How To: Measure Valve Clearances - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > How To's

Old 01-11-09, 00:49   #1
usnawolfe

Send a message via AIM to usnawolfe
Default How To: Measure Valve Clearances

These are some pictures I took a while back when I measured my valves clearances.....figure I'd see if I could make a write-up out of them. Keep in mind this is my first time checking valve clearances, but I was armed with a decent array of tools and the factory manual, so I felt confident I could get through it. Any way here it goes:

1. Take off side fairings (or upper sharkskinz fairing in my case).

Nothing fancy Here, just undress the bike since it makes access to everything much easier.

2. Remove Tank

Remove the two bolts with a 5mm allen key, then the rear tank bolt with a 8mm socket. Then use the bolt's threads to "grab" onto the long metal spacer the bolt was just in to remove the spacer. Next I tilt the tank of its side (if there's a good deal of fuel, it will start to leak from the hoses attached to it, so be quick) and disconnect the two black hoses, two electrical connections, and fuel line. There's a good write up on this on the site if you need pictures, but it's pretty straight forward.

3. Remove Airbox

Disconnect all the electrical connections on the airbox. Should be four of them. 3 on top and 1 on the rear side (also, there's an airhose attached to that underneath that last connection.

Next, unscrew all the small screws holding the top of the airbox on (I believe it's something strange like 7mm). Remove the top, and you'll see the airfilter and the velocity stacks (or intake trumpets, or whatever you'd like to call them). Each stack is held on by two screws. Use a 4mm allen key to remove them (since they actually attach the airbox to the throttle bodies). Next, remove the 1 bolt in front of the air box and the two large hoses on each side of the airbox (I'm pointing to one below right after I took it off). After this you may remove the airbox.

3. Remove Throttle Bodies

The manual calls for removing the throttle bodies in order to remove the cam cover. I don't know if this is entirely necessary, I'm betting you could just remove the throttle cable bracket, but I decided to do it by the book. First thing, remove all the electrical connections you can from the throttle bodies. I believe there are 4 of them.

The crappy part about moving the throttle bodies is getting to the clamps holding each of the "transition pieces." There is a tiny 3mm allen bolt holding on each clamp. I used a long extension with a allen socket to reach the number 2 and 3 throttle bodies (2nd and 3rd from clutch side). and a 3mm allen key to get the number 1 clamp. It's tight and they're very hard to see, so make sure you have some good light. After you loosen the clamps, use your man hands to pull up on the throttle bodies until they pop off. They'll still be connected to the throttle cables, so you can just hang them off the side out of the way.

4. Remove Cam Cover (and ignition coils/spark plugs)

Ok, now that we have room, we can remove the cam cover. First, we have to remove the igntion coils. Before, remove some things to give us some room. Namely, the big hoses attached and the fairing brackets mounted to the left and right side of the frame. Below, I've already removed two of the coils.

After you've removed the stuff in your way, just pull up on the coils and they'll pop out. Next use a spark plug socket (I forget the size, it's whatever came with my craftsmen set) and a socket extension to remove the spark plugs. Before you do this, it's usually a good idea to spray compressed air to blow out all the dirt and small pebbles that could possible fall into your engine (bad). I remove the spark plugs because it makes it easier to turn the engine over.

Next, loosen the cam cover in the order shown in the service manual (if you don't have one of those, go get one right now. Seriously, don't be cheap ). Lift off the cam cover and be cognizant of any small metal dowls that may be left either in the gasket, the cover or in the cam ladder.

Here's the gasket:

Here is what you got:

5. Remove right side engine cover

You remove this so you can turn the engine over which you'll need to do to check all the different valves. Quick note, the manual says to just put the bike in a hear gear and rotate the rear wheel to turn the engine, but I like my way better. Remove all the bolts with an 8mm socket, pull it off. Hopefully the gasket will be in good shape (mine was) and you won't have to replace it. I used a 6mm allen to turn the engine while checking the valves. Some oil will drip out, so place a rag underneath to avoid a mess.

6. Check valves (finally!)

Turn the engine until two pairs of cam lobes are pointing opposite the buckets. Take your feeler gauge and measure the clearance between the bottom of the lobes and the buckets. Note the size of the largest feeler gauge to fit and the next size that wouldn't fit and if that range falls within the service specs those valves are good to go. Rotate the engine until a new set of lobes are pointing up and repeat the measurement. Take note, it gets pretty tight sometimes, so you'll have to bend the feeler gauges around 45 degrees sometimes to get em in there. Just be VERY patient and measure twice. Pray that everything is in spec, otherwise you have even more work ahead of you. I personally had one of my exhaust valves too loose, so I'm gonna have to pull the shim and measure it, and get a replacement shim. At least I know why there's a slight ticking sound coming from my engine (it's not the cam chain).

7. Put it back together

Ok, valves are measured and you took great notes, and everything is as it should be. Congrats. Turn the engine over until the timing marks match up (Good diagram in the service manual). Mine don't quite match up, which means the guy who put my engine together for warranty service didn't do his job right. Replace the cam cover, and tighten in the reverse order as before. Replace your sparkplugs, coils, fairing brackets, and air hoses. Next, you'll be putting your throttle bodies back on. Just wiggle em back in to their clamps. Put some muscle into it and make sure they're all the way down in the clamps. Use your socket wrench w/ extension and allen key to tighten the clamps again. Plug in all the electrical connections. Next, replace the air box. Make sure the throttle cables are properly routed, if the throttle opens and closes as normal you're probably good. (It goes over some hoses and under under others, take pictures or make mental notes). Replace the the velocity stacks with 4mm allen, then the top of the airbox with the screws (7mm socket). Reattach all the electrical connections. I put the tank on its side again, and attach all the connections and hoses (take care with the fuel line, and don't break the white connector on the fuel pump). Put the spacer in the rear, tighten the rear bolt, and the two front bolts. Usually I do a quick test to make sure everything runs alright before I actually put the bolts in. If all is good. Replace the fairings and go enjoy a beverage of your choice.

Last edited by Budo; 07-18-10 at 03:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usnawolfe For This Useful Post:
D__ (07-27-14), MidwesterneRR (04-07-14)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-09, 07:56   #2
Scooter Scott
(RIP) Wiser than you I was

Thumbs up

Great how-to. Needs to be a sticky.

Carbon fiber, the new crack?

Old 01-11-09, 22:57   #3
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

Will...you are my best friend!!! This is something I was about to do:notworthy ::notw orthy:

+1 on the sticky.

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Old 01-11-09, 22:58   #4
canyondancer

Hey Will...how come you are wearing your wifes dishwashing gloves? Afraid to get your hands dirty?

Old 01-11-09, 23:24   #5
usnawolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyondancer View Post
Hey Will...how come you are wearing your wifes dishwashing gloves? Afraid to get your hands dirty?

You know me, always trying to maintain the highest level of prettiness at all times.

Old 01-11-09, 23:28   #6
usnawolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
Will...you are my best friend!!! This is something I was about to do:notworthy ::notw orthy:

+1 on the sticky.

If you need any help or want space/tools to do it, let me know. Don't mind sharing my garage to help a brother out.

Old 01-12-09, 00:11   #7
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

I actually was thinking about getting your help with this. Lets touch base and find out a good day to get this done

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Old 01-12-09, 14:31   #8
PragB

Send a message via AIM to PragB

Great how-to... Thanks for all the info... I bookmarked this post...

Old 01-13-09, 13:41   #9
superlight
MacGyver / BOTM / BOTY Winner

Quote:
You know me, always trying to maintain the highest level of prettiness at all times.
I gotta try to remember that. Good info, Will.

Old 01-13-09, 16:22   #10
nathan

Thanks for that.. Champion effort! It's one of the "big" jobs that I've been building up to, and now there's a guide on the ol' trusty 675.net site, well..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement