Anyone ride a 959 - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-06-17, 16:54
Mr.Blanco

I don't understand how you guys are saying the ergos on the 959 are more aggressive then a Daytona 675; They're not! I was able to log just under 3k miles on my 959. The bike feels amazing! I broke mine in riding 200 miles in each of the riding modes (Wet,Sport,Race) once I achieved Race, I never reverted to another mode; The thing is ALIVE in Race! Look, feel, & sound are all there. In my opinion there's no better looking bike offered in the market then the Panigale, & it's been the case since 2011. Fit, & finish is far from subpar, everything is well place, & thought out, except for the mirrors which are hard mounted; I live in NYC, & snapped one off lane splitting. Sound is impressive in stock form, you almost don't need an aftermarket unit, but once you upgrade, it's even more intoxicating, & lustful. I'll agree, under 5-6k rpm, the 959 is not where it wants to be, 8k and above is it's happy zone, you'll be grinning uncontrollably behind your helmet, & might even drib a bit of drool out of pure joy. You might ask "Why didn't you buy another 959 if you loved it so much?" Simple, I already experienced the bike, & life is too short not to try new things. The next move was a Premium S1KRR, but I didn't want to finance, so I opted to buy a D675R outright to hold me off, & cross it off the list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 04-06-17, 17:39
hiimchad

Garage
My reasoning for deeming the 959 ergos to be more aggressive was based in the fact that I was using my wrists a lot more to support myself on the test ride, due to how on top of the bike you are, how small the tank is, and how far back and high up the pegs are. I remember the foot positioning very distinctly, thinking it felt like much more of a race position, where you need to be far back in the seat and tucked behind or around the windscreen to be comfortable. The bars are set up much wider than the Daytona's, but that wasn't very apparent to me because I've had aftermarket clip-ons that are set at similar angles. Yes, you get more leverage, but you also have to reach farther for them than on a Daytona. Of course, this is my opinion and your mileage will vary. I rode the bike for 20-30 minutes, maybe used sporty body position 4 or 5 times. Also, I'm 6'3" for reference.

On another note, yes, the kickstand was a bit challenging to get out when getting off the bike. Another thing that kind of bothered me was the shock rubbing against my left leg while going over bumps. Not something you would notice while riding the bike sportingly, but just in a casual riding position on the street I was thinking about it a lot.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-06-17, 18:26
Mr.Blanco

Maybe it might be due to height. I'm 5'8, & felt right at home on the bike. One of my boys has a 959 too, he's 5'11 & complains about a bit of wrist discomfort, but deemed it's because he works out six days a week. The stand is tricky at first until you discover the trick, I discovered this on my own, the kick stand rests right underneath the foot peg, once you remember that, you'll rarely miss it again. The bars on the 959 are a bit wider, & taller, which I like, on the D675 I feel they're a lot lower, & more of a reach. As far as the rear strut reservoir, I can't recall of a time I felt it was in the way. As I've stated before, its biggest caveat for me was the serious heat it emits. I hate to admit it, but I had to be a squid on hot summer days. Otherwise, it's an awesome bike.

post #14 of 17 Old 04-07-17, 20:10 Thread Starter
mikego_34
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Test Rode the 959

Alright, so I just came back from the test ride on the 959 Panigale, and ill give what I hope is a decent unbiased breakdown starting with:

Looks: Gotta start with it because its what originally attracted me to ducati. Putting it simply the 959 has the daytona in the looks department for me.

Power: Here is what suprised me the most, I thought the 959 would feel way more powerful. It was definitely more torquey but the lower rev engine makes me think the daytona might be closer than most would think when comparing them on paper. Negligible difference in power in my opinion. ( and yes i put the 959 in race mode)

Handling: I gotta say the daytona has it on handling. The daytona seems to have a lot more flickability. Not sure if maybe it would just take time to learn how to get the 959 to lean easier but based in my first ride it felt more difficult to lean at higher speeds than my daytona does. One thing I noticed here is that the daytona feels top heavy at slow speeds and the 959 feels light at slow speeds. I wonder if its that the center of gravity is higher on the daytona which makes it more flickable at higher speeds but obviously makes it more cumbersome at slow speed maneuvers.

Ergos : The daytona is pretty much equal to the 959 in ergos the daytona has a slightly more aggressive posture but softer seat. I didnt notice the heat issue everyone talks about on the 959 but it was a little colder out today at around 75F. I did notice slight more pressure in my wrist because I was having trouble using my legs to grip the tank on the 959. Not sure if tank pads would help here. Negligible difference here as well as I think I could get just as comfortable with the 959 after riding it a while, with the stipulation that the tank grips would allow you to use your legs more.

Character and overall rideability:
They both have a very unique character and exhaust notes the twin sounds pretty grunty/deep and the daytona has the whirl that sounds almost like its turbocharged. The 959 clutch was strange though I could not seem to get the friction zone right. It would probably just take time to figure out. Torque is the x factor here for me it always makes a bike more fun and the 959 has lots of it. The daytona feels much smoother than the 959 in terms of engine response and vibration though. Equal marks here for me between the 959 and daytona.

Electronic Features. The 959 has it easily. Another x factor for me here is that I could put the bike in wet mode and let my girlfriend ride it. Its tame enough for her in wet mode, I cant do that with the daytona.

Brakes: Forgot to talk about brakes. 959 seems to have alot more breaking power. Especially on the initial bite. No complaints on either bikes braking but the 959 has the edge here.

Final decision: As with anything price is a huge factor. The bikes really are about on par for me and I really dont think I am being biased because I still want the 959 for the sheer beauty that no one can deny (even the red one was tempting). I love the 959 still and will probably keep my eye out and continue drooling over it on the forums pictures, but in speaking with the dealership they were already wanting in excess of 18k for it. If anything its a 16k OTD bike for me with some extras thrown in on the deal also. Didnt haggle much with the sales guy cuz I am not ready quite yet anyways. Overall I am leaning towards staying with the Daytona but will see how tempted I get when I see all those Panigales at Moto GP here soon : )
post #15 of 17 Old 04-08-17, 18:39
luciano136

I think your impressions were pretty much in line with mine. I thought it would blow me away compared to the 675 but it didn't. To me, it was a prettier high maintenance 675, so I passed on it. If I wanted an Italian middleweight, I would go with the MV Agusta F3 800.
The Following User Says Thank You to luciano136 For This Useful Post:
hiimchad (04-08-17)
post #16 of 17 Old 04-08-17, 18:58
Glocken

at that price I'm going to aprilia; panis look nice but that's basically all they are too me, artwork.

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
The Following User Says Thank You to Glocken For This Useful Post:
hiimchad (04-08-17)
post #17 of 17 Old 04-08-17, 23:45
DarkHorse675

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimchad View Post
Another thing that kind of bothered me was the shock rubbing against my left leg while going over bumps. Not something you would notice while riding the bike sportingly, but just in a casual riding position on the street I was thinking about it a lot.
I sat on one at a dealer when I was just making a casual enquiry (I ended up with my third Daytona, so I don't really know why I bothered!) and the shock dug straight into my inner thigh as soon as I stood the bike up. For that to happen at every set of lights let alone moving around to corner was enough to cross it off my list. My experience with two generations of Daytona with underseat exhausts also made the 959 a concern, with the new D675R low-slung pipe a big selling point for the Australian summer.

I'm only 5"9, and I find the Daytona downright comfortable for 500km+ days as long as the roads are interesting.

You only live once, but live right and once is enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement