12,000 mile service - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 06-12-09, 20:13   #1
TimV

Default 12,000 mile service

My 2008 Daytona is quickly approaching the 12K mile mark, so I'll be getting it serviced soon. I am wondering how much I should expect to pay for this service if I get it done at the dealer? Also, how difficult is it to do yourself? I imagine I would need the service manual. What about special tools? What can I expect to pay for just the parts for the service if I were to do the labor myself? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-09, 02:04   #2
Shaiwun

I've read it cost most people about 600 to 700 bucks. Doing it yourself is invloves a lot but you can if you know what your doing. Others will chime in though i'm sure.

Old 06-13-09, 02:09   #3
shaunthesoundguy

You'll need a tuneboy or a whatever the dealer's similar device is called (though not as cool as tuneboy) to perform some of the checks/adjustments involved with the 12k service. In the end buying one is still cheaper than what the dealer charges, and it is a good investment.
I'm have an extremely basic wrenching knowledge and did the 6k myself. With the manual and this forum I'd bet you could do yours. I'm at 9k, and really hope I'll the have money to do that myself before I run out of miles and have to park her....

Old 06-13-09, 03:03   #4
Sparker

It's about ~$600-700 for a shop, easily the cost of doing it yourself+manual+parts+a tuneboy. I am doing this right now on my 07, and I have about 8 hours in it so far (following the manual... and I'm not a trained mechanic). I have everything done but the oil change, brakes and headstock bearing ($500.00 so far including the tuneboy). The hardest part is checking the valve clearances. If they are good, then it is smooth sailing, otherwise it can get ugly.

The biggest benefit of doing it yourself is that by the end you have all the tools and experience for the same or less than it would cost you at a shop... and you get a tuneboy!

If you have trouble checking your own oil I would suggest taking it to a dealer, otherwise read the manual step by step and your golden. PM me if you need help, I might be able to help you out since I am doing it myself.

Last edited by Sparker; 06-13-09 at 03:44.

Old 06-14-09, 23:09   #5
farnoush

Do it yourself. It's not difficult at all if you have the tools and the know how. I've heard of dealers doing the service and not actually checking the valve spec.

Old 06-14-09, 23:41   #6
dmarino

Send a message via AIM to dmarino

I just had mine done at 13.5k and the valves were good. It ended up costing $560 out the door.

Old 06-15-09, 01:29   #7
TimTuned

I have an appointment in July for my 12k. The dealership told me I could save a ton of money by: taking off the bodywork, changing the oil & coolant, and some other minor adjustments that don't involve the engine. Otherwise, I'm letting them handle the engine tuning (since they gave me an extended warranty). Adjusting the valves is where the $ comes in.

Old 06-15-09, 03:55   #8
undercover_skank

Send a message via AIM to undercover_skank

thats pricy. im sure you can do it yourself with a service manual. mine is approaching quick also! im pretty mechanicall inclined. im probably going to do it myself. valve adjustments arent that complicated. theres just not as much space as working on a car. anyone in socal wanna give me a hand? ha

Old 06-15-09, 04:26   #9
doublen675

Is there a step-by-step on the 12k service somewhere? That would be a nice "How-To" for somebody to do who knows what the hell they are doing. Hint, hint...

/
//Double "N"
The Exhaust Reference Thread - My Thread - All About Oil
Bike of the Month Submissions...
"When Life Throw's You a Curve...Lean Into It."

Old 06-15-09, 17:34   #10
lukemillar

People shouldn't just look at it as:

"It costs X amount in a Triumph dealer therefore, if I do it then I will save X $ or be able to buy myself a Tuneboy in the process"

You're buying mechanical experience which if you don't have, can end up costing you more than the $600 odd it would've done in the first place! I'm not saying don't do it yourself - Just be honest with yourself about your own mechanical abilities (and owning the correct tools) rather than blindly looking at the $ numbers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement