Fork Oil Level - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications

Modifications Please select the appropriate Sub-forum for your post or thread

Old 05-08-09, 17:23   #1
Bikoman

Default Fork Oil Level

I am about to replace the fork oil in my 2007 675. The manual says 72mm which seems to high too me. All my other bikes are as follows Aprilia with showas - 118mm, ZX6R with Showas - 115mm, heck even my Buell with showas is 118mm. What are other trackday rider/racers who are using the stock forks using for a level?

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-09, 18:49   #2
d3m0

I did whatever the manual said.

This tool should make it a lot easier, as well: http://www.mxdeals.com/tool-level-oi...tech-race.html

I didn't have that at the time, unfortunately I had to use a turkey baster, lol :)

Make sure you pump the cylinder inside the fork until it gets so stiff that you can barely pump it anymore, then fill it to what it says in the manual.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-09, 18:59   #3
Vitabrew

Don't fill to 72mm. When I first swapped my fork oil I filled to that level as per the book and it was way too stiff. I was gradually lowering the level till I got to 110 and that felt good again so I stopped there.

FWIW I had my forks revalved by Thermosman this winter (aka Ohlins USA) and he filled it to 120mm. I've only been to the track twice since then but it feels better than ever, no doubt some of that due to the new parts but some may be due to the lower fluid level.

Old 05-08-09, 19:21   #4
Bikoman

Thanks

For my level tool, I use a plastic tube marked with a sharpie at the level I need with my mity-vac providing suction, quick and easy.

Old 05-09-09, 21:48   #5
Syks7

Send a message via MSN to Syks7

110 is what I was told by Dave Moss, so I'm pretty sure thats whats in there.

Old 05-10-09, 02:19   #6
canyondancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitabrew View Post
Don't fill to 72mm. When I first swapped my fork oil I filled to that level as per the book and it was way too stiff. I was gradually lowering the level till I got to 110 and that felt good again so I stopped there.

FWIW I had my forks revalved by Thermosman this winter (aka Ohlins USA) and he filled it to 120mm. I've only been to the track twice since then but it feels better than ever, no doubt some of that due to the new parts but some may be due to the lower fluid level.
Way back in 06 Thermosman did my forks and he said the same thing. Factory recommendation is too high. Don't know how much oil he put in....but Thermosman is a genius.

Old 05-10-09, 02:22   #7
zangman

One more recommendation. When I do the oil I don't go by height. I actually put the 495cc in it. I also measured what came out and it wasn't even close. Just an idea.

Old 05-10-09, 21:41   #8
Vitabrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by zangman View Post
One more recommendation. When I do the oil I don't go by height. I actually put the 495cc in it. I also measured what came out and it wasn't even close. Just an idea.
Some fluid can get trapped in the fork when you drain it and so if you add 495cc you will end up overfilling it. A fluid level tool can be picked up for $30 but a simple ruler and flashlight allows you to accurately measure the level too.

Old 05-11-09, 04:36   #9
mervtheswerve

What weight oil do you guys use for track riding only.
using maxima products but would appreciate your recommendation and specs also.
currently using standard forks

Old 05-11-09, 22:09   #10
Vitabrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervtheswerve View Post
What weight oil do you guys use for track riding only.
using maxima products but would appreciate your recommendation and specs also.
currently using standard forks
5w oil

Sponsored Links
Advertisement