked through in my Dainese jacket countless times and a few of those for 4+ hours at a time... The jacket is still top notch, no cracking, splitting, or excessive fading anywhere. Maybe that's a testament to the jacket though, not leather care...

I also get my jacket reconditioned once a year by a local tailor. Every time I get it back it feels like a new jacket :D

The bad thing about riding a motorcycle is you cant hear the phone ring.
The good thing about riding a motorcycle is you cant hear the phone ring.

- Scott P.

Old 04-02-10, 23:37   #8
Neanderthal

Just found this on RS Taichi's website:

Please do not dry under direct sunshine, and never dry with the dryer. If you do so, the leather will be shrink and gets hard. It won't return to the original quality once it gets hard. Please take moisture with a dry towel as much as possible at shade.
Further we recommend to spread mink oil when it is not completely dried condition, and wearing once is better. It is because shrinking can be prevented by wearing.

I wonder if mink oil stinks, lol?

Old 04-03-10, 01:42   #9
Ken M1

They actually sell the Lexol leather conditioner at a PepBoys near me. I was wondering if it was any good? I've noticed other (not Lexol)leather treatments now have UV inhibitors in them (which sounds like a good idea), however those are all cleaner/conditioner COMBO'S (which I've been told to stay away from, as it LEAVES the cleaners on the leather). I wish they made a water repellent/UV inhibiting/conditioner (only)! Does such exist??

Old 04-03-10, 16:04   #10
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken M1 View Post
They actually sell the Lexol leather conditioner at a PepBoys near me.....
This is exactly what I did. I was at a place right next to a Pep Boys this morning so I picked up a bottle of the Lexol conditioner. It sort of looks like dog puke and does not have much smell. You can feel the oil in it. It wipes on really easy, does not feel greasy or anything after a few minutes. I was afraid it would leave an Armorall-type of shine to the leather but that has not happened - leather looks clean and feels a little more supple, I think the Lexol will work out fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement