Triumph 675 Forums banner

GPR Stabilizer - Set screws and turning effort

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  j-moges 
#1 ·
I bought a used GPR V1 steering stabilizer a little while ago and am having trouble figuring out what's wrong here. It's on an 07 Daytona

I installed the damper and checked my steering before I went on a short shakedown ride and it was more difficult than I thought it should be to turn the bars with the damper set to 1. Also it only took me about 100ft to realize the steering was bad. Tipping the bike back and forth was very weird, varying levels of force.

I turned around immediately and backed the set screws out a bit. It's much better when the set screws aren't torqued down, but I don't want them to come out. Turning the bars at speed was consistent.

The steering stem nut I was given was orange and the same dimensions as my stock steering stem nut, I thought that was a little weird when installing it. What I think is happening is the steering stabilizer bottom is rubbing against the steering stem nut top when I torque the set screws down (the ones that attach the stabilizer to the mount) making it harder to turn because the two are rubbing.

Can anyone with a GPR give me suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Have an 07 Daytona and a V1. However I didn't install the mount originally, so I can't quite visualize what's going on with the screws. I had issues with inconsistent force turning the bars, and I sent it to GPR to be serviced (free other than shipping). Made a big difference. Not sure that's what's going on for you though.

Bike is 30 feet from me. Want pics or something?

#3 ·
Have an 07 Daytona and a V1. However I didn't install the mount originally, so I can't quite visualize what's going on with the screws. I had issues with inconsistent force turning the bars, and I sent it to GPR to be serviced (free other than shipping). Made a big difference. Not sure that's what's going on for you though.

Bike is 30 feet from me. Want pics or something?
Pictures may help. I might call them this week and see about sending it to them for service. Or if I can't get this figured out maybe someone there can help me out. It's such a simple piece, there can't be too much going on lol

#4 ·
I may have sent you the wrong nut in this case...sorry I had like 3 of them. Shoot me a message I'll give you my number and talk you through it.
Sorry!!!!!

Additionally try flipping it upside down.
Shawn

#5 ·
Haha, don't worry about it. I called GPR and have one on the way. I thought it was weird that it was the same size as my stock nut, even took out my calipers to compare lol. I was going to message you to ask about it but since it even a different color I figured it was the one you were using. Maybe the 08 black SE model had a gold steering stem nut? If I'm still having problems after this new nut comes in I'll shoot you a message.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.