Triumph 675 Forums banner

Bamboo's "slowly but surely" bike build

10K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Bamboo671 
#1 · (Edited)
I wouldn't call it a bike build since I'm not starting from the ground up. It's more of a log of all the things I'm adding to her as I am able to. I wanted to do this with my previous Daytona but never got around to it. I'm also a bit late to this one. I have a few things on her and added more today! I'll update things as I get to them.

I never really thought I would be on the 2013 Daytona! When they were first announced and pictures revealed, I didn't like them. They started to grow on me but I already had my 2008 Daytona which was paid off with a few mods on it already. I just didn't see it in my near future! Until, a young lady for whatever reason she had, made a left turn on her red arrow and I clipped the front of her car! As any rider would feel, the first thing I was worried about was how bad the bike was! Bwahahaha! Looking back on it and going through some pictures I took immediately after the accident, I'm incredibly lucky to have walked away with just a few bruised and sore ribs!

So shopping for my new bike started almost immediately! My wife wasn't too happy about it but I told myself and her that I wasn't going to be scared from this. Although a little PTSD did kick in, I forced myself to get over it quickly.

Here she is the day I got her off the lot! March 15, 2013 with 6 miles on the odometer!

(PIC IN ATTACHMENTS)

This is her bone stock after my 42-ish mile ride from the dealer. Man I was a happy islander!

(PIC IN ATTACHMENTS)

Here is the list of current mods installed (performance/cosmetic):
For now I will list the mods but will get pics up soon:
GB Racing engine covers
GR Racing rear spools
Tech Spec Snakeskin
MWR HE air filter
Driven block-off plates
1050 throttle tube
Rapid Bike Evo module
Decatted headers
Zero Gravity Corsa screen
Evol Technology rearsets
Arrow Conical Race exhaust

Mods I'm looking to buy or I have and need to install:

DEI Reflect-A-Gold on air box and under tank
Samco hose kit
GB Racing front axle sliders
Evol Technology tangent clip-ons
Evol Technology lever guard
Manual idle adjuster

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That's one of the bits I installed today. I haven't taken the bike out for a run yet but I'm excited. Everything...EVERYTHING I've read about the RB modules has been nothing but positive. I almost went with the PCV since I'm here in Vegas, where their HQ'd but I had some issues with a bit of their (ESRM-2) that kind of make me second guess them. I know they're tried and true for most folks that use them but I didn't want to go that route. Then I looked into BAZZAZ since their module is less expensive than the PCV and controls the upper injectors as well! Honestly the only reason I went with the RB Evo is because of folks like Hustle Hard Racing (they used to race a 2013 Daytona) used it and EDR uses it for their bikes. I mean when these two companies who build and race bikes speak highly of it, I went ahead and took the leap.

My understanding of the RB module is it adjust or self maps on the fly. Just like the PCV and the BAZZAZ but the difference is you have to buy those additional bits to get that function. I think though with the others, you still have to go back to your laptop and make some fine adjustments but I'm not sure since I've never owned one. Just the fact that I didn't have to buy additional parts to get that function made it easier to make the decision. Everything is in one small casing. The size of a regular piggyback system.

The module comes with a baseline (if you will) map loaded. The self-mapping feature refines everything as you go. I'll let you know what the butt dyno tells me tomorrow when I ride to work. Install was pretty straight forward and easy. I sat down and just ID'd all the plugs before I got to it and then went at it. It took me about an hour and that's a guesstimate at best because I was working on the block-off plates also. All the plugs you would need are included and I didn't have any issues with plugs not fitting. I have a pic of it installed but it's nothing cosmic or mind blowing. It's just like any other system that gets velcro'd to the bike in the tail section.

In the end, I took a considerable amount of time before buying this. Damn near over a year of reading and comparing specs, features, reviews from average Joes, racers, and bike builders!

#4 · (Edited)
Regarding the RB Evo. I don't have too many mods on the bike to notice a huge difference in regards to power. I did notice that the delivery of power throughout the power band is very smooth! It's very noticeable at the lower RPM range where there's typically a dip, around the 4k-5k range. Another noticeable change is the smoothness in engine braking. I always blip, just a habit and second nature for me at this point. It's very smooth when decelerating. Not that big of a jolt from the engine braking. Maybe I'll see a difference once I get the decat'd headers and exhaust on.

Oh, and this came in the mail yesterday! Need to find someone to make me a link pipe from the headers to can!

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
Having discussed about some things raised above before, like throttle smoothness and engine braking with some other guys over here at the forum, I've got to say you've got my attention with this module. I'll ask some questions:

1. Does it give you the ability to actually look at (and fiddle with) the various fueling maps with a laptop?

2. Does the auto-tuning function happen via a wide-band exhaust sensor or does it use the stock narrow band one?

3. Did you feel any inconsistency in throttle response or subtle jolts of power or "plastic" throttle feeling while riding? I'm asking because these symptoms are typical of bikes running in closed-loop mode.

4. Where did you get it from? Should I turn to their site or are there perhaps any dealers that sell at lower prices?

Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
Having discussed about some things raised above before, like throttle smoothness and engine braking with some other guys over here at the forum, I've got to say you've got my attention with this module. I'll ask some questions:

1. Does it give you the ability to actually look at (and fiddle with) the various fueling maps with a laptop?

2. Does the auto-tuning function happen via a wide-band exhaust sensor or does it use the stock narrow band one?

3. Did you feel any inconsistency in throttle response or subtle jolts of power or "plastic" throttle feeling while riding? I'm asking because these symptoms are typical of bikes running in closed-loop mode.

4. Where did you get it from? Should I turn to their site or are there perhaps any dealers that sell at lower prices?

Thanks in advance.
1. Everything I've read doesn't show or discuss the ability for the user to adjust fueling. There is the Rapid Bike Master but I think that's for dealer/tuner use with the proper dyno equipment.

2. Stock narrow band sensor. I provided some links after all this that hopefully fills a lot of the gaps of information I'm leaving.

3. It may be a mental thing but the throttle does seem more crisp. Like I mentioned, the most noticeable difference is during downshifting and the smoothness of power delivery.

4. I bought mine from Hustle Hard Racing. Great group of guys and gals based out of Idaho. I hit them up via Facebook. EDR also uses and sells them. My understanding is both if not all companies will have to place the order from Rapid Bike USA. You may be able to get it directly from them cheaper but can't confirm.

http://rapidbike.us/about

http://rapidbike.us/p/faq

im still not sold on the whole gold foil. I don't think you're really going to gain anything from doing it for the amount of time invested to doing it.
I think you're correct. The gain is only minimal but this mod is one of the things I want to do because the cool kids like Riders Discount did it! LOL! It more than likely is one of the last things I do.

Reactions: Plasmablaster
#8 ·
Are you going to switch to a wide band sensor with the new exhaust? I just got my RB evo yesterday and I'mgoing to install it with my exhaust over spring break in like 2 weeks. My issue is the exhaust has an 18mm wide band bung and the stock sensor is 12mm from my understanding. I'd rather upgrade the sensor if I can but this is my first leap into these mods and have no idea where to even begin looking for the sensor.

#9 ·
I don't plan on it, honestly. I don't know what the effects will be by switching to a wide band when the system is meant to run on the stock O2 sensor. If you have Facebook you could always ask the question to the RB USA folks. They have always entertained my questions...and I've had plenty of them!

#13 ·
1st off that is some serious welding. I was thinking to decat all you would need to do is cut the cat out and weld one sleeve to the existing piece . Wow was I wrong that is a LOT of work a lot of time. My hat goes off to that man.

Now for my questions back to you Bamboo.
1. (Not a question.)Your new picture is so god dam creepy! Every time I see it BAM ha.

2. How is the bike now without the cat and how has it been running with your new RB unit? Has the self map worked like you thought it would?

3. On your other bike did you have a piggy back or did you just use a map to the ECU without a dyno run map?

4. Finally last for today. How does this bike compare to your last one? I have a 13 DR and love it. I never ridden an older one but love the looks of pre 13 much more that the new ones. It's still a sexy bike but lacks the sharper edge in front.

#14 ·
@ShaLaMae

1st off that is some serious welding. I was thinking to decat all you would need to do is cut the cat out and weld one sleeve to the existing piece . Wow was I wrong that is a LOT of work a lot of time. My hat goes off to that man.

Now for my questions back to you Bamboo.
1. (Not a question.)Your new picture is so god dam creepy! Every time I see it BAM ha.

Yeah, every time I see it come across my Facebook timeline I cringe!

2. How is the bike now without the cat and how has it been running with your new RB unit? Has the self map worked like you thought it would?

It's been great! The delivery of power is smoother for sure. On decel the bike is smoother also. I also have the SAI block-offs and I imagine it's adjusted well to that also.

3. On your other bike did you have a piggy back or did you just use a map to the ECU without a dyno run map?

I did not. One of the things I miss about the older gen bikes is the ability to use TunECU and load maps.

4. Finally last for today. How does this bike compare to your last one? I have a 13 DR and love it. I never ridden an older one but love the looks of pre 13 much more that the new ones. It's still a sexy bike but lacks the sharper edge in front.

Honestly, I am just a daily commuter with the occasional track day. That being said, I know I didn't come close to tapping into the full potential of the bike (call me a wuss, it's okay!)! The 2013 in comparison feels more nimble. Maybe it's mental but when I first hopped on the '13, if I thought of going a direction, it went!

Hope I answered all you needed. Feel free to ask away anytime!

#15 · (Edited)
Pics of the newly installed items! The rearsets are just mocked up for now. Once I get the positions perfect, I will Loctite them down. Don't mind the plug held on by blue tape! It's the stock brake switch that I will be removing. Aftermarket rearsets going on a bike with ABS system is a PITA by the way.

Attachments

#16 ·
Dropped it off at a welder for the exhaust. Should look something like the pics when complete.

Attachments

#22 ·
It sounds amazing! I'll get a vid of it up. The GoPro was on the front of the bike but you could still hear it nicely!

Brian was smoking me! I need to work on my exit corner throttle response!

#23 ·
Suggestions/Help

Anyone know where I can get exhaust mesh or know of a good alternative to seal a tiny gap from the headers to the exhaust can? Thanks in advance!

#27 ·
I wouldn't call it a bike build since I'm not starting from the ground up. It's more of a log of all the things I'm adding to her as I am able to. I wanted to do this with my previous Daytona but never got around to it. I'm also a bit late to this one. I have a few things on her and added more today! I'll update things as I get to them.

I never really thought I would be on the 2013 Daytona! When they were first announced and pictures revealed, I didn't like them. They started to grow on me but I already had my 2008 Daytona which was paid off with a few mods on it already. I just didn't see it in my near future! Until, a young lady for whatever reason she had, made a left turn on her red arrow and I clipped the front of her car! As any rider would feel, the first thing I was worried about was how bad the bike was! Bwahahaha! Looking back on it and going through some pictures I took immediately after the accident, I'm incredibly lucky to have walked away with just a few bruised and sore ribs!

So shopping for my new bike started almost immediately! My wife wasn't too happy about it but I told myself and her that I wasn't going to be scared from this. Although a little PTSD did kick in, I forced myself to get over it quickly.

Here she is the day I got her off the lot! March 15, 2013 with 6 miles on the odometer!

(PIC IN ATTACHMENTS)

This is her bone stock after my 42-ish mile ride from the dealer. Man I was a happy islander!

(PIC IN ATTACHMENTS)

Here is the list of current mods installed (performance/cosmetic):
For now I will list the mods but will get pics up soon:
GB Racing engine covers
GR Racing rear spools
Tech Spec Snakeskin
MWR HE air filter
Bamboo screen tool
Driven block-off plates
1050 throttle tube
Rapid Bike Evo module
Decatted headers
Zero Gravity Corsa screen
Evol Technology rearsets
Arrow Conical Race exhaust

Mods I'm looking to buy or I have and need to install:

DEI Reflect-A-Gold on air box and under tank
Samco hose bamboo screen kit
GB Racing front axle sliders
Evol Technology tangent clip-ons
Evol Technology lever guard
Manual idle adjuster
It looks awesome... I love it... When you finished this is be very unique motorcycle ;)

#28 ·
Reviving this thread as I start to take care of things for her! The last time I rode the bike was summer of 2018! I have new things I want to do to her as well. I'll keep everyone posted.