Quality Machine Co.lightened OEM rotors - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 08-05-09, 03:24   #1
nycstripes

Default Quality Machine Co.lightened OEM rotors

I just got my OEM rotors back from Jim at Quality Machine Co. He cut the front and rear rotors in a wave pattern for me. Can't mount them up yet, my forks are out for upgrades. Turn around time was just over a week.

Rear Rotor
$77 plus shipping costs
Front Rotors
$87 each plus shipping costs
Tax Included
Shipping Rates
$12 for one
$15 for two
$20 for three
Total Cost was $271 including return shipping for all three rotors.

http://qualitymachineco.com/Form/Order%20Form.pdf
Print out the online form and pack up your rotors and send the rotors to:
Jimmy Chance
Quality Machine Co
600 W Lathrop Ave
Savannah, Ga 31415
912-232-5680 office
http://qualitymachineco.com/
06 Daytona 675 track bike #489
Yoyodyne slipper, Penske double shock, GP Suspension tuned forks, lightned rotors by Quality Machine Co., Sharkskinz race bodywork, GPR Steering Damper, Vortex clip ons, Woodcraft GP rearsets, Giles chain adjusters, 520 chain/gear kit (0/+2), Woodcraft case covers, Pazo shorties, LightTech fuel cap, Tech-Spec, Engine Ice, LeoVince Ti Exhaust, decals by DrippinWet.com

Last edited by nycstripes; 08-05-09 at 10:24.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-09, 10:35   #2
pal2468

Looks good, when you decrease the rotor surface area, do you decrease the rotors performance in anyway? Post pics when you get your forks back.

Old 08-05-09, 10:41   #3
Bleakster

I had my rear rotor done by them. Great service!

The rear rotor lost 11 oz.

I'll post some pics of the rotor on the bike later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triumph rear brake rotor.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	10372  

Old 08-05-09, 10:48   #4
bean

Send a message via AIM to bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal2468 View Post
Looks good, when you decrease the rotor surface area, do you decrease the rotors performance in anyway? Post pics when you get your forks back.

+1 does this decrease performance? Is there any advantage braking other than aesthetics?

Old 08-05-09, 11:08   #5
Bleakster

In theory one would think that losing rotor surface area would decrease braking performance. Therefore, being unsure about this matter I decided not to do my front rotors. Doing the rear is not as big a deal since you dont use the rear brake all that much anyway. I was more interested in weight savings. Losing 10-11 ounces of rotating mass is like removing 2-3 lbs of total weight off the bike. (Depending on what formula you use.)

Notes:

One thing I did hear about maching out rotors in this fashion is that it tends to increase brake pad wear. (not sure how true this is)

Also, these types of rotors are not legal for some forms of racing.
For instance, AMA does not allow you to manipulate the outside edge of the rotor surface, while CCS does. To be 100% sure always check your rule books.

Old 08-05-09, 11:16   #6
Grady

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
+1 does this decrease performance? Is there any advantage braking other than aesthetics?
You supposedly end up with a brake setup that will be less prone to fading because the disc has a larger surface area for the heat to radiate away. That is along with the benefits of having less rotational mass. But I am not sure if those benefits are enough to cancel out the loss of some surface area for the pads to bite on. Kawasaki seems to think it works and so offer them on the ZX's, the other manufacturers not so much.

Old 08-05-09, 11:41   #7
nycstripes

I will post my findings after my next track day later this month. Since I have two sets of rotors, I can afford to play with these and revert back to OEM rotors if I need to. I would imagine that they can't be that much different than the aftermarket wave rotors out there at much less cost.
06 Daytona 675 track bike #489
Yoyodyne slipper, Penske double shock, GP Suspension tuned forks, lightned rotors by Quality Machine Co., Sharkskinz race bodywork, GPR Steering Damper, Vortex clip ons, Woodcraft GP rearsets, Giles chain adjusters, 520 chain/gear kit (0/+2), Woodcraft case covers, Pazo shorties, LightTech fuel cap, Tech-Spec, Engine Ice, LeoVince Ti Exhaust, decals by DrippinWet.com

Old 08-05-09, 12:11   #8
shmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleakster View Post
Also, these types of rotors are not legal for some forms of racing.
For instance, AMA does not allow you to manipulate the outside edge of the rotor surface, while CCS does. To be 100% sure always check your rule books.
Depends on what class you are running.

CCS does not allow for changing/machining of front rotors in many classes which is why mine aren't done.

The ones posted here look great, though. I should send my rear to them.

Old 08-05-09, 12:38   #9
morsetaper2

from an engineers perspective...

F=u*N, where...

u=friction coefficient between the pad & rotor, a function of both materials

N=Normal force, AKA the force pushing the rotor and pad surface together, caused by the caliper piston, reduced by any flex in the system

F=Force of friction, AKA the resultant braking force that slows the bike down

Looking at that equation, when the force applied by the caliper goes up, or the friction coefficient is increased, you get more braking force to slow you down.

The Normal force "N", may be substituted by: N=P/A

P=Pressure of the pad material on the rotor surface

A=Area of pad contacting rotor surface

Substituting terms the resulting equation can be written:

F=u*P/A

Reduce the area, the force of friction goes up, equating better stopping power. I think this is a gross oversimplification, I'm reluctant to fully believe in this w/o some hard testing data. What you can be sure of is that more heat per unit volume will end up into the rotor if more braking force "F" is achieved. You also have to have a sufficiently rigid and stiff fork/caliper mount to take advantage of additional braking force gains.

Also, when rotors get hot, they warp, misbehave, braking performance decreases, etc, etc.

In a track situation, the rotors will get used much more severely than your usual street situation. Barring the availability of any hard data, I would look at the SS rotors of the top team(s) that run in a series that allow complete rotor modification to determine the safe, useful, and appropriate level to modify your stock rotors.

But in the end, I think most of you guys would be better served putting your fat ass on a diet!

Old 08-05-09, 15:00   #10
Bleakster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Depends on what class you are running.

CCS does not allow for changing/machining of front rotors in many classes which is why mine aren't done.

The ones posted here look great, though. I should send my rear to them.
Thanks for the tip!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement