Triumph 675 Forums banner

What boots do you use?

30K views 121 replies 70 participants last post by  Acguy619 
#1 ·
Hi. I have some Alpinestars SMX-5 boots and they are fine, but after about 3 hours or so of street riding they start to hurt. What boots do you use and how do you use them? I am looking to get a sport boot with touring comfort.

#33 ·
For me the use is really not important. Race boots offer the most protection and generally street boots offer the least. I look at race boots because I absolutely want the most protection if a car hits me. The feet are at bumper level, although if a dump truck hits me boots won't matter. So at the end of the day for the most protection I get race, but different race boots have different features too....

#35 ·
My race and "just having fun out in the twisties" boots are the Sidi Vortice. NOT comfortable for walking around in, but offer a crap ton of protection! Plus the hard bits are replaceable should you need to - way cheaper than a new pair of boots! :thumbup:

I have a pair of Vertigo that I wear for summer commuting. Some A* shorties for around town and an A* adventure boot for winter riding.

#37 ·
After selling my Vertigo Airs, I tried the SMX 5 (or could've been SMX 6) at Cycle Gear as a replacement, but didn't like the build quality of the boots. For some reason they didn't seem on par with the Sidis I had.

Was searching online for some time and was opting for different makes of boots and even considered riding shoes; and regretted selling my Vertigos. But in the end I went back to getting Vertigo Airs that were lightly used because the "air" versions were discontinued.

As for riding shoes I had some Shift Kickers in the past and would only recommend those (or any type of riding shoes) for commuting or light rides only. Went down with the Shift Kickers in the canyons and have two screws in my right ankle from that off. I think that if I would've had my Vertigos on that day, my ankle would've been good.

#40 ·
As for riding shoes I had some Shift Kickers in the past and would only recommend those (or any type of riding shoes) for commuting or light rides only. Went down with the Shift Kickers in the canyons and have two screws in my right ankle from that off. I think that if I would've had my Vertigos on that day, my ankle would've been good.
It's funny you say that only since the reason I try to steer people away from the Vertigos is their lack of ankle support. Without a foot in them you can just bend them side to side. The worst crash I've had was at the track and resulted in a badly sprained ankle that still affects me today (almost 2 years after), and if I had my Gaerne GP1s or my Alpinestars Supertech Rs on, I'm pretty sure I would have been fine, or at least in much better shape.

#39 ·
I've just bought a pair of Alpinestars SMX Plus, and absolutely love them even before they have been broken in. Pretty comfortable to walk around in.
The inner (non-removable) bootie keeps you nice and secure. Not quite as technical as the Supertech R, but as my everyday boot they are perfect. Once I start doing more track days, I might be able to justify the Supertechs.

My previous boots were Sidi B2's, and although a good entry level boot, only offered minimal protection. The quality was fantastic though, and after 4 years are still in pretty good condition.

In the end I went with Alpinestars, as they are a slightly wider boot then the Sidi's and fit my foot better.

#42 ·
This thread just cost me $450 ...

I wasn't even considering new boots ... But this thread got me looking at the super tech r, and I had to have them.

I upgraded from the SMX 5. I had no problems with them and found them very comfortable. But the super tech r got me with all the new safety features (and they look bad ass).

Just finished the first ride. They are definitely more bulky than the SMX 5. I was having a hard time finding the shift lever as accurately. This should pass with time. Everything else has been awesome so far. Great fit ... Love the inner boot.

But yeah ... 450 I hadn't planned to spend this past Monday .... THANKS GUYS!!! ;-)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

#53 ·
Humm.... Coming from a cruiser, I wear Chippewa Odessa Rally boots... might need to look into different footwear when using the sportbike...

#62 ·
I have the smx-2 and smx plus , both are very comfortable for long rides

#63 ·
Alpinestars Supertech R

I've had these boots for about one year and they are the best investment I have made gear wise. They do up really tight (if you want them tight) and are so comfy. I can walk around in these all day if need be and I tested that out at World Super Bikes round one at Philip Island early this year as I didn't have spare shoes with me. They are like some snowboard boots with the draw string inner boot. I love these boots and would highly recommend them.

FYI
I have quite a wide front foot.

#64 ·
What I wear daily is a pair of Icon field armor mesh boots I got off a member here like 3-4 years ago. Did Indy MotoGP last year in them and damn my feet were hurting after the ride home, they are heavy and do not flex well at all for walking around. However they are very solid and have little to no wear anywhere on them.

#65 ·
Alpinestars SMX 5 - My brother has them and I've ridden in them. I can see them protecting you for sliding but the ankle movement was a bit soft for me, ie sprained ankle possibly.

Alpinestar SMX Plus - I ended up buying these, stiffer ankle, non-removable inner booty gives a nice locked-down feeling, and very comfortable.

Alpinestars Supertech R - I tried these on and they were pretty amazing, but I couldn't be bothered with the removable booty coming out every time I took them off. The SMX Plus was a nice compromise between all 3.

#68 ·
Alpinestars Supertech R - I tried these on and they were pretty amazing, but I couldn't be bothered with the removable booty coming out every time I took them off. The SMX Plus was a nice compromise between all 3.
For what it's worth, I never remove the inner boot. Once I got it where I wanted I just unzip the outer boot, loosen the inner boot all of the way, and pull my foot out that way. I never really separate the two unless i think I have a rock or something stuck in-between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.