Triumph 675 Forums banner

Race Kit Valve Springs

15K views 74 replies 23 participants last post by  simmo 
#1 ·
Has anyone found an alternative to the race kit valve springs? They are kinda pricey from Triumph.

Anyone specd out the kit springs?

Loking to see if anything else aftermarket is out there..... not digging anything up.

#9 ·
Hmm, why hide this kind of info? Help out your fellow triumph racers!

If I get my hands in the bike like I plan to someday, I will research whatever options I can while I have it apart, and share the info with all of you. I'm on a Suzuki atv forum for my z400 and it seems like there's a TON more info about nodding the engine, different came/valves/springs that can be used. I can't believe there's more info for that thing than a race bike?

#10 ·
I'd be all over sending the head in if shipping wasn't so costly and I don't think the head is necessary. Measurements could easily be provided if required. If they want to be able to assemble the head and test by turning the top end over, they would also need the bottom end. I just find some companies are not as willing to go the little extra mile for our "rare" bikes.

I think that now that the bike has been around for a few years, there will be more guys tearing into them. I'm looking forward to the information that will become available.

I guess I should post more of my random findings as well.....

#11 ·
Shipping a head in the US is cheap. I think I paid $25 FedEx ground. Yea, probably double that for Canada, but still not bad.

Remember, Daytonas are a very small minority of bikes on the market, maybe 1/5 of the average CBR production annually. Even smaller for race bikes, maybe 1/30 th of the number of R6s on the grid. The smaller the market, the smaller the sales, the harder it is to make a profit off tooling and such.

I've always had sort of rare bikes in the past 20 years, so I'm used to the issues with parts development. It's the price you pay to feel special :laugh:

But, I would also think just sending them a spring should be enough to work with. Same with the retainers. Unless maybe their goal is to vastly improve on the design.

#12 ·
I would think the spring and some other numbers including measured coil bind....cam profile..etc...should be enough.

Last few emails didn't leave a good impression with me on another matter with APE. Told me I didn't need something.....Told me to wait until my motor failed....then they would provide what I needed. Found a competitor that had no problem selling me what I wanted.

Shipping a head in the US is cheap. I think I paid $25 FedEx ground. Yea, probably double that for Canada, but still not bad.

Remember, Daytonas are a very small minority of bikes on the market, maybe 1/5 of the average CBR production annually. Even smaller for race bikes, maybe 1/30 th of the number of R6s on the grid. The smaller the market, the smaller the sales, the harder it is to make a profit off tooling and such.

I've always had sort of rare bikes in the past 20 years, so I'm used to the issues with parts development. It's the price you pay to feel special :laugh:

But, I would also think just sending them a spring should be enough to work with. Same with the retainers. Unless maybe their goal is to vastly improve on the design.

#14 ·
I'll decide what my wants and needs are as a paying customer. I'm open to advice, but in the end my $$$ will go to the business that will satisfy my requirements.

Anyhow, valve bits (less the head....) have been sent out to a very knowledgable head lad. He took a very keen interest in my request, and will do his best to come up with something. If or when replacement springs are available, I will point y'all in the right direction.

#15 ·
Ok seems liek a good time to make a ressurection...

Its season over in Sweden and im getting itchy fingers for taking the engine out of the frame. The full plan will depend on budget (as usual).... so the question returns...Is there an alternative source of Race quality valve springs?

So far it seems that the Triumph ones are rather expensive.
There are possibly some Suzuki springs that would work...though nobody will say what the part number is or where they come from?

Is there anywhere else?

#21 ·
OK Its me thats holding out on the Suzuki springs we used and for good reason. We spent a lot of money to save a buck and its not information we want to give away freely. We use Suzuki GSXR600 K2 springs with spacers. I will leave it up to you guys to figure out the spacers dims.
Ok, the question why comes to mind. Was it the process of getting the springs to work that cost more or the springs themselves?

#23 ·
Well thanks to whoever scooped up the race valve springs from ebay... Had them for a noticable difference from what they were offering them but when i went to buy they were sold, guessing for full price.. congrats!

#25 ·
Wasn't me :)

Sorry If its stirred it up a bit....but single source for most things is a pain in the arse. much better if you know you have some options.

Sure we can take the Triumph kit...but its good to know if you have other possibilities
without a doubt options are a good thing, and with how much most original manufacturers GOUGE you on pricing, aftermarket is a nice option.

#28 ·
I'm sure most of the time is where the expense was. The R&D to figure out the correct installed height as the springs and the dimensions for the spacers. I don't know the specifications but making spacers really isn't that complicated. I'm also guessing they probably farm out that work so there is some cost there, but not much in the grand scheme of things. I would also venture to say that some of the so-called high cost is merely justification for keeping it a secret, which a business has a right to do.

#29 · (Edited)
The springs are £10 each. The development work and the testing is what takes time. Remember its spring and like a spring used on suspension it can have a massive effect getting it wrong. We run the same spacers as one of the other top tuners, another tuner runs even bigger spacers. Many keep their spacers secret even to other tuners. If you want to know more send me your cylinder head and we will flow it, fit what ever cams you want, slot the cam sprockets, fit the springs and spacers and you will have a good head.

#30 ·
The springs are £10 each. The development work and the testing is what takes time. Remember its spring and like a spring used on suspension it can have a massive effect getting it wrong. We run the same spacers as one of the other top tuners, another tuner runs even bigger spacers. Many keep their spacers secret even to other tuners. One thing I will give away is run stock springs, cams and 1.5mm spacers. If you want to know more send me your cylinder head and we will flow it, fit what ever cams you want, slot the cam sprockets, fit the springs and spacers and you will have a good head.
Big problem for most is the shipping there and back and hoping there is no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.