Chain / sprocket size question - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 08-24-09, 15:23   #1
stamford

Default Chain / sprocket size question

I am in the market for just a chain. I'll need chain/sprockets next time.

My question is what is the difference in 520 and 525? I understand I need a 116 link chain for stock sprocket sizes but do I need 520 or 525?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-09, 15:31   #2
Bamboo671

I beleive stock the bike is 525. In order for you to use a 520 chain your sprockets must match! You save in weight(lose weight) with the 520 chain and sprocket combo.

EDIT: Just checked and stock chain is 525.

Old 08-25-09, 00:33   #3
DieselDan
BOTM Winner

what he said

I have a 520 -1 and it makes a huge difference

Old 08-25-09, 00:49   #4
tripletrash
Banned

stock is 525, for street stay with stock. 520 is lighter for racing aplication

Old 12-15-09, 14:56   #5
TimV

I have a chain drive chain related question. What is the typical lifespan for the stock chain on a 2008 D675? I have almost 18,000 miles and I think it is time to replace mine. I measured across 20 links and I am pretty much at the max spec. Does this sound about right?

Also, does anyone else here run the RK 525XSO chain on their Daytona? I am thinking of that as a replacement. And just to confirm the stock size, it is 525 and 116 links, correct? Thanks!

Old 12-15-09, 18:24   #6
Tripped1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
I have a chain drive chain related question. What is the typical lifespan for the stock chain on a 2008 D675? I have almost 18,000 miles and I think it is time to replace mine. I measured across 20 links and I am pretty much at the max spec. Does this sound about right?

Also, does anyone else here run the RK 525XSO chain on their Daytona? I am thinking of that as a replacement. And just to confirm the stock size, it is 525 and 116 links, correct? Thanks!

18,000 is normal if you keep up with it, better loose then tight most of the time. Personally, I wouldn'tput a 520 on a street bike. You aren't going to be able to notice the difference in rolling weight, I would rather have the durability of the bigger chain. Like I said that is me. I DEFINITELY don't recommend aluminum sprockets. I've had the fronts shear all but a couple teeth inside 5000 track miles, and I was checking the chain EVERY time I took the bike out.

I've seen the lifetime warrantied ones a la AFRAM, but I have yet to see one on a bike in person, so I can't say if they are worth it or not. However, 22 years of motorcycles tells me no sprocket is going to last forever.

I have that exact RK in 530 on my Speed Triple, its been almost 7,000 miles since it needed adjustment. right now its sitting right around 10,000 since I put it on, and your sizing for the Daytona sounds right, but I didn't really look into it as its going to be a while before I need a chain on mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2faded View Post

.....says "not for street use" as well.. or it did till i grinded it off with the dremel

Old 12-15-09, 18:28   #7
Tripped1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamford View Post
I am in the market for just a chain. I'll need chain/sprockets next time.

My question is what is the difference in 520 and 525? I understand I need a 116 link chain for stock sprocket sizes but do I need 520 or 525?
The difference is the width of the centerbar roller. Between a 525 and a 520 there isn't going to be a huge difference. I doubt you would notice stock gearing 525 vice 520 stock gearing.

As above, you have to have 520 sprockets and chain. Otherwise the sprockets will destroy the chain in short order for either to much lateral slack or not being able to settle into the roller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2faded View Post

.....says "not for street use" as well.. or it did till i grinded it off with the dremel

Old 12-16-09, 09:33   #8
scott_0

525 is the stock size, but from my understanding, you can change sprockets w/o changing the chain but not the other way around. and FWIW I presently run a 520 conversion with a steel front and an aluminum rear and I havent had any strange wear issues, I also ran the same setup on my 2005 R6 from 2005 till present with no extreme wear issues

Valentino Rossi on Casey Stoner
"if he doesn't pass me on the straights, I won't have to pass him in the corners."

Valentino Rossi on his Laguna victory "I really only made one mistake, at the corkscrew when I went a bit wide but in fact the dirt had quite good grip also!"

Old 12-17-09, 19:50   #9
rogerio

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerio

If you go for 520 you'll need the whole set....actually every time that you mess with the final drive... do the whole set. The 520 will be lighter so will have better gyroscopic movement. The wheel will spin faster. If you decide to go for 520 DO NOT SAVE MONEY ON THE CHAIN!!! You're down sizing the final drive, but a good chain will do the service. Thre's one guy selling VORTEX sprokets. check the forum.

Old 12-17-09, 20:03   #10
GuJohnno

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerio View Post
Thre's one guy selling VORTEX sprokets. check the forum.
Riders Discount are selling then and they have an awsom deal on the DID ERV3 chains
Bike - SOLD :-( - Ozzy Knobs, Axle Armour, Twinlight Driver2, Ignitor Alarm, Fumoto Qwik Valve, Tuneboy, Skidmarx CF hugger, Super Bright LED's, Halo Platinum White globes, Clear tank protector, Pazza leavers, Jardine RT-1 CF/Ti exhaust, Hordpower collector, BMC road filter, 520 conversion, Renthanal front sprocket, Vortex rear sprocket, DID ERV3 chain, Stomp Grip tank pads, Stomp Grip Spine tank protector, Triumph rear seat cowl, Proton flush mount indicators, ZG DB, Cox Radiator guard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement