Triumph 675 Forums banner

DEI Reflect-A-GOLD

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  OzMoto 
#1 ·
I picked up a 24"x24" and a 12"x24" sheet of DEI Reflect-A-GOLD for a sweet deal from another member here. Where would you use this first? Underside of the tank or underside of the airbox?

#6 ·
Good to know. So would any heat reflecting tape work, like the kind from an auto parts store or is this a scenario of don't get the cheap stuff? I see the silver heat shield at AutoZone and O'Reilly's but is it as good or nowhere near the same as the DEI stuff?

Reactions: Plasmatoast
#9 ·
try it on a 2006-2012.. Someone should build a more efficient unit in carbon fiber already.

#11 ·
Reviving this for a few quick questions. Sheet or roll of tape? Is one easier to work with than the other? I assume equal benefits between the two since it's the same product just cut differently.

#12 · (Edited)
With a 24"x24" and 12"x24" sheet I was able to do the underside of the tank, the entire airbox and the box that holds the ECU in place. I still have quite a large hunk remaining that I will probably use for the fuel line, fuel rails and small portions for the tank and airbox that I did not cover.

Lessons learned:
As you can see I have lots of ugly wrinkles and bubbles under the tank. Oh-well... Don't attempt to cut out big shapes to do the tank, use smaller strips.

This is far more time consuming than you think it will be...

To remove the foam under the tank I used a hair dryer to heat and peel the adhesive. It worked well but the entire time I was waiting for the fuel to expand and come spitting out the vents and it did.
Gasoline will turn the foam's adhesive in to gelatin. I imagine this is what napalm is like. As the gasoline drys out the remaining balls of glue that you tried to scrub out will become even stickier than before.

Convex shapes are far easier to wrap than concave shapes.

Attachments

#13 ·
Sorry for the old thread dig.

Looking at this, for a 24" x 24" sheet of this, it is around $120.00AUD.

Is this purely for performance? Haven't really looked into this kind of stuff, but for $139 there has to be *some* type of gain, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.