Sky King sliders - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications

Modifications Please select the appropriate Sub-forum for your post or thread

Old 07-16-08, 12:44   #1
seanogee
Race Team Sponsor

Default Sky King sliders

I finally got to try out my Sky King frame sliders the other day. One lane road, cold and wet, fine grit on the road (a dry section of pavement, even worse than wet with cold, wet tires) and a pick-up truck wanting to be where I was.
The right side slider did an excellent job of protecting my bodywork, just a few scratches. However, the slider offset bent, pushing it into the cam cover, thoroughly destroying it and donating most of my oil to the pavement.
The part is "unavailable" (not in the warehouse) so it is back ordered. Another track day canceled-two days at Atlanta next week!
There was some discussion here about those offsets and how they would hold up. Well, now I know for sure. Be really careful about your sliders and don't under estimate the force they will encounter when you go down. If it's a smooth low-side, they may be OK. At least until your bike reaches the edge of the pavement.

No more Sky Kings for me, not on the D675 anyway.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-08, 12:52   #2
novaka240

How'd you hold up, any damage?

Any pics?

Old 07-16-08, 12:54   #3
eden.kwok

alot of ppl have the same problems with those sliders, i think the woodcraft would be the best, but you need to drill your fairing....so you gotta give up something for something i suppose. And yes how did you hold up?

Old 07-16-08, 13:48   #4
ArBrnSnpr

You are the thrid person I've heard of who had skyking frame slider damage the cam cover on the 675.

One of these indiviguals called skyking and asked them what type of stress testing they do on their products, and the owner said "none"

They mill a part until it fits, then claim it will handle the force of an accident.....

I think triumph675.net should boycot skyking.

Old 07-16-08, 14:12   #5
andyp65

+1 for GB racing Sliders beefy and well constructed.

Old 07-16-08, 14:27   #6
Sammy901

R & G & Woodcraft are the only way to go in my biased opinion--I crashed tested both sides (60-70 at Jennings/25ish street crash-***** induced) and no engine/case damage at all. The Woodcraft Case covers took a hit, but only the slider portion which is cheaply replaced.

I've got a set of Woodcraft sliders now since I couldn't find any place that just sold the sliders by themselves-I'll have to open the whole in the fairing a little bit, but that'll be easy once I finally get off my ass and change out the shagged ones.

Old 07-16-08, 14:28   #7
cintron.ben
Race Team Sponsor

Woodcraft are cheap and seem like they would hold up in a crash..I didn't mind cutting my race bodywork and since I rashed my street fairings in a low side I don't really care about those either.

Old 07-16-08, 15:50   #8
seanogee
Race Team Sponsor

I agree that everyone should be steered clear of Sky King sliders. I had them on my Speed Four and they bent twice. Third times a charm!

I'm going with Woodcraft or R&G. Has anyone here been down on the GB sliders? They look pretty good, but so did the Sky Kings.

The bike went down fast on top of my right leg. I didn't have time to do anything. My tail piece is broken and the assembly is bent some. I'm still limping around a week later. It really smushed my foot, but nothing seems to be broken.. Fortunately my son just picked up a prescription for Oxycodone. I don't like what it does to my head, but it made the pain go away.

The really bad part is I was scheduled for Road Atlanta July 25 & 26. My cam cover is on back order, so I had to cancel. I think I'll ride down anyway and watch some. Who knows, the 675 might be ready by then or maybe I'll ride my little Suzuki Motard.

Sean

Old 07-16-08, 15:56   #9
seanogee
Race Team Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaka240 View Post
How'd you hold up, any damage?

Any pics?
No pics this time. I loaded up (with help!) and hauled it to the dealer as fast as I could. The first thing through my mind when I went down was "Oh no! Atlanta is in two weeks!!!".
I had great pics when my Sprint was demolished a few years ago and an action pic of my crash at Atlanta 4 years ago, but nothing this time.

Sean

Old 07-16-08, 17:14   #10
Socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanogee View Post
There was some discussion here about those offsets and how they would hold up. Well, now I know for sure.
Sean, sorry to hear what happened. I don't think there was much discussion, as you're certainly not the first to have this happen. Infact, there are MANY stories of those sliders causing this.

I urge people whom are looking for sliders to check out the Sato's from sportbiketrackgear...

I like the GSG's, but as long as you don't buy them from Brit customs... :)
'07 Daytona - sold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement